Uphill shooting

irish_redneck

I agree with Eddie.  and here is why it is true.

New2bow.---try this. take a string or rope or even a tape measure. hold one end in you bow hanf and the other end in your release hand. keep the string tight and hold it just like you are shooting level. Now while still standing up. lower you bow hand like shooting at a target below the stand. what is the string doing in your release hand?  does the string pull through your release hand and need to be longer?  More tension especially if shooting a bow with no hard back wall will make it shoot higher than on level.

Now  dothe same thing uphill without bending back. Start level and rasie you bow arm. The string starts to sag. decreasing the draw removes energy in the limbs causing you to shoot lower that on the level.  especially with bow without very agressive cams.

I think this contributes to the shooting high downhill and shooting low uphill myth. when in realith if you were to have a pin for the EXACT horizontal yardage from the stand you would be right on. But we don't have that many pins. Most start at 20 and that is why that pin needs to be held low.

Ok fess up time....how many got a string or something out and tried it? how did it turn out?

post-152-0-64037200-1382471577_thumb.jpg

Cross section of a deers chest.

Yellow would be a typical bullseye heart shot for a level (at the range) type of shot.

Green are a couple possibel paths of the arrow from elevated using the same shot on the side of the deer we would shoot at on the level.

Purple is an adjusted target point to hit the target IN the middle of the deer.

I know many don't even this about this because it is just second nature. Just thought I would throw aout a graphic of what some on here are trying to reinforce.

• Like 4

This is not an accusation or judgement of up hill shooters- Lets also not forget the "know your target AND BEYOND" rule with up hill shots - was she on the top of a peak and you were below? Impossible to know what's on the other side of the mountain if she jumps the string or the shot is missed high if our physics are wrong(I know mine would be) - be safe first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 2

Crappyice, true words! I think the shot would qualify as bad in the strictest sense, but you tell me. I'm hunting 35 acres of private land, and I'm the only hunter with permission on the land. No one could be moving on the other side of the hill ( unless they were ranger/sniper trained, without me hearing them, and without them pushing the deer hard towards me. If I shot high, it could have gone over the deer and into the thick woods between hill and water( maybe a thousand ft to the water) As a newbie, I welcome support and feedback (including critical opinions), I'm just looking to learn here.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't there a thread last year that had a diagram explaining the math/ angles from tree stands? I think it also had a link to a pretty cool flash app that had different shots and scored you on where you clicked. Anyone have a link to that thread?

The poster should of used tags so it can be easily pulled up!