change in attitude over the years

greybeard

bluecoupe...I had a laugh  after reading your post.. My parents said the same thing about having nothing to do.. The EXACT words !! nice memory..

On Sundays we stayed dressed in ties when we had afternoon family dinner.

My father worked shift work, but we mostly ate at the same time every night too, and had to "clean your plate". no wasting food, people were starving !!  We refer to those ways in my house as "The Father Knows Best " world.

• Like 1

greybeard,  it got to the point where my Mother didn't even have to say the words, I knew the look. ;)

We had the "clean your plate" rule too.  I absolutely HATED mushrooms as a kid. We didn't have a lot of money and one night dinner was hamburger in cream of mushroom soup over toast.  I decided I could outlast 'em if I sat there long enough.  Finally at about 10:30 that night I decided I had to eat the crud. Lemme tell you, cold chit on a shingle isn't very yummy. <shudder>

Boy these posts sure bring back a lot of memories. "The look" LOL - you knew when you were going to "get it". Not leaving the table until your plate was cleaned and watching your brother have to go to the bathroom with a chipmunk cheek full of peas and not smart enough to spit them in the toilet and flush, but instead spit them in the waste basket - boy did he "get it". It wasnt all pro-hunting, guns, and outdoors back then though. Growing up in a suburb outside of Rochester, I remeber back in the early 70's when my dad and his buddies shot 3 bears in the Adirondacks and hung them in a tree in our front yard when they returned. People would stop and admire them. However, one of my teachers at school hated hunting and had an "attitude" towards me and my brothers and sister because my father hunted. She used to make remarks about it in front of the class to try and embarass us. I certainly didn't care too much for her and most of my friend's fathers hunted, so it didn't matter to me what she thought.

Here's something I found to put some things in perspective:

SCHOOL 1957 VS 2013

These would be funny if they weren’t so true!!!!!!

You should know that by today's standards none of us was supposed to ever make it.

HIGH SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2013

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his

shotgun in his truck's gun rack..

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2013 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2013 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal.

He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2013 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD.

The family gets extra money (SSI) from the government because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman..

2013 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse, Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with a friend who also has a headache.

2013 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

2013 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum.

Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model

airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1957 - Ants die.

2013 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism.

The FBI investigates his parents - and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his

teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 -In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2013 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

Merry Christmas everyone! Share some "back then" stories with you kids this Christmas.

• Like 4

bluecoupe.. I sure knew that look !!!

I hated green beans, but as a teenager I had a beagle that would eat anything and she'd sit under the table near me, when we ate, I'd sneak them to her when no one was looking at me. She ate liver too....I loved that little hound !

That's a good story about the mushroom soup..You held out longer then I would have.

I was born in 65. I remember many of the same sayings and situations you guys are talking about. I had very little issue with the "clean your plate" rule until it came to beets and broccoli. I can remember gagging to get it down so I didn't have to sit until it was gone.

Like Greybreard said we have had many many advances and I too take advantage of soooo many of them. They have made our lives "better" What they have done though is remove the newer generations from what used to be or even what it actually takes to do things like produce a product. A steak is something on a foam tray. How many could plant a garden.

Besides my Father and Uncles Boy Scouts was a huge contributor to a lot of kids back then. I lived in a small town and the Troop I was in was very very active. We camped at least once every other month all year long. rain, snow or shine.

Fire making, survival, use of firearms and shooting, archery, shelter building, fire starting, primitive trap building. Cooking, How to purify or sanitize water. It wasn't in a Prepper type of mentality but it was skills that used to be needed and were being passed down even though it probably wouldn't be needed. It taught independence as well as working in a group. Probably the biggest skill I still use all the time today is actual knot tying. amazing sometimes just watching someone at Lowes trying to put something on the top of their car. Good thing they invented ratchet  straps...lol.

One of the first things I did when I ran home from school was to grab the shotgun and hit the back woods for grouse squirrel and rabbit. Everyone knew each other around you and you could go anywhere. Everything seemed more connected back then.

• Like 1

bluecoupe.. I sure knew that look !!!

I hated green beans, but as a teenager I had a beagle that would eat anything and she'd sit under the table near me, when we ate, I'd sneak them to her when no one was looking at me. She ate liver too....I loved that little hound !

That's a good story about the mushroom soup..You held out longer then I would have.

Still had to eat the crud. :(    And our dogs weren't allowed in the kitchen when we were eating.

