Gun safes

Joe Red

What do you guys use to keep moisture out so your safes. We have a Remington that you plug into an outlet to recharge but I can see the moisture in the little window when it's been plugged in for a few hours, and it gets really hot to the touch. We also have a bag one that you recharge in the oven but that doesn't tell you if it's all dried out. Any other things you guys can recommend? And we have never had any problems with rust on anything so it's more of a piece of mind thing and a just in case thing. Thanks

What do you guys use to keep moisture out so your safes. We have a Remington that you plug into an outlet to recharge but I can see the moisture in the little window when it's been plugged in for a few hours, and it gets really hot to the touch. We also have a bag one that you recharge in the oven but that doesn't tell you if it's all dried out. Any other things you guys can recommend? And we have never had any problems with rust on anything so it's more of a piece of mind thing and a just in case thing. Thanks

Where (what room) do you keep your safe?  Do you have a/c?

Open the door once a week or so for an hour or two.

If it's fire resistant then it's designed to hold moisture in suspension ,that is released in high heat conditions ie a fire. These often will release moisture quite a bit when new.

I've owned floor safe, wall safes, fire resistant files, safes, gun safes for 30 years. I worked making them for ten.

My fire gun safe and 2 drawer file are I my basement, I run a dehumidifier year round down there , and have a large can off desiccant in mine.

Keep,guns lightly oiled ,and anything like watches I keep in airtight containers just in case, but never had an issue.

It's in a dry basement with no a/c never had moisture problems. That golden rod do you have to plug into an outlet and keep it plugged in while in the safe? If so there is no hole in the safe to run the cord out to an outlet. I will also check out the the damprid and the silica containers.

If you use a dehumidifier religiously in your basement you should not need anything else.  If you do not have a good dehumidifier, you sure as hell better use one of those Golden Rod deals.  Drill the appropriate hole in the safe if you have to..............

Good luck!

I have a dry unfinished basement, that's where my safe is kept.  the safe is cardboard that's on wood boards up off the concrete floor.  I use a dehumidifier during the spring and summer months down in the basement.  I've got a Field & Stream 24 gun safe.  I keep the Remington dehumidifier, that plugs in to be recharged.  I also have in the safe a metal screened canister with desiccant gel beads, that's recharged by putting it in the oven.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/cannon-safe-inc-silica-gel-dehumidifier-102042299--1

I guess mine is silica it's blue then turns to pink as it absorbs moisture.

http://www.tractorsupply.com//ProductDisplay?errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&catalogId=10051&storeId=10151&urlLangId=&parent_category_rn=&langId=-1&categoryId=25&urlRequestType=Base&top_category=&productId=242003

Then this is basically the same as the other I have in there.

my gun is a 24 gun safe and it works well have both in there.  I probably plug in the one to recharge it maybe once a week.  after close to a year the canister is finally needing to be recharged.