Sooo pissed at myself right now.....

ants

If it's pouring rain it does not matter how much you practiced, you let em walk. No doubt that deer chasing each other around your tree will get your heart pumping, but in the excitement mistakes get made. Too much can go wrong under the best of circumstances. Shooting deer in down pour rain is inviting disaster, heart aches, excuses and dead deer that have little hope of being recovered. If you can get ahold of the deer search people with their dogs it may be your best chance to find your deer. Good luck finding your buck.

+1 I always figure the blood tracking is part of archery, a part that doesn't go well if it's raining.

• Like 1

Now replace the word bow with the word gun and we have a statement that you made a few posts ago.  Indecisive prick.

Two totally different results with the two weapons. I won't hunt in the rain with a bow if it is substantial. I will with a gun because I know I can anchor them where they stand with a shoulder shot. No tracking required.

I have been on tracking trips for friends to try an recover deer shot with a bow. One this year was a high hit with no exit down low. it started pouring and the blood was gone. even the blood we marked during the tracking was nothing but wet toilet paper with no sign of blood. It wasn't a great shot.

Hey it happens even in good weather on bluebird days. but I think these threads, if nothing else give some reading to new bowhunters so they understand the real risks that we run into and gives them more information to base their decissions. on . I don't think you are doing them a service by painting a picture that bowhunting in the pouring rain doesn't come with risks of not recovering.

And Ants---hope you find him.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 3

I don't ride my motorcycle in the rain. I almost never hunt in any rain above a drizzle or passing shower. It's not enjoyable. The season is long enough that I don't need to start resenting something I love so much. That is, of course all dependent on when I schedule vacation or if it's late in the season. I'm fortunate enough where I can usually take days off with little notice though.

I have bowhunted off and on for about 30 years and haven't even thought about not hunting in the rain.  That being said, I wouldn't go out in a downpour simply because of the discomfort.  I have, however shot a deer in the rain with a bow and recovered it.  No blood trail and I was lucky.  Found the deer the next day in an area with pretty fair visibility.  After reading this thread though I will be more thoughtful when considering bowhunting in the rain.  I do think deer movement is much better in a light rain and it helps mask your scent.  For those being so critical, I can remember the days many years ago before I killed my first deer.  I wanted one so bad and my adrenaline was in overdrive for weeks before the season.  In addition, I hunted the Adirondacks where deer numbers are sparse.  To tell me back then that I shouldn't shoot a deer in the rain would have been preposterous.  Today, a different story.  So I think there are lots of factors involved.  I suspect that those who let a lot of deer pass are experienced hunters and also hunt areas where they at least see a lot of deer during the season.  If you hunt areas where deer numbers are low you spend many hours on stand and see nothing, so its a much different scenario (IMO) than hunting areas where deer are plentiful.  I think some folks watch too much television.

Today, a different story. So I think there are lots of factors involved. I suspect that those who let a lot of deer pass are experienced hunters and also hunt areas where they at least see a lot of deer during the season. If you hunt areas where deer numbers are low you spend many hours on stand and see nothing, so its a much different scenario (IMO) than hunting areas where deer are plentiful. I think some folks watch too much television.

I agree with this. I haven't shot a deer bow hunting in rain, but I have gone days without seeing deer. And I don't mean a lot of deer and not being able to get a shot, or just a few deer...I mean, no deer. After a season of sits like that, if you see an 8 pointer I don't even know if I'd remember that it was raining out.

I have bowhunted off and on for about 30 years and haven't even thought about not hunting in the rain. That being said, I wouldn't go out in a downpour simply because of the discomfort. I have, however shot a deer in the rain with a bow and recovered it. No blood trail and I was lucky. Found the deer the next day in an area with pretty fair visibility. After reading this thread though I will be more thoughtful when considering bowhunting in the rain. I do think deer movement is much better in a light rain and it helps mask your scent. For those being so critical, I can remember the days many years ago before I killed my first deer. I wanted one so bad and my adrenaline was in overdrive for weeks before the season. In addition, I hunted the Adirondacks where deer numbers are sparse. To tell me back then that I shouldn't shoot a deer in the rain would have been preposterous. Today, a different story. So I think there are lots of factors involved. I suspect that those who let a lot of deer pass are experienced hunters and also hunt areas where they at least see a lot of deer during the season. If you hunt areas where deer numbers are low you spend many hours on stand and see nothing, so its a much different scenario (IMO) than hunting areas where deer are plentiful. I think some folks watch too much television.

I've been out 10-15 times this season, and probably logged 100+ hours in the woods from those days. Of those days, I've seen deer a handful of times, and of those, maybe 2 of those I could have taken a shot. Clear skies and no thick stuff around to cause any trouble tracking. And by no means am I an experienced hunter. I passed those shots. Not because I don't want to, but because I didn't feel it was a high enough probability in an easy recovery for me. It was ethics that told me not to shoot. It is also a lack of ethics that led up to this injured, unrecoverable deer in this thread.

PS, I don't watch any TV.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

The definition of what is ethical will vary with each hunter.  I agree that it is very very important for each bowhunter to recognize their limitations and to stay within those limitations.  What is ethical is not cut and dried however.  While I'm sure there are certain ethical matters that everyone will agree on, there is much grey area and perhaps hunting in the rain is one of them, and of course, you must define what you mean by rain.  There are just too many variables to pass judgement on another hunter (at least in this case, IMO).  Where I begin to have issues is when someone thinks that their definition of ethics is the only one and adopt a "holier than thou" attitude--and I'm not directing that at any particular person.  If the shoe fits.....      Passing judgement in a condescending way usually results in one's comments getting totally rejected versus making a suggestion in a less offensive way, which may get the person on the receiving end to listen.

