Otsego County hunting fatality

PREDATE

Well I know I will be sorry but from what I read earlier the shooter THOUGHT he saw an antler and fired because he had shot deer in the place before.  Really I mean REALLY.  Identify your target and beyond.  Not sure if he was wearing orange or not, but he never identified a target.  it seems to me most on here say they do not follow the legal shooting hours anyway and now you want the whole world to dress in blaze orange so you do not have to practice safe target identification.  How did any of us ever survive hunting season before blaze orange was the necessity not to shoot someone?  Oh yeah we did not shoot at things we did not know what it was.  What I first read the shooter heard a sound in the brush and fired.  Real safe there.

• Like 1

Well I know I will be sorry but from what I read earlier the shooter THOUGHT he saw an antler and fired because he had shot deer in the place before.  Really I mean REALLY.  Identify your target and beyond.  Not sure if he was wearing orange or not, but he never identified a target.  it seems to me most on here say they do not follow the legal shooting hours anyway and now you want the whole world to dress in blaze orange so you do not have to practice safe target identification.  How did any of us ever survive hunting season before blaze orange was the necessity not to shoot someone?  Oh yeah we did not shoot at things we did not know what it was.  What I first read the shooter heard a sound in the brush and fired.  Real safe there.

I agree, the fact that the other hunter may not have been wearing orange, in no way contributed to this tragedy.......sadly, it all falls onto the shooters shoulders.

• Like 1

I really dont want to open a can of worms here, but I still cant understand how anyone would go in the woods full of gun hunters without wearing blaze orange ! ( not sure that was the case here ) I dont get it.

That's irregardless really. The fact is if people identified their targets before shooting this would never happen.

The thing is how this guy (the shooter) will be able to go to work after shooting his bud from work.... geez...talking about peer pressure... Not that I care about this bozo for what he did, but just saying from the human perspective....

Of all the deer I shot none have even remotely looked like a human, and of all the humans I have come across in the woods none have looked like deer, blaze orange or not these horrible incidents not accidents fall on the back of the person pulling the trigger period, know your target and beyond and where others in your hunting party are suppose to be, and I wear fully camo all the time, 30 years now and yet to have a problem plus it helps to find trespassers, I don't hunt state land, if I did would at least wear a hat

Sad, gun season is scary and worse yet this is typical of most accidental shootings in that the hunters were members of the same party, often they are actually related.

I come from pa, orange is a requirement I just carried that over to ny...when I field dress my harvests I hang all of my orange but my hat all around me.

That said obviously know your target and beyond, shooting 101.

The thing is how this guy (the shooter) will be able to go to work after shooting his bud from work.... geez...talking about peer pressure... Not that I care about this bozo for what he did, but just saying from the human perspective....

You are 100 percent correct.  His life is essentially over also.  I have said and I said in this post, if I am involved let me be the guy who got shot otherwise there would be 2 fatalities at my hands.  It always effects more than the person who was shot.  

• Like 3

These deals are really weird. Hunting is all about getting a specific animal in a very specific way. How do you pick a lethal kill spot on a deer if you can't even see enough of it to define it as a deer. I mean even if you completely disregard the safety aspects of that kind of goofy shooting, what kind of mentality thinks that just flinging lead at some unidentified thing will result in a harvested deer? It seems to me that there are a whole lot of things that were taught in the hunter-safety programs are being completely tossed out of the guy's head.

The course should be mandated every 3 years, with a test.  DO NOT SHOOT AT ORANGE.  Orange is not a deer.      I took my 1st course 35 years ago.  Then I recently sat through a course with my son, and I'm glad I did.

I would sign a petition for NYS DEC to mandate the course every 3-5 years regardless of experience.

In fact, I got my license 35 years ago, then didn't hunt for 20 years.  Then I walked into dicks, and got my license renewed 20 years later.  No course needed.   How stupid is NYS DEC !!!!

Edited by the blur

who do you propose teach these classes when everyone now claims they can not get in a class?  I doubt you would like it much if you could not hunt because all classes were full and you could not get in so you could not get a license.  I do 4 or 5 a year both gun and bow and still turn people away.  I do not plan to increase my work load.  And to teach do not shoot at orange is quite frankly ridiculous. Red green and blue are not deer either.  Humans upright are not a deer.  You can not legislate away stupid actions.  Teach to identify your target and beyond.  This is radical as a kid shoots up a school and we lose our rights.  

• Like 2

Very sad...I went to Darien state park 15 years ago and hunted. The 1st time ever in there I walked across field and heard three shots and felt things whizz be my face. I have never been out on public land since that day !!! People are trigger happy.

I hear it everyday so far of this southern zone deer season...pow pow pow pow pow pow ... yikes

That's irregardless really. The fact is if people identified their targets before shooting this would never happen.

You can say that all you want, but we all know that there are people out there that don't. So it won't do victims much good to know that the guy that blew off their face didn't make sure of his target will it? My wearing blaze orange is not for the benefit of those that follow the rules. It is an act of self-preservation from those that don't. I don't care who's right or who's wrong. I just want to try to come out of the woods with no extra holes.

• Like 2

Very sad...I went to Darien state park 15 years ago and hunted. The 1st time ever in there I walked across field and heard three shots and felt things whizz be my face. I have never been out on public land since that day !!! People are trigger happy.

I hear it everyday so far of this southern zone deer season...pow pow pow pow pow pow ... yikes

It would be interesting to see the percentages of these incidents that happen on public land vs. private land. We might be surprised that public land is not as unsafe as some of the private parcels.

I believe that to be true.  People tend to think they can get away with more on private land and take more chances and bend more laws which leads to more incidents.  Just my opinion after hunting both.

That's for sure.

I would not be surprised to eventually find out this was not an accident. Most people are intentionally murdered by people they know.

Possible.  If that's the case he will be caught.  Does not sound like it but who knows...  Time will tell. 

Identify your target and place your shot! 

The course should be mandated every 3 years, with a test.  DO NOT SHOOT AT ORANGE.  Orange is not a deer.      I took my 1st course 35 years ago.  Then I recently sat through a course with my son, and I'm glad I did.

I would sign a petition for NYS DEC to mandate the course every 3-5 years regardless of experience.

In fact, I got my license 35 years ago, then didn't hunt for 20 years.  Then I walked into dicks, and got my license renewed 20 years later.  No course needed.   How stupid is NYS DEC !!!!

lmao. You know many states don't even require an initial course?

yeah lets add more rules and regs to NYS. We don't have enough. People aren't leaving the state, hunter numbers aren't declining.

Edited by Belo

lmao. You know many states don't even require an initial course?

yeah lets add more rules and regs to NYS. We don't have enough. People aren't leaving the state, hunter numbers aren't declining.

In your world, you'll continue to have more dead people in the woods.   Due to morons who shoot at anything moving.