Wayne and Ontario Rifles

Cabin Fever

I'm ready. I have the .270 zeroed in and ready to do reign hell on those critters that have been making a fool out of me all bow season. I have spent a lot of time shooting, and haven't once thought about flinching from the recoil .... lol. It used to be that if I didn't have that old 12 gauge sighted in within 3 shots, I was in for a long and painful shooting session. No more!

270 I just bought is grouping playing card size groups. Rests for tree stands,open crop fields for half mile or more in 3 directions from my woods,brush lots.

I remember when I Got my ML I was grouping well at 150 yards, shot my opening day buck at 30 .....

it is weird. i never got around to getting a rifle. Most of my stands do not reach out past 100 yards anyhow. my rifled barrel Browning should be just fine for 90% of shots. Next year...

My 1969 Ithaca Deerslayer has gotten more deer than I can remember. It certainly is a very capable gun. possibly the old critter deserves a nice comfortable retirement in the gun cabinet. But absolutely not because it is not up to the job. However, to put in any decent amount of practice with the old guy always turns out to be one hell of a punishing shooting session. My new .270 can be shot all day without any accumulating muscle crushing.  I don't really expect to use the long range capability of the new gun even though that capability will always be available should the occasion arise. But there is no question that the accuracy of the weapon is superior to that shoulder mangling 12 gauge. There is an additional level of confidence available knowing that I have shot a few hundred rounds through the .270. As an aside, there is also the benefit of being able to reload ammo.

a lot of studies have shown that the unless you're hunting open fields, the likelihood of a rifle bullet hitting an unattended target is just the same as a slug. A lot of these studies were used to overturn the slug only counties. My concern though is that NW Wayne county is not really any different than parts of Monroe. And I hope that if there's anyone hunting the fields near Wayne central that theyre using their brain.The rest of Wayne should have been rifle a long time ago. Personally I'm hoping for them to split Onondaga county up and let Tully Valley and other areas use rifle. Seems half the valley does anyhow haha.

Edited by Belo

I read the study by that Minnesota outfit, and I agree that high speed rifle bullets will fragment when they hit something. Their claim that shotguns are less safe than rifles was completely based on the fact that ricochets from a slug hold together longer. However, that is just one aspect of the travel of the projectile. I think they came up a bit short on proving the case that rifles are more safe than shotguns. But both sides of the argument carry enough unknowns that I figured it is worth a try. We'll see what the trial period brings. I just hope everybody keeps a little concern in their minds before pulling the trigger or this may turn out to be a very short experiment and I will have bought a very nice rifle for nothing.