Black powder

Paula

I always assumed you had to buy a muzzleloader privilege to hunt with one at all.  I think cdmckane could very well be right.  you can hunt with a bow during the regular season without buying the bow privilege.  you just need proof of your bowhunter certificate.  muzzleloader ceritification is lumped in with your regular hunter safety.  so it makes sense you would only need to buy a big game license to hunt with one only during regular season.

I always assumed you had to buy a muzzleloader privilege to hunt with one at all. 

So was i, glad i didn't bet money.

ok and the doe tag from reg season can be used during muzzle load? and a doe tag can only be used on a buck if it is under 3 inch?

Edited by Paula

I tell my customers to always go by the NY syllabus. When you purchase your license grab a copy or two and keep it in your pack while hunting and keep a copy in your truck.Never a good idea to ask for these type questions on the internet even though alot of great advice is given here there can always be a mistake.All the stamps are explained in the book and could help clear up lots of confusion the night before or morning you plan to hunt.I cant tell you how many times I've heard "I thought that was legal" or "My buddy said..."

If you have the book you cant make a potentilly bad mistake

You can also download the info from the DEC website and keep it on you if you have access to the internet

Hope this was helpful

I tell my customers to always go by the NY syllabus. When you purchase your license grab a copy or two and keep it in your pack while hunting and keep a copy in your truck.Never a good idea to ask for these type questions on the internet even though alot of great advice is given here there can always be a mistake.All the stamps are explained in the book and could help clear up lots of confusion the night before or morning you plan to hunt.I cant tell you how many times I've heard "I thought that was legal" or "My buddy said..."

If you have the book you cant make a potentilly bad mistake

You can also download the info from the DEC website and keep it on you if you have access to the internet

Hope this was helpful

I know about book and I love mine! I know about the DEC site also, so much easier to ask for help here than trying to find something on that site. This information was not for me, was for someone at work where my book was not. Yes they helped me thanks

I am now able to look at my book. On page 28 it say with muzzleloading (privilege required)

Says the same for bow. I take that as you need tags for both

Paula, I didn't look at that page, but I'm pretty confident that you do NOT need to purchase a separate ML privilege to use one in REGULAR season. During REGULAR season, one can use any legal hunting implement to harvest a big game animal, ML included. The only exception is local ordinance, such as no rifles in certain counties and such. As far as I know, anywhere that allows shotguns for deer harvest will allow ML as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk