NY. SAFE. Act, One Year Later.

An interesting article. Weapon possession  charges are also down this year.

On a side note, remember, any folding  jack-pocket knife that can be flicked open with wrist action  on your possession is defined as a switchblade( illegal) in NYS.., as determined by law enforcement.

NY Safe Act enables NY to better protect NYers, Gov. Cuomo's spokeswoman says _ syracuse.com.htm

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I'd like to see the stats on gun crimes committed this year compared to last year. After all, wasn't that the point...to reduce gun related crimes? None of these published reports include those stats for some reason. Could it be because it didn't reduce gun crimes like it was intended? I know that almost every day you hear about another thug in Syracuse getting shot!

I'd like to see the stats on gun crimes committed this year compared to last year. After all, wasn't that the point...to reduce gun related crimes? None of these published reports include those stats for some reason. Could it be because it didn't reduce gun crimes like it was intended? I know that almost every day you hear about another thug in Syracuse getting shot!

I just did some of my own research on this. Violent crimes have actually been on a downward trend every year since the 90's. The safe act did absolutely nothing to change that trend. Nothing!!!! There was not a dramatic decrease in violent crimes this year, if there was a decrease at all.

Registered firearms will be the first ones confiscated.

The SAFE act also says if they revoke your pistol permit, (and there are many simple ways they can do it without you committing any crime), ALL of your NY State firearms ownership "privileges" are gone! 

A couple of years ago, people also laughed when they were told this would soon be the law.  I don't hear much out of those folks anymore.

• Like 2

A couple of years ago you were saying Obama was going to make changes on the federal level and take away all your guns.  Still hasn't happened.  And I'm still laughing at you for insisting it would.

Unfortunately, because of the tragedy in Connecticut, our state legislature pushed through a terrible piece of legislation just so they could say, "Look at us, we are doing something to protect your children!". 

Since it is still only on the state level, at least it is easier to change / repeal.  Don't forget to vote this November when a lot of those Assembly and State Senate people are up for reelection.

another part of the law that is a little tricky, is with handguns...........it says if your semi auto pistol "has the capacity to accept an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip", it needs to be registered with the state as an assault weapon.......now take a Glock for example, I know that there are several manufacturers that offer high capacity magazines that extend beyond the grip for these guns........so, if I'm reading the law correctly, not knowing that someone, somewhere may offer an aftermarket part for your gun, may put you in violation.

Edited by jjb4900

another part of the law that is a little tricky, is with handguns...........it says if your semi auto pistol "has the capacity to accept an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip", it needs to be registered with the state as an assault weapon.......now take a Glock for example, I know that there are several manufacturers that offer high capacity magazines that extend beyond the grip for these guns........so, if I'm reading the law correctly, not knowing that someone, somewhere may offer an aftermarket part for your gun, may put you in violation.

NO. I will have to search but this was addressed and is not the case.

A couple of years ago you were saying Obama was going to make changes on the federal level and take away all your guns.  Still hasn't happened.  And I'm still laughing at you for insisting it would.

Unfortunately, because of the tragedy in Connecticut, our state legislature pushed through a terrible piece of legislation just so they could say, "Look at us, we are doing something to protect your children!". 

Since it is still only on the state level, at least it is easier to change / repeal.  Don't forget to vote this November when a lot of those Assembly and State Senate people are up for reelection.

They attempted new restrictions and if the House had been Dem controlled it would have gone through. Don't think for one minute that the first opportunity they get controlling all 3 with newly appointed SCOTUS that it won't fly.

And if the Republicans were controlling all three, there would be no Affordable Care Act.

We can play IFs all day.  My whole point back then was that nothing on the national level will be changed because nothing was getting through the House.  But people wanted to predict doom anyway, so I laugh.

:)

And if the Republicans were controlling all three, there would be no Affordable Care Act.

We can play IFs all day.  My whole point back then was that nothing on the national level will be changed because nothing was getting through the House.  But people wanted to predict doom anyway, so I laugh.

:)

But a couple years ago was prior to an election so the fear was real.

NO. I will have to search but this was addressed and is not the case.

http://www.governor.ny.gov/nysafeact/gun-reform

follow the "interactive tool" to see if you need to register.........let me know what you think, they show photos of all the features, it sure looks to me like a magazine that simply protrudes from the bottom of the grip.

Edited by jjb4900

I am not going to get too involved in this, but  I have just a couple of thoughts, and opinions.

