Pickled egg recipes?

TeeBugg

I usually start off with the eggs in a 1/2gallon canning jar. I mix in a jar of Hot Mix that I buy at the store. This is the pickled hot mix that has things like cauliflower, pickles and carrots in it. I put this in fluid and all. I add about a table spoon of ground black pepper. couple bay leaves and fill the remainder of the space up with straight white distilled vinegar. I like things with a strong vinegar taste. if you don't the jar can be filled with a 50/50 of vinegar and water. I have also varied it and used a cup of tarragon vinegar or Balsamic vinegar. (the balsamic with give things a brown tint but it tastes great.

I have a Foodsaver that has the vacuum port for attachments and marinating. I have the lid that vacuum seals the canning jars. using this tends to speed up how quickly the brine penetrates the food. The toughest part is actually waiting until they are really ready before you eat them...lol

On occasion I also do a 50/50 mix of eggs and deer/calves heart in the jar and follow the same process. I love pickled heart. Those are cleaned and trimmed of all fat. then cut like a pepper in about 1/4" strips. (like you would see on a vegetable dip platter) . boil them in water for about 5 minutes of until the pink is gone in the center. then add to the jar.

PS. I never use beet juice or beets. They make me wanna yak!!! :bad:

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have never thought about usnig a spicey mixture to make pickled eggs out of. Pickled eggs are one of my favorite things to make and eat, and I also love hot stuff, so I don't know why it didn't click to try something like this. I don't know of any recipes that are different or really out there. I find that a simple mixture of beats and vinegar is sufficient to make some amazing eggs. i do prefer to add a nice degree of salt to the mix. I also find that placing the eggs in the mix while hot makes a huge difference also. It seems to suck more of the juice of for some reason.

I like to kick it up a notch. I use apple cider vinegar, yellow curry powder, mustard seed, cardamom pods, and sugar. Instead of the beet juice, put a little red food coloring for color.

One other thing, find the freshest eggs you can find, makes all the difference in the yoke taste.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget that you have to store them behind the bar at some old,out of the way, gin mill for 50 years... I always remember from my drinking days that big jar of pickled eggs on the dusty shelf next to the pickled pigs feet at any 100 year old redneck bar I frequented...  usually had to dare someone to try one..lol

• Like 3

Is there a local bar that you patronize ?

If they have a gallon jar of kielbasa or bar sausage, ask the bartender to save it for you when it's empty and then just boil up some cackleberries and put them in the brine.

An old friend of mine used to call them Rooster Bullets....<<grin>>...

All that aside, I have done them before in a plain brine of 50/50 water and vinegar and mix in some hot pepper flakes for seasoning.