FX62.. That was great, I have to figure how to save your  post and show people

Merry Christmas to you too. I always loved the old stories. My wife's grandfather was a jockey and had some cool stories Her great grandfather is in the Jockey Hall of Fame, in Saratoga but I never knew him. I would have liked to hear his stories..

Her grandfather used to talk about the Long Island Plains, imagine LI plains..

I do think sometimes when I tell the stories some people would like to tell me to shut up and go sit in my rocker. We, the older crowd, get into  the old stories sometimes and some of the young ones kinda leave, but some do like them.

even though we had  nasty storm which is over now, I am glad I live in the part of the state where that attitude is still somewhat alive.  It is slowly slipping away and we are doing all we can to fight the and no offense "city attitude".  A simpler more casual life style has a lot to be said for it.  I clean my muzzleloaders in my front yard and no neighbors complain.  I leave my hous unlocked as well as my vehicles.  My camp door is never locked.  Yeah call me a hick, but this hick really enjoys not having to deal with the anti crap a lot of you do.

Greybeard, I can foward you the email if you'd like.

One of the important things I remember is "respect your elders". I've learned a tremendous amount of info over the years by listening to my elders whether it be stories or advice. This post has inspired me to start a family tradition this year with each family member telling a childhood story. It will be fun (hopefully) to hear what the kids come up with.

• Like 1

I do think sometimes when I tell the stories some people would like to tell me to shut up and go sit in my rocker. We, the older crowd, get into  the old stories sometimes and some of the young ones kinda leave, but some do like them.

The problem a lot of times is that by the time you realize that you want to hear them, the people who can relate them are gone.

• Like 2

I raise my kids the same way I was raised, I still go bridge jumping with my son lol. We are going squirrel hunting in the morning. Its really up to us to teach them about how they should be and what's expected of them in todays crazy rules and regulations world.

when the people fear the government there is tyranny. when the government fears the people there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson

Greybeard, I can foward you the email if you'd like.

One of the important things I remember is "respect your elders". I've learned a tremendous amount of info over the years by listening to my elders whether it be stories or advice. This post has inspired me to start a family tradition this year with each family member telling a childhood story. It will be fun (hopefully) to hear what the kids come up with.

I never did but I knew if I lipped off to an elder (other than my parents) and they took action like a slap, a spank or a soap in the mouth action My parents would take action. Not today's action of calling the cops but calling the one I mouthed off too and apologizing and then the real punishment would  start for me.

I once was just with two guys that egged the house of the neighborhood grumpy old man. You know the kind that thought he owned the street in front of his house. Come out yelling anytime kids stopped in front of his house type.. I never threw an egg. I was there. I was in 3rd grade. the other to kids' parents did nothing to them when we were caught. My parents made me clean the house and mow the guys lawn for the entire season once a week. Taught me a good lesson in how being associated with the wrong people can effect you.

• Like 2

I am much younger than many of you guys, but I love hearing these stories. It sounds like was raised very similar to you guys though. No backtalk, finish your plate (even if it meant sleeping at the table), no TV, fear of mom's wooden spoon collection, etc... In 8th grade I gave my parents the money I EARNED (imagine that!) to get cable so I could keep up with the kids at school.

I was born in Schenectady and my father wanted us kids to have a country up bringing like he did, so he moved us to Cambridge (Washington county). This was the best thing he ever could have done for us children. I grew up in an old farmhouse that needed a ton of work. I had a large pond (almost lake) that I fished every single day. My brother (5 years older) got into trapping at a young age and I would often assist him. HE bought me my first high powered rifle for Christmas, and I took off the first day of hunting when I was 16. He gave me a crash course on scouting and I shot my first deer, by myself. I do believe opening day was a valid excuse to miss school. In fact I wrote a short story on the experience for my English class that was supposed to get published in the tri-county literary achievement magazine, but didn't probably due to the fact that taking a deer might offend some people. I remember both science teachers would ask kids how they did on opening day (they are now long since retired unfortunately). After school I used to walk about 3/4 of mile up through the fields to go to my friends house to hunt and fish, often hunting my way there with my single shot 12 ga. My bus driver was a butcher and he had butchered a deer that had broken it's knee and rehealed (strange looking knee) and he brought the knee on the bus to show us young hunters!

Thinking about all this stuff shows me how "lucky" I really was. It is sad to see how the freedoms, and responsibilities, I enjoyed not all that long ago are pretty much gone for my kids. I live in town now and maybe my views are distorted because I don't live in sticks (yet!).

