Daily Harvest

Lord of War

Thanks guys.  I was at my local sporting goods store to renew my saltwater license and the employee asked if I wanted additional doe tags.  I was like free?  I declined because I haven't used the tags I already have but now on second thought....more tags couldn't hurt right? Maybe I will have a good weekend and can use em.

you left out the asterisk. You're required to take a pic, brag about it and let us know you're not going to eat any of them.

Well I will only take what I can and will eat and/or what I know I can give away.  I don't intend to hunt for the sake of hunting, but if I do have good fortune I might bag an extra one for you guys haha.

I think it is ethical to do our best to perform the task at hand. Primarily we are inthe business of herd reduction. If we can do it legally,within the limits set by the DEC and do not waste the venison, I do not see an ethical issue. shoot 'em if you got 'em. I know a lot of folks that love venison and do not hunt. when they have their fill I will donate the rest. Personally I don't quit until the season ends or I run out of tags. (still waiting for the latter to happen..lol)

• Like 4

Well I will only take what I can and will eat and/or what I know I can give away.  I don't intend to hunt for the sake of hunting, but if I do have good fortune I might bag an extra one for you guys haha.

so, you don't enjoy the "hunting" itself? I hunt just for the sake of hunting.........if I get a deer or two that's the added bonus.

I think it is ethical to do our best to perform the task at hand. Primarily we are inthe business of herd reduction. If we can do it legally,within the limits set by the DEC and do not waste the venison, I do not see an ethical issue. shoot 'em if you got 'em. I know a lot of folks that love venison and do not hunt. when they have their fill I will donate the rest. Personally I don't quit until the season ends or I run out of tags. (still waiting for the latter to happen..lol)

i too will give some meat away, but if my freezer is full and I'm not filling doe tags because I can. I personally don't have a lot of people willing to pay for butchering and receive a whole deer. I have nothing wrong with donating it to friends either, but part of me likes the fact that i'm feeding my family.

i too will give some meat away, but if my freezer is full and I'm not filling doe tags because I can. I personally don't have a lot of people willing to pay for butchering and receive a whole deer. I have nothing wrong with donating it to friends either, but part of me likes the fact that i'm feeding my family.

For our family and friends we cut up or own so it isn't a cost issue. The donation program isn't a cost either at participating cutters

X2

so, you don't enjoy the "hunting" itself? I hunt just for the sake of hunting.........if I get a deer or two that's the added bonus.

Bad wording on my part....what I meant is I won't kill something for the sake of killing it and saying I bagged another one with no room in the freezer and no plan for the meat afterward. 

I WILL go out and hunt even if I don't bag anything because I enjoy the tranquility and peace of mind as well as the challenge it presents. 

Me personally, I wont shoot a deer that I'm personally going to eat.

Huh?

I just do not see the point in shooting a deer to donate to homeless like I'm some good samaritan.

You dont see the point in donating meat to a program that helps feed less fortunate people, while at the same time helping to control the population of deer?

If it wasnt for population control, hunting as we know it, would end up being done away with. Donating the meat, well, that doesnt need explanation. If you dont get it now, you probably never will.

Huh?

You dont see the point in donating meat to a program that helps feed less fortunate people, while at the same time helping to control the population of deer?

If it wasnt for population control, hunting as we know it, would end up being done away with. Donating the meat, well, that doesnt need explanation. If you dont get it now, you probably never will.

typo. I meant that I would not shoot a deer I wouldn't eat myself.

And that's some pretty wild speculation dude. I'm not sure hunting would be outlawed. I stated I'm not against others doing it, I just said it's not for me. no reason to get all bent out of shape. I do bet there are some guys in areas without dmps and lower populations that would be a little more disagreeable.

typo. I meant that I would not shoot a deer I wouldn't eat myself.

And that's some pretty wild speculation dude. I'm not sure hunting would be outlawed. I stated I'm not against others doing it, I just said it's not for me. no reason to get all bent out of shape. I do bet there are some guys in areas without dmps and lower populations that would be a little more disagreeable.

I never said it would be outlawed. I said it would be nothing like what we know it as now. Remember, we are the minority in this country. By alot. Valid reasons like population control are what keeps the non hunting majority from letting the antis sway them with their BS.

I wouldnt advise filling every tag for the sake of filling them, irregardless of what your local deer herd can withstand. In my area, stack em like cord wood, as Culver would say.

Im not bent out of shape.

idk, perhaps I'm out of touch with the anti hunters but when gun control was real hot, even the anti gun pushers knew hunters were off limits. I think there was a time during the hippy days where hunting wasn't cool. I dont encounter that much if at all. Will there always be people against hunting? sure. but i believe most people recognize hunting as a primal part of who we are.

My opinion is fill the tags if you have something to do with the meat....and go ahead and go for the double or triple if you can manage the drag and processing of the animals without letting anything spoil.

All serious forms of Deer Management (QDMA, Trophy, State Gov's) involves the shooting of does (even fawns) early and often for the purpose of balancing and/or reducing the heard.

I saw somewhere something like only 25% of deer hunters actually fill even 1 tag.  I also like to hunt DMFA and also prefer to use DMAP's when I hunt in the Delaware State Forest in PA.  

Tagged out of my own Bow/MZ's and DMP's this archery season, and I still have 3 tags left (1 Reg, 2 Wife DMP's)...I like to think I'm doing my part.  

Edited by 7J Everyday

idk, perhaps I'm out of touch with the anti hunters but when gun control was real hot, even the anti gun pushers knew hunters were off limits. I think there was a time during the hippy days where hunting wasn't cool. I dont encounter that much if at all. Will there always be people against hunting? sure. but i believe most people recognize hunting as a primal part of who we are.

Not in my experience. Most non-hunters I know realize why deer and other animals need to be hunted. They could care less about anyones "primal urge" to hunt.

The anti-gun stuff has nothing to do with the subject, and there was no "off limits" to the anti-gun side. Plenty of the guns included in the SAFE act bans are of the hunting variety. Semi auto shotguns/rifles with thumb-hole stocks, just for an example.

• Like 1

Not in my experience. Most non-hunters I know realize why deer and other animals need to be hunted. They could care less about anyones "primal urge" to hunt.

The anti-gun stuff has nothing to do with the subject, and there was no "off limits" to the anti-gun side. Plenty of the guns included in the SAFE act bans are of the hunting variety. Semi auto shotguns/rifles with thumb-hole stocks, just for an example.

Belo isn't talking about what it ended up effecting but what they kept saying. They stepeed on their tongue every thime they spoke becasue they couldn't get it out fast enough that hunters were not the focus. Kinda like if you like your insurance and doctor you won't have to change. What they say and the truth are two very different things