The Dog companions....

growalot

Jeremy K... That's a good looking hound...Nice colors(my favorite).. How's it's voice ?? I miss hearing the singing of my  dogs..I think most times I hunted coons just to hear the music, especially when mixed with other hunter's dogs.

There is nothing in hunting like hearing a hound with a strong voice on a track. I gre up doing it, my first hunting experiences and I really miss that.

Weimaraners. We are enjoying our third now.  They have been big babies in the house, can be decent hunters, have amazing personalities and all have been fiercely protective. Right now our two-year old Blue Weim is turning out to be a pretty good bird dog with zero field training. When i was younger I spent countless hours working with our dogs with limited success, due mostly to my lack training ability.  This time I decided I just wasn't putting in the time and would focus on training him for the home as a companion and pet.   Well go figure, he's a natural on birds... I can't explain it, but I'll take it!    We're hoping some of this snow melts down this weekend so we can run him on some pheasants next week.

My very first dog was a mutt but we moved and couldn't take it with us, so we left it with family friends.  Later on, my dad then got me a German Shepherd/Alaskan Mamalute mix but my parents were working all the time at that time and I was too young and irresponsible to take care of it so we eventually gave it to another family friend and we went without a dog entirely.  After so many years without a dog, my parents got so accustomed that they didn't want another dog in the house so I said once I got my own place, I was going to get a Rhodesian Ridgeback.  Unfortunately, I stumble on to a place that I thought at the time was such a great deal I had to jump on it even though their policy was no dogs over 20 lbs allowed.  I still wanted to a dog so I began exploring small dog options.  I met up with a breeder once and while all the other puppies were running around playing, my dog came up straight up to me, snuggled up on my foot, and went right to sleep.  I came home with me right then and there.  I never picked my dog, she picked me.  She's a Maltese.

I have had Labs for the past 18 years. I think they are an awesome breed, but I love all dogs. It's  they're loyalty and protective nature that gets me. My current Lab (Reggie) is a big baby but he will put on the biggest tough guy act you have ever seen, if he senses a threat to me,my wife or especially one of the kids.

Edited by ants