Urban legend deer situation. What would you do?

Al Bundy

I really am trying to see the difference and not having a lot of luck. Both situations present a conscious decision to leave a mortally wounded animal to die of its wounds with exactly the same results.

One decision is made to make the recovery of the animal more likely. The option of quickly ending their suffering is not there.

• Like 1

Well face it.2 Or less game wardens in the county.chance of you getting ticket for anything 1-1000 Thats why tresspassing/baiting,poaching, illegal harvest happens all the time... your chance of getting caught slim to none... i think everyone on this forum knows of or has seen game laws violated.... not enough enforcement. Thats why its sad when a hunter stops a checkpoint and get a ticket for improperly tagging/filling out tag. He didnt know he did anything different than anyone else but basically turned himself in...most violators seem to be the unwhittingly turned yourself in if you read the cuff n collars section of outdoor news.

• Like 1

but yet, guys have no problem shooting a deer just before sundown, and after they realize it was a bad hit, leave it over night to succumb to it's wound, I'm sure there is quite a bit of suffering when you die from a gut shot..............

The question was if you can see the deer and actually take a shot. If you try it with a gut shot deer youll keep bumping it and be walking around the woods all night

And everyday you read about adult men molesting innocent children... Bad stuff happens and it doesn't make it ok. What's your point?

We all have different ideas on what we think we would do in a given situation. Some say they would run into a burning building to save someone and in reality they never would. You really never know what you might do until you're presented with the choice. Every situation is different.

And everyday you read about adult men molesting innocent children... Bad stuff happens and it doesn't make it ok. What's your point?

We all have different ideas on what we think we would do in a given situation. Some say they would run into a burning building to save someone and in reality they never would. You really never know what you might do until you're presented with the choice. Every situation is different.

my point is, that unless I'm the one responsible for causing an animal to suffer, I'm not going to engage in illegal activity to make it right..............no way I'm going to shoot a deer in the middle of the road at night if it's been hit by a car and risk getting the wrong Officer show up and hand me a fist full of tickets, I've encountered deer and dogs that had been hit by cars, I make the phone call and wait for the proper authorities to show up and take care of it............if someone else feels the need to take care of it, thats ok with me too. If I'm 1/2 a mile back in the woods and a deer crawls past me with its back legs blown off, different story.

Edited by jjb4900

What if you're walking your dog with your 6 year old daughter. You come across a wounded, vocal and dying fawn in a ditch. You have your CC with you and you're in the country. Not many houses and a 5-10 min police response time. Your daughter is balling her eyes out.

5-10 minute response time is pretty good....and I can't imagine me killing it in front of her would make it any less traumatic, probably even more so.