Ellenville

Ruben

Ok so I did read the hunting guide and I was still lost lol. So I can go for bear now and if I see a deer I can get it too. Is that how I should look at it? I don't have a bow I would be hunting with guns I should be fine right? If I'm right I can go hunting with guns now I think. is everyone else hunting with guns?

Ok so I did read the hunting guide and I was still lost lol. So I can go for bear now and if I see a deer I can get it too. Is that how I should look at it? I don't have a bow I would be hunting with guns I should be fine right? If I'm right I can go hunting with guns now I think. is everyone else hunting with guns?

if you'rs asking if you can hunt with guns now, I highly doubt you read the guide.

I did but it said something like having to use last years License. I'll just have to read it again now that I see some people just don't like to help others out when they have questions only when they need to know something. Like I said I'm new to this everything is new to me so I'm just trying to make sure I ask someone that knows before I do something wrong or miss understand something.

Well, giving the benefit of the doubt I'll give my honest opinion assuming this is on the level.

Forget this year.  Use the time to study, read, study more, spend time in the outdoors through out next spring, summer, and fall. And spend a LOT of time at a range until you can shoot proficiently. Read and study some more. Then when you think you have it, practice some more.

Going hunting takes a LOT more work than simply buying a gun and walking in the woods.

• Like 1

i have been hunting since the age of 16........... those years before that i was the snot nosed kid that fetched another beer for one of THE HUNTER's at my uncles deer camp. alls i can tell you is that every single person who is a member of this forum started out the same place you are............ the snot nose no nothing about nothing wanna be a hunter. that being said...... Welcome to the world of hunting. Get out into the woods....... pay attention....... ASK alot of questions....... and then ask somemore. as for other hunters giving you a hard time........... when you put in enough time into hunting and you get lucky a few times.......... you will do the same. best of luck to you and with that being said.......... start reading.

• Like 1

yeah mabey we are being baited...... conned....... scammed.......what ever ya want to call it. at the same time if a new hunter really is a new hunter we owe it to ourselves to suck it up roll your eyes and give out the general what to do what not to do and what ever you do BE SAFE.

• Like 1

Well, giving the benefit of the doubt I'll give my honest opinion assuming this is on the level.

Forget this year.  Use the time to study, read, study more, spend time in the outdoors through out next spring, summer, and fall. And spend a LOT of time at a range until you can shoot proficiently. Read and study some more. Then when you think you have it, practice some more.

Going hunting takes a LOT more work than simply buying a gun and walking in the woods.

thank you

i have been hunting since the age of 16........... those years before that i was the snot nosed kid that fetched another beer for one of THE HUNTER's at my uncles deer camp. alls i can tell you is that every single person who is a member of this forum started out the same place you are............ the snot nose no nothing about nothing wanna be a hunter. that being said...... Welcome to the world of hunting. Get out into the woods....... pay attention....... ASK alot of questions....... and then ask somemore. as for other hunters giving you a hard time........... when you put in enough time into hunting and you get lucky a few times.......... you will do the same. best of luck to you and with that being said.......... start reading.

Smiling right now thank you will do

yeah mabey we are being baited...... conned....... scammed.......what ever ya want to call it. at the same time if a new hunter really is a new hunter we owe it to ourselves to suck it up roll your eyes and give out the general what to do what not to do and what ever you do BE SAFE.

really thank you

If you are not seriously just baiting looking poachers, but brand new hunter.  You definitely need to re-read the regulations.

You can print out a list of season form the DEC website for quick reference to carry with you as needed.

I have not taken a shot and gotten back home only to see that it was already in season - better to err on side of caution than be locked up for poaching.

Here is a quick break down:

Current gun season (smoothbore shotgun) is for Pheasant, squirrel, rabbit, coyote, fox, raccoon, bobcat, goose/duck (subscribe to HIPs and purchase Federal Migratory stamp), and Turkey(if your purchased turkey tags).  Of course this also means a different round for taking those: 

# 71/2 or 6 's for pheasant, squirrel, rabbit

# 6 or 4, or 2's for Turkey

Non-lead #6, 4, or 2'S for goose or duck

For goose or duck there is a limit to use a gun that can hold no more than 3 rounds (federal migration game law)

Deer and bear gun season starts on Nov. 16th until Dec 8th. for the southern zone.

Last years license is for use prior to Oct 1.st when the 2013/14 licenses take effect.  That would be only for early bow in the Northern zone, and squirrel in the southern zone.

I grew up in another state and had different dates for the hunting season and some differences in game species.  So I always check and have it marked on a calender for easy reference.

Edited by Two Track