Lack of Deer Movement?

Buck$hot

I hunt in Steuben county specifically Prattsburg...I along with a few others around the area haven't noticed much movement since opening weekend...I have been skunked probably three times I have been out this year...I have seen a wopping 5 deer all season in about 24 hours of total hunting time.  We have seen a few scrapes around but not much day time movement, is it the weather or wind or what?  It has been really windy in that area and I am not sure if they have just been bedding down during the day or what.  Anybody else running into this problem?  What do you think about Rut activity and when we are supposed to peak in that area?  I heard this weekend but not to sure...any insight would be good.  Thanks and good luck!!

I am next to you in Allegany County , we havent been seening to much activity either . Opening weekend was the best so far as to seeing deer . I think the wind and warm days are to blame , I think this week and weekend coming up with the colder temps is the time to be out there ...

I think the full moon early and windy daytime conditions have hampered the movement. THe nights have had a marked drop in wind around me and I think that tends to force them to get up and move around when most of us are not inthe woods ;) . The are following though. I saw a nice buck right on a does butt yesterday and he wouldn't give my grunts, bleats or rattles and attention at all. usually they will at least look. He never turned his head. I think the next two weeks will be good if we can get the wind to drop. The temps look like they will stay fairly cool so that should be good....

Good luck

Well it looks to me that there are a lot of people in the same boat as our crew...Please everyone keep posting I am trying to get a good feel for how everyone else is feeling about the rut and how their woods outings are going as far as action goes.  Thanks and good luck!

I guess I am the exception here.  Despite the wind and warm temps, my son and I have seen anywhere from five to ten deer every sit and occasionally a bunch of turkeys, too.

Closed the deal on Sunday (first time with a bow) on a button buck in the morning and an eight point in the evening.  I am not going to complain about windy weather EVER.  Now, we just have to finish processing that venison!