NY "Second Gun Season"

JFB

Rather than one long and continuous deer season, in my opinion it would be cool to give the deer a break much like Illinois does with their second season.

Is there a down side to stoping hunting for a week or two and then starting up again? Might be something the majority of hunters could agree on? Just curious because something we never hear about in NY. 

• Like 2

Then you run into problems with snowmobile season .

I don't ride although would like to own one someday. I do know plenty that do ride, but don't hunt and wait till the seasons over to run the trails. I always appreciated that.

End of the day? There's plenty if time to kill deer in NY. We already have one of the longest seasons. But one thing is sure, you'll never please everyone.

• Like 1

I think it's a good idea but maybe the reason it's not in NY has to do with majority of the hunters being weekends warriors...I just feel there are more everyday of the season hunters in other states than here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to agree with that. I have nothing to support that type of theory but for whatever reason other states seem to successfully tolerate shorter seasons and other things that nurture the deer resource. In NY, we seem to focus on limiting the resource.  

Then you run into problems with snowmobile season .

True never thought about that, i wonder how other states do it than. I mean honestly this looks like the best year in the last couple for snowmobiling here in WNY we haven't had snowfall like this in many years this early especially during the deer season.

I don't ride although would like to own one someday. I do know plenty that do ride, but don't hunt and wait till the seasons over to run the trails. I always appreciated that. End of the day? There's plenty if time to kill deer in NY. We already have one of the longest seasons. But one thing is sure, you'll never please everyone.

Legally you can't ride the trails until deer season closes because the trails don't "open" until the day after.

• Like 1

Legally you can't ride the trails until deer season closes because the trails don't "open" until the day after.

Someone should tell that to the guys around here. They were riding right to Stewart's last night, going around the "trail closed" sign. That may PO some landowners that hunt and permit the trail to go through their property. I love to ride but not during hunting season.

interesting i didn't know that. Assuming this only applies to state land? We have mostly private around me.

It does not apply to private lands. only trails that are managed and groomed by a club and such.

I think the later in the season you would see to many bucks that have shed their racks taken. Shorten the gun season in the north by skipping a week every other week out of the what..6,8 weeks its open now.

interesting i didn't know that. Assuming this only applies to state land? We have mostly private around me.

It does not apply to private lands. only trails that are managed and groomed by a club and such.

I think the later in the season you would see to many bucks that have shed their racks taken. Shorten the gun season in the north by skipping a week every other week out of the what..6,8 weeks its open now.

Four Seasons, Can you clarify what you mean by skipping a week every other  week? I am just a bit confused sorry 

Four Seasons, Can you clarify what you mean by skipping a week every other  week? I am just a bit confused sorry 

Well really not sure. We are open way to long in gun season..IMO Of course.. We open say Oct 15th till the 25th, Off 10 days, Then back on 10 days so we end up with a season like the..Tier...!  3 or 4 week season= More and bigger deer in the woods in the North! 

Now throw in a 1 buck rule and things may change a bit in the North. I know i have heard many,many complaints about the lack of deer around my neck of the woods and i have to say my 700 acres of hunting land was pi$$ poor this year as a whole!

Didn't they just have some posts on here where the buck were dropping racks during the gun season...split the season up leaving a rest period ...draws you even further into holiday times...(wives..kids) and increases rack drops that would increase chances of bucks shot mistaken for doe...not a lot of weekend warriors as they are called..... can judge a deer by it's body size...and rear end sightings.... as it were...... don't always present them selfs...

I hear you completely, I always like to know what someone actually means even if I don't agree with them, it is nice to hear the other side. I prefer to hunt Northern zone without a doubt so cutting the time I could hunt up there would hurt my feelings more than making Southern zone shorter. I completely agree that the state should go down to 1 buck a year per hunter, I feel that way people will think twice about a younger deer ect.

I have always had a crazy idea that I would love to see happen, but people would think I am nuts ha