Timeline for processing deer in the warmer weather

Dorsilfin

As a newbie hunter, ill be joining the bow hunting ranks and be heading out this weekend.  The temp's in the catskills are going to be well mildly warm near the mid 70's.

Assuming I down a deer, or bear what kinda time line am I looking at for needing to get them skinned and butchered down?

I've ready to open the cavity up and get ice bags in there pretty quick and Ill already have a few at my cabin regardless so once its out of the woods ill have ice bags in it within a few min. 

I butchered my deer last year but that was in rifle and the temps were much cooler in the 40's so i had some time to hang it a night and then take care of it.

With it this warm, is it advisable to hang it a night? or just process it that day and get it in the freezer?

Ice in the cavity is good but won't cut it in these temps...Get that animal skinned and if you cant quarter it before transport(I'm talking long drives here) then get it in a game bag...I always use 2 to get every thing covered against flys and get it to where you can quarter and pop in a cooler with ice or a fridge..fridge you can wait a day or two...... cooler,unless you constantly(relative term) monitor temps that night or next day ...JMO

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/allen-field-dressing-bag/0000000021067

Edited by growalot

I only have an hour drive home from the cabin so im not too concerened about that.  Thanks for the info, If I manage to get one ill process it at least into quarters and get them into my cooler with some ice packs until I can get home and do the fine butchering.

asap. if i get one soon I will take the backstraps, tender loins, neck and body meat, vacuum seal them then quarter the legs and throw them in the coolers whole with ice until I can find time to butcher them.

Edited by blackradio

I process my own.  Years ago I started peeking in craigslist for an old fridge.  I got a cheap one for $10.  I keep it clean and only fire it up for parties, deer season or cold stabilizing wine.

Remove your innies, backstraps, quarter the legs, and peel the neck as you like it.

Put the meat in the fridge till you are ready to start cutting.

the doe I killed Tuesday I just hung for about half hour, cleaned it out, let the blood drip then put her in the truck with a bag of ice in the chest cavity. Hour and half drive then butchered it right away. I dont do the whole deer processor thing anymore... had a couple of bad experiences and too many people tell me they dont get their actual deer back...

• Like 1

the doe I killed Tuesday I just hung for about half hour, cleaned it out, let the blood drip then put her in the truck with a bag of ice in the chest cavity. Hour and half drive then butchered it right away. I dont do the whole deer processor thing anymore... had a couple of bad experiences and too many people tell me they dont get their actual deer back...

I can see that during gun season they are just an assembly plant... but bow not many to cut and do a good job. Gun season I'll do myself all the time