youth gun

Fletch

My 20 doesn't kick nearly as hard as my .30-06. Which is why I use the 20 as my primary even though I'm in a rifle county

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Nice.  Been thinking about getting a 20 gauge barrel for my H&R.  Been shooting the 12 gauge out of my Mossberg 500 home defense barrel and I'm surprised I don't end up with a concussion each time. Plus the accuracy on it stinks.  I can handle a 30-06 just fine.

My ruger 10/22 was my first gun. Still have it and love it. Great gun to learn on. I think a solid 20 should be ok for most kids. Maybe see if you can borrow one from a friend and see what your kid thinks.

MossberG 500 12's kick pretty bad and I bought an 835 and put a recoil pad on it. Not sure about 20's. I bought into the 3.5" shot for turkey ...

Also you can get good 2 barrel packaged that come with bird, turkey and even rifled slug.

Edited by Belo

What's the felt recoil of a 20 gauge?  Does it compare to that of a 308 or 30-06?

I haven't shot a 308 but my 20ga 870 kicks less than a 30-06 for sure, with field loads/upland game loads. There's a bit more thump with a 3" magnum for spring turkey, though honestly I don't feel it at all when I'm actually hunting. When I was a kid, shooting a slug out of it at a target range scared me a bit the first time... (you notice it!) but again, when I'm actually hunting, I barely notice the gun go off.

I can tell you, for whatever reason, my 20ga will shoot a a cheap slugger with more accuracy than any of the 12ga. 870s we have sighted in using better rounds (used to be shotgun only here for many years). We were a bit surprised by just how sharp and dead on that little 20 is. For close range, it's a fine slug gun. My dad actually prefers to carry it over his 12ga. when we are hunting shotgun only areas.

I haven't shot a 308 but my 20ga 870 kicks less than a 30-06 for sure, with field loads/upland game loads. There's a bit more thump with a 3" magnum for spring turkey, though honestly I don't feel it at all when I'm actually hunting. When I was a kid, shooting a slug out of it at a target range scared me a bit the first time... (you notice it!) but again, when I'm actually hunting, I barely notice the gun go off.

I can tell you, for whatever reason, my 20ga will shoot a a cheap slugger with more accuracy than any of the 12ga. 870s we have sighted in using better rounds (used to be shotgun only here for many years). We were a bit surprised by just how sharp and dead on that little 20 is. For close range, it's a fine slug gun. My dad actually prefers to carry it over his 12ga. when we are hunting shotgun only areas.

a 20 ga has much better ballistics then a 12 ga

Started my kids with chipmunk 22 and then progressed to full size 22 and 17. To get them ready for PA youth deer season - they both had to shoot 1100 20 ga to prepare for the 243 recoil. Both children @ 9 shot the 20 ga and 243. Proud to say my son, now 11, just harvested his second deer today in PA with 270 (reduce recoil 115 grain ammo). good stuff!!

• 2 weeks later...

I started with a Winchester model 64 30-30 for deer and 20ga shotgun for everything else.  a good recoil pad on the end of the butt stock makes a big difference.  as does the overall design.  I've got a Benelli 12ga that with target loads recoils even less than my 20ga with general purpose high-velocity shotshells.

To the OP..

Don't handicap the kid with a .410...Taking game such as turkeys and pheasants with a .410 is possible at very close range by someone who is an experienced and steady shot, but it's more of a STUNT than anything else.

A 20 gauge gun is a fine starter...Light field loads are effective on small game at reasonable ranges.

They don't kick excessively, even in a light fixed breech gun..

Heavier loads are effective on game as big as pheasants and turkeys at reasonable ranges.. I have patterned several 20 gauge guns that shot good, sure kill patterns for turkeys at ranges from 35 to 40 yards.

If I were buying a first gun for a youngster, it would be a 20 gauge gas operated auto. Recoil is mild, even with slugs, which can be BRUTAL in a light fixed breech 20 gauge such as a single barrel or an Ithaca M37...