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER

After reading some of the great stories here this morning I had to go to a few stores, including BJ's Wholesale. As you can imagine the stores were pretty crowded. I was in such a good mood thinking of your histories and ways of life  that I found myself talking to quite a few people about holidays etc. EVERY person that I spoke to had a great attitude and I had a lot of laughs.. Christmas was in the air...

Thanks for sharing all your stories..It's making my Christmas happier.

• Like 1

political correctness, lawyers, downfall of america for sure, they make new laws every year but do we need them? parents can disapline your own kids, i remember strangers telling us to stop when we were doing things bad, seems like the single parent family started at the same time the rest of the pc took hold.... family values and wait till your father gets home were what ran the world i grew up in.... i feel bad kids cant experiance life riding a bike without a helmet, yes i wiped out and did jumps and so did everyone else i knew, skun knees and road rash were expected. i dont know how or why laws start or actually pass, maybe we just need a whole new government..... one based on common sence...

• Like 2

pawle76..  I was from a bit west of there, I'm sure East Meadow was farms then..

There were quite a few farms even west of East Meadow..Long Island had loads of potato farms , I was told that my old neighborhood was one also.

There are books now reporting the History of many LI towns. A separate book for each town. The books that I read were pretty good. I'd bet that there is one on East Meadow.

The furthest west that I "remember"  was a farm in Elmont, on Hempstead Tpk. not too far from the NYC line.Just East of Belmont Racetrack.

I remember one in West Hempstead,> I used to ride my bike to a creek across the street and catch frogs in a muddy creek there.

I have a friend, who is  a little older than me, who lived in Queens and told me that he hunted ducks where Flushing Airport was..He also said he'd invite people for duck dinner, and that day drive into Western Nassau County and jump ducks and

get his dinner...    Fast Food ???

pawle76..  I was from a bit west of there, I'm sure East Meadow was farms then..

There were quite a few farms even west of East Meadow..Long Island had loads of potato farms , I was told that my old neighborhood was one also.

There are books now reporting the History of many LI towns. A separate book for each town. The books that I read were pretty good. I'd bet that there is one on East Meadow.

The furthest west that I "remember"  was a farm in Elmont, on Hempstead Tpk. not too far from the NYC line.Just East of Belmont Racetrack.

I remember one in West Hempstead,> I used to ride my bike to a creek across the street and catch frogs in a muddy creek there.

I have a friend, who is  a little older than me, who lived in Queens and told me that he hunted ducks where Flushing Airport was..He also said he'd invite people for duck dinner, and that day drive into Western Nassau County and jump ducks and

get his dinner...    Fast Food ???

My uncle talks about his buddy shooting rabbits/ducks at Belmont race track. Maybe before it was completed?

I guess I don't understand all the talk in this thread about hunting, fresh venison etc. I have certainly experienced the change in attitude with guns, but not with hunting. If anything it's gotten better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think it is a difference in perspective based on longevity. Any comparisons I make are based on a time span that will reach 70 years in a few days. As described in a few of the replies here by those of advancing age, things have changed in a huge way regarding hunting. Years ago, there were no real animal rights organizations that anyone knew about. Teachers in school never spent a minute worrying about hunting, let alone waging constant campaigns against the activity. Hunting access was never a concern. Movie actors spent their time acting instead of donating money and time to animal rights campaigns. An awful lot of kids in the rural areas regularly ran trap-lines. Hunting was an undisputed way of life for most of us. Even more than that, it was an honorable pastime that people respected, as opposed to the villainous rep and the dirty looks that the activity now gets from the vast majority that do not participate today.

Fast forward to today. Hunter numbers are on a down-slide. More and more people are fanatic about their vegan lifestyles to the point of becoming militant about it. I keep reading about home owners actively interfering with hunts, to the point where we had to pass a law prohibiting it. Children are being indoctrinated into anti hunting attitudes by schools and even their parents. The animal rights organizations are proliferating, well financed, and actually making some significant gains with legal victories and an eroding of public acceptance of hunting, trapping and fishing.

The problem is that the evolution of anti-hunting cultural changes is happening at a very sneaky slow pace, and it does require a long life span to see the changes. It's a slow culture change. It's kind of like cooking a frog by slowly increasing the heat of the water ... lol. He never knows what is happening until it's too late. When you get the long-term picture, it is obvious that the threat against hunting has made huge advances, and when you really look close enough, it is not slowing, but rather it is accelerating.