Urban legend deer situation. What would you do?

Al Bundy

ok, now throw this into the equation, that same deer stumbled 50 yards onto heavily posted property that you know you will never get permission to enter............now what? 

Most likely I knew the situation before the shot - therefore I gambled on the result and lost.

Private property rights never trump my hunting privileges.

Deer stays to return to nature and feed other critters.

Nothing goes to waste.

One time all I had was a wooden hockey stick, I was not waiting hours for police while that deer suffered, one hit to the back on the neck by head and se was done.

who carries a hockey stick while hunting? I thought this thread was about finishing off deer in a hunting situation................

but yet, guys have no problem shooting a deer just before sundown, and after they realize it was a bad hit, leave it over night to succumb to it's wound, I'm sure there is quite a bit of suffering when you die from a gut shot..............

But that's not the same scenario. In the cases you are talking about the shooter has no clue where the deer is and in the scenarios being put forth in this thread, they can see the wounded animal. Totally different hypotheticals.

It's probably written up as illegal manner of taking big game. Throw a flashlight in there and you're now a poacher. I guess it's how the ECO views it. If they take it negatively you better not be toting your most prized gun or you'll lose it and if it's your only AR then you'll never own one again in NYS

It's a pretty common practice with gut-shot deer during bow season to simply wait 8 hours or even overnight for the critter to seize up and die. We don't seem to get too bothered by that situation. If it is in as bad a shape as described, it likely won't be living too much longer anyway. I wouldn't criticize anyone regardless of which solution they chose. But then I am not the CO that comes along after hearing the after-hours shot and sees the flashlight bobbing around the edge of the cornfield .... lol.

That's why cell phones are a nice piece of hunting equipment. Call the authorities and get advice from them. Apparently the deer isn't going anywhere. And be sure to get the name and rank of the official that you are talking to in case there are any repercussions afterward.

I try to follow the game laws to the letter.

In this situation I would take the shot. Take the shot and the ticket, if that's how it would go...

it may not always be just getting a ticket........you always run the risk of losing hunting privileges when convicted of an ECL violation.......and with the new Safe Act, if someone is a pistol license holder, and for whatever reason they get their license revoked because of the violation, they're now required to turn in ALL of their guns.

yup gotcha for sure.  I could see hunting after hours taking game with the use of an artificial light if the corn field was not where you could hunt trespassing. If the deer is too close to the road, shooting from a maintained portion of the highway.  Then fines loss of gun possibly the vehicle hunting privileges the deer  and even without a pistol license gun confiscation.  That being said in this case I would do what I needed to do to make sure the deer did not suffer.  But in my area, I would call first and talk to a dec officer and explain the situation and get permission to do so.  

Edited by bubba

Not such a strange scenario.  My doe from last weekend was shot while I was leaving my stand slightly early on sat.  We ended up tracking her and catching up with her on Sat. at 6pm.  She sat there at 10yds while we discussed what to do staring at us the whole time.  She was shot through the chest and blew out right shoulder and she was hurting, but I didn't want to shoot after dark, especially being close to a park.  While I wasn't thrilled about it, I decided to try to slit its throat and as I walked up to her, she got up on 3 legs and ran another 50yds downhill. 

We let her wait to morning, came back to track her all over again and finally finish her off (after my nice scope bite incident).  Would have been a heck of a lot easier on all of us, including the doe, if I had just finished her that night.  Still not sure what I would do if in the same situation again, but leaning towards finishing her off if it were to happen again.

Not such a strange scenario.  My doe from last weekend was shot while I was leaving my stand slightly early on sat.  We ended up tracking her and catching up with her on Sat. at 6pm.  She sat there at 10yds while we discussed what to do staring at us the whole time.  She was shot through the chest and blew out right shoulder and she was hurting, but I didn't want to shoot after dark, especially being close to a park.  While I wasn't thrilled about it, I decided to try to slit its throat and as I walked up to her, she got up on 3 legs and ran another 50yds downhill. 

We let her wait to morning, came back to track her all over again and finally finish her off (after my nice scope bite incident).  Would have been a heck of a lot easier on all of us, including the doe, if I had just finished her that night.  Still not sure what I would do if in the same situation again, but leaning towards finishing her off if it were to happen again.

I think the park was the biggest factor. If it were anywhere else, do it.

finishing off a deer that you personally shot at a time reasonably close to shooting hours, although still illegal, is much different than deciding to go out in the middle of the night with the intention of doing the same...........as far as feeling morally obligated to shoot a deer on the side of the road that was hit by a car, I do not...........much like I do not feel obligated to do the same to someone's dog, a farm animal, or even a Bald Eagle........how many of you who feel the need to kill a crippled deer on the side of the road to end its suffering would do the same to the other animals I mentioned? I mean after all, an animal in pain is an animal in pain.

It's probably written up as illegal manner of taking big game. Throw a flashlight in there and you're now a poacher. I guess it's how the ECO views it. If they take it negatively you better not be toting your most prized gun or you'll lose it and if it's your only AR then you'll never own one again in NYS

I imagine, just like a traffic ticket, your presentation of the facts and how you're conducting yourself and your attitude go a long way with the ECO's decision.

It's a pretty common practice with gut-shot deer during bow season to simply wait 8 hours or even overnight for the critter to seize up and die. We don't seem to get too bothered by that situation. If it is in as bad a shape as described, it likely won't be living too much longer anyway. I wouldn't criticize anyone regardless of which solution they chose. But then I am not the CO that comes along after hearing the after-hours shot and sees the flashlight bobbing around the edge of the cornfield .... lol.

That's why cell phones are a nice piece of hunting equipment. Call the authorities and get advice from them. Apparently the deer isn't going anywhere. And be sure to get the name and rank of the official that you are talking to in case there are any repercussions afterward.

So to clarify, if a deer is gut shot, I would advise backing out like you said. But IF you do come to the suffering deer, than that's what I think we're talking about.

So to clarify, if a deer is gut shot, I would advise backing out like you said. But IF you do come to the suffering deer, than that's what I think we're talking about.

I really am trying to see the difference and not having a lot of luck. Both situations present a conscious decision to leave a mortally wounded animal to die of its wounds with exactly the same results.