During the last election, in particular, the NRA and others attacked the President because he was going to take our guns away. Almost immediately the anti gun people, answered, publicly. They stated and documented that there were less gun laws at the end of his first term than when he got in. They pointed out that he was given an F in gun control by an anti gun group. There went the credibility of the gun lobby in the minds of many people !!

Although that didn't cement his win, it did point out that the gun lobby was just trying to create a paranoia, and spread wrong information.

I read statements about the Safe Act, many are based on unwarranted fears, and predictions. If the pro gun people want to attack this law they MUST use documented facts only , or again they will lose credibility, and viewed as paranoid, and uninformed.

The goal should be to sell those people on the fence, because most of  those for it, and most of  those against it have made up .their minds

Many gun owners do not care about background checks, or the government knowing that they have guns.They have been told time and time again, through the years, that the government is coming to take their guns, and they still have them. They own a couple of guns, hunt as a past time a few days a year, and will pay a little more for ammo. I don't know how you can win them over, but being united, informed and law abiding citizens helps. Telling those  people that you will ignore a law because you don't like it, or spreading rumors, predictions and disputable facts doesn't help the cause..

Lastly, in my opinion, most people are not one issue voters, and will look at the totality of issues, not just gun control. So when you wonder why gun owners vote for an anti gun candidate that is a possible reason.  If the Governor threw out the law himself, would YOU vote for him, or are there other issues. I think many here still wouldn't vote for him.

I read statements about the Safe Act, many are based on unwarranted fears, and predictions.

Like What?

It is law a lot is just there in print. Most gray comments are because it was poorly written by people that knew little about guns and had no idea the actual impact of what they were writing. You can't even get LEOs to explain it the same and they have to enforce it.

I am not going to get too involved in this, but  I have just a couple of thoughts, and opinions.

During the last election, in particular, the NRA and others attacked the President because he was going to take our guns away. Almost immediately the anti gun people, answered, publicly. They stated and documented that there were less gun laws at the end of his first term than when he got in. They pointed out that he was given an F in gun control by an anti gun group. There went the credibility of the gun lobby in the minds of many people !!

Although that didn't cement his win, it did point out that the gun lobby was just trying to create a paranoia, and spread wrong information.

I read statements about the Safe Act, many are based on unwarranted fears, and predictions. If the pro gun people want to attack this law they MUST use documented facts only , or again they will lose credibility, and viewed as paranoid, and uninformed.

The goal should be to sell those people on the fence, because most of  those for it, and most of  those against it have made up .their minds

Many gun owners do not care about background checks, or the government knowing that they have guns. They have been told time and time again, through the years, that the government is coming to take their guns, and they still have them. They own a couple of guns, hunt as a past time a few days a year, and will pay a little more for ammo. I don't know how you can win them over, but being united, informed and law abiding citizens helps. Telling those  people that you will ignore a law because you don't like it, or spreading rumors, predictions and disputable facts doesn't help the cause..

Lastly, in my opinion, most people are not one issue voters, and will look at the totality of issues, not just gun control. So when you wonder why gun owners vote for an anti gun candidate that is a possible reason.  If the Governor threw out the law himself, would YOU vote for him, or are there other issues. I think many here still wouldn't vote for him.

There are fewer gun laws on the books now BECAUSE the NRA fought the existing ones on local, state and national levels.  Obama's DOJ put up a very big fight to stop the laws from being overturned.  Most were dismissed because they were UNCONSTITUTIONAL!  The information gun groups put out isn't wrong, the facts are twisted by anti-gun groups that put out simple statements to address very complicated legal issues.  The credibility of the pro gun side is intact, but the minds of many people have devolved into uneducated and uniformed apathy.

Obama and Cuomo are writing laws that make existing firearms and ammo illegal.  How can anyone believe they aren't taking our guns away.  Just because the cops don't knock on your door, or start kicking them in, asking for them, doesn't mean your rights aren't being taken away.

You want to know what are the documented facts in the SAFE ACT?  READ IT!  It's all there in writing for anyone with enough of a brain to read the law!  Legally owned firearms and magazines have been declared ILLEGAL now and can no longer be owned.  If you don't see that as being taken away, you are in denial.

The issues voters need to be concerned about are FREEDOMS!  Our rights are being eroded, in all areas, not just the 2nd Amendment, and the people don't even realize it, or care about it!  Just because they haven't seen the effects on their personal lives ......YET!

And when they do see it, it will be too late to change it.  Each step, in the Left's "Right Direction", is another step closer to a boot standing on your neck!