Warm Weather?

skeets716

Any opinions on hunting in "warm" weather?  Let's say 55 & Sunny +.  It's my opinion that days like these are better off spent at camp.  Seems like the deer just don't move unless you walk up on them.  I was 15 miles east of Sandy Creek, NY on the Mad River Club property and while out Muzzleloading and checking on tree stands, didn't see a single flag.  I know this is possible on even the best hunting condition days but a lot of the Doe on this property don't spook as you cannot hunt them.  Seems like whenever there is a real mild day, activity just stops.  I appreciate any opinions you might have.

I recall several seasons, where on warm sunny days, highs in the 70's, some sunny, some cloudy, some windy...... and I saw the biggest bucks of the season. Why? I don't know, maybe just the rut but it was early to mid Nov each time. Ever since those encounters I'm out there any time I can get out.  I've seen plenty of slow days when it's warm, but I know there's always a chance to see something.

• Like 1

Any opinions on hunting in "warm" weather?  Let's say 55 & Sunny +.  It's my opinion that days like these are better off spent at camp.  Seems like the deer just don't move unless you walk up on them.  I was 15 miles east of Sandy Creek, NY on the Mad River Club property and while out Muzzleloading and checking on tree stands, didn't see a single flag.  I know this is possible on even the best hunting condition days but a lot of the Doe on this property don't spook as you cannot hunt them.  Seems like whenever there is a real mild day, activity just stops.  I appreciate any opinions you might have.

I feel the same way , hot ,warm weather , the deer don't move . But I get a ton of pictures at night , so the deer are there .

So the deer dont eat and drink because its warm out?  Do they starve themsleves all summer?  They move, maybe not as much but they are moving.  Up here in the northern zone our bow season has started in the warm weather for years and years and I still see deer actively moving in warm conditions.  Find some water sources is always a good warm hunting strategy as well.

my cam has a ton of deer on it and its mid 60s. deer move in all weather, you have to be in your stand to kill them. just pulled my cam and yesterday was the first day i finally have pics from all day deer activity with multiple bucks in day light hours and yesterday was mid 60s.

I used to think the same way. When it's warmer the deer don't move. But my last 2 bucks were taken in 50 plus degree weather. The thing that really sucks is getting the meat taken care of fast before it spoils. Usually if it's cold I'll leave it hanging on the tree for a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

As stated the deer still move.  My bigger concern in hunting is warmer weather is game care after you get something. As I am sure you all know, it requires better cooling techniques.  I use ice in the chest cavity for while I am still at camp.   Warm windy days have been a better set up for me over the years. I will say in warmer weather the mid day activity seems to slow down though.  earlier morning and closer to evening are better.  Holy crap it is warm and windy.  Off to camp I go.

Edited by bubba