• Like 3

The definition of what is ethical will vary with each hunter. I agree that it is very very important for each bowhunter to recognize their limitations and to stay within those limitations. What is ethical is not cut and dried however. While I'm sure there are certain ethical matters that everyone will agree on, there is much grey area and perhaps hunting in the rain is one of them, and of course, you must define what you mean by rain. There are just too many variables to pass judgement on another hunter (at least in this case, IMO). Where I begin to have issues is when someone thinks that their definition of ethics is the only one and adopt a "holier than thou" attitude--and I'm not directing that at any particular person. If the shoe fits..... Passing judgement in a condescending way usually results in one's comments getting totally rejected versus making a suggestion in a less offensive way, which may get the person on the receiving end to listen.

I feel like Cinderella, the shoe fits. I couldn't care less if the OP takes any advice from this thread, I have a feeling he won't anyway. Been in a few "discussions" and he's shown me his willingness to listen to others. I'm more concerned about others who think they can get away with situations like these and thinks its ok.

just my 2 cents,   what ant did  was not a  very good move, I gave up bow hunting years ago because  I felt wounding a animal and not recovering it is the worst. We as responsible hunters  owe that to the animals and to  the sport. As for ant he probably  feels real bad and schould have learned a very serious lesson, hell we all learn from our mistakes thats one reason we go on this site to learn and talk about  this game we all love, when I used to bow hunt I thought It was the ultimate rush oh well

just my 2 cents,   what ant did  was not a  very good move, I gave up bow hunting years ago because  I felt wounding a animal and not recovering it is the worst. We as responsible hunters  owe that to the animals and to  the sport. As for ant he probably  feels real bad and schould have learned a very serious lesson, hell we all learn from our mistakes thats one reason we go on this site to learn and talk about  this game we all love, when I used to bow hunt I thought It was the ultimate rush oh well

why would you give up bow hunting due to wounding deer? have you wounded that many and not find them to make you want to quit? 

if thats the case, practice more and understand your equipment and the deer better rather then throwing in the towel. to me bow hunting is one of the ultimate rushes... its all about shot placement, plain and simple, if you hit them in the right place THEY WONT GO FAR. if your hitting them wrong or taking shots you shouldn't be then the margin of losing a deer is far greater. 

i agree taking shots in a down pour is very dumb but just as many deer are lost to gun as they are to bow. most of the time is hunter error. being more intune with reading the deer, the angle of the shot and the objects from the deer to you is where guys goof up. they see deer get excited and dont remember to go through the steps. some guys can run through the steps rather quickly some cant at all...

• Like 1

why would you give up bow hunting due to wounding deer? have you wounded that many and not find them to make you want to quit? 

if thats the case, practice more and understand your equipment and the deer better rather then throwing in the towel. to me bow hunting is one of the ultimate rushes... its all about shot placement, plain and simple, if you hit them in the right place THEY WONT GO FAR. if your hitting them wrong or taking shots you shouldn't be then the margin of losing a deer is far greater. 

i agree taking shots in a down pour is very dumb but just as many deer are lost to gun as they are to bow. most of the time is hunter error. being more intune with reading the deer, the angle of the shot and the objects from the deer to you is where guys goof up. they see deer get excited and dont remember to go through the steps. some guys can run through the steps rather quickly some cant at all...

hey geno,  I have never wounded a deer with a arrow and I bow hunted for many years here in suffolk  and up state.And yes I shot every nite in my back yard like you and I had the best of equipment ,and was a better than average shot.W hat made me give It up was on a bow hunt in livingston manor ny  MY buddy who is a great bowman took a 15 yard shot  at a nice  6 point buck, from a tree stand and on release the deer jumped the string and was hit directly in the eye, the deer totally  freaked  and went nuts bouncing off every tree and bush as it ran out of sight. So i was the guy who tracked that deer for at least a half a mile thru other peoples property  out of season with a rifle to put it out of its misery  that was it, I never saw a animal suffer like that. Dont get me wrong I miss bow hunting dearly that was bad. I illegally bow hunting when I was 15 years old on my grandfathers land because  dad woudnt give me a gun im 58 now   oh yea I miss it

so you gave it up because of someone-elses goof? i am with you, that is a disturbing shot on a deer and an experience that will live with you for some time. i see it as an eye opener tho, anything could have happened on that shot, it wasnt your fault or anything you could have done differently. but you could learn from it and make you a better hunter... with the bow...

What ants did was not illegal. Its 100% a matter of ethics. A choice one makes based on if its right, or wrong.

If the shot opportunity was good or at his ability, rain would not make that shot unethical to me. Unethical is taking a low prob shot or not tracking at all.

just my 2 cents, what ant did was not a very good move, I gave up bow hunting years ago because I felt wounding a animal and not recovering it is the worst. We as responsible hunters owe that to the animals and to the sport. As for ant he probably feels real bad and schould have learned a very serious lesson, hell we all learn from our mistakes thats one reason we go on this site to learn and talk about this game we all love, when I used to bow hunt I thought It was the ultimate rush oh well

WTF? Some people need to read some archery loss rate studies before babble nonsense