Hunting in AR zones

the blur

If you're concerned more about meeting the objective of the restriction ( yearling buck protection) selecting a buck to take isn't a problem at all even without bino's...if you're just trying to kill any buck that has 3 on a side (like a yearling 6 point), YES, you will probably have to wait until you can get a better look at the rack, hopefully by then that yearling 6-point will have found safety somewhere out of the line of fire :)

• Like 1

Nikon monarch 10X40mm binos and Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40mm are what I use.  you just have to check the buck out with decent glass.  like what was said make no assumptions and if you've got any doubts then pass.  it wouldn't be the end of the world if you passed a barely legal deer because others will be put in the same situation with that buck.

I passed on a big buck this morning.  Broad shoulders, but his head was in the laurel, 10 yards away.  I saw horns, but he would not pick up his head.   He had a rack that curved forward.  Perfect broadside shot.    I looked at him for 4 minutes, he knew I was there, and he thought he was under cover of the laurel.

If he only lifted his head, and showed me 3 points, I'd be at the butcher now.   Then I heard shots close by an hour later, so somebody got him.

I'm thinking that even the truly die-hard "trophy hunters" are concerned with the actual quality of the rack such that they too will find optics useful.

I use them for viewing smaller bucks at a distance.. although I may not want to kill them.. I love watching them 

For anyone not using bino's, give it a try and you will enjoy it so much. Wether it's a doe or buck I always have a small pair of bino's on my neck and the first thing I do is determine the quality of the deer. It also helps a great deal in that rather than just seeing an unknown deers body from 100 to 200 yards away in the brush, you can actually see what the deer is and more importantly how it's behaving (is it alert to you, is it making a scrape, is it about to bed?, etc). 

One of the main side perks of something like AR is that it should force guys to know what they are shooting at and that eliminates a lot of running (bad) shots that just end up wounding deer so many times. 

For anyone not using bino's, give it a try and you will enjoy it so much. Wether it's a doe or buck I always have a small pair of bino's on my neck and the first thing I do is determine the quality of the deer. It also helps a great deal in that rather than just seeing an unknown deers body from 100 to 200 yards away in the brush, you can actually see what the deer is and more importantly how it's behaving (is it alert to you, is it making a scrape, is it about to bed?, etc). 

One of the main side perks of something like AR is that it should force guys to know what they are shooting at and that eliminates a lot of running (bad) shots that just end up wounding deer so many times. 

Well, if for no other reason, I use binoculars to slow down my still-hunting pace. Few slow steps - glass the whole area, a few more steps - glass the whole area.