Big deer taken on Long Island

First-light

Let's see what they come up with. Remember 1 thing this is the beginning of the season and that deer has been doing nothing but eating. A big deer like that could easily shed a lot of  lbs during the rut. 

Indeed, but, do a search for 300lb Whitetail anywhere and see how rare it is. That is state record weight material.

• Like 1

they said close to 300lbs... that could fall short of 300lbs by 30lbs or so, that could be close in their eyes. 

250# deer are NOT rare out here on the island, especially weeks before the rut kicks off and they start to drop weight, i dont see it being a long shot.. JMO

im not saying this deer is 300lbs, way to hard to judge by this pic anyway but big body deer exist and you dont have to go to canada or mid west to shoot one...

• Like 2

My brothers friend shot a doe years ago in Putnam County on state land. He gutted it and brought it to the butcher. The butcher couldn't believe how big it was. He weighed it at 210lbs already gutted. The kid had no idea, it was his first deer. He thought it was a typical doe and that dragging a deer is really hard work.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Trying to get more info. They said it was very close to 300lbs. People don't be so negative, there are some very big deer on Long Island. 

i'm not sure it's negativity, but there are some odd things you must admit. A headless hunter, unsure of weight being dressed or not, a picture angle that is known to enlarge, the guy is sitting on the deer so you can't see his body and no scale shots. A nice rack too, but not a monster (not that it matters all the time). I've seen some pigs dressed out at 220ish... that looked much bigger.

You would hard pressed to find 300lb deer taken any where, very few come from Maine.

The deer that was taken in NY. and confinscated by the DEC was weighed by them,the second one in the Westhampton area of L.I., Ny. was seen for 2 hunting seasons by fellows that have hunted all over the world,pretty sure the would not BS about it. It's tracks in the ground were 6"" long.It is thought that a poucher got it and sold the head, very common L.I., The 3 rd. 280 pound deer was weighed at a shop that did the mount, it also had big feet.