removing stock & forearm.

Ive got an Ithaca model 37 12 gauge pump. My dad bought the gun back in 73 and gave it to me a few years back. I would like to have the stock and forearms refinished and a buddies dad does that stuff for a living and said he would do it for me. Just wondering if it is hard to remove the stock and forearm. I have never done it before. I have not even looked at it before so I figured I would post this now and when I get home later I will take a look on here and at the gun. Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Edited by boo711

It's easy enough to do.  The recoil pad should come off first, then a bolt through the stock can be taken off with an extension and socket.  The slide should come off (mind you it has been a while since I've done one) pretty easy; pull the magazine tube cap off then on the underside of the bolt is a little pin that you can slide one way only.  It is under spring tension and will then release the slide as you lift up/out.

Let me know if I'm close, room service here at the Holiday Inn is knocking...........................................................grin

It's easy enough to do.  The recoil pad should come off first, then a bolt through the stock can be taken off with an extension and socket.  The slide should come off (mind you it has been a while since I've done one) pretty easy; pull the magazine tube cap off then on the underside of the bolt is a little pin that you can slide one way only.  It is under spring tension and will then release the slide as you lift up/out.

Let me know if I'm close, room service here at the Holiday Inn is knocking...........................................................grin

that sounds about right...I would just use caution unscrewing and and replacing the metal cap that caps/finisnes off the forearm, if I remember, the threads on the sleeve that fits inside the forearm are very fine and easily crossthreaded.

Thanks law and jjb. You guys were right. The threads on cap are very fine. You dont want to damage those or it will be hard to get back on. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. Hopefully when it is finished I can get another 40 years out of it!!

• Like 1

Thanks law and jjb. You guys were right. The threads on cap are very fine. You dont want to damage those or it will be hard to get back on. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. Hopefully when it is finished I can get another 40 years out of it!!

Pics man, pics!

• 1 month later...

Well law, I finally got it back. I had the stock and forearm refinished by a buddys Father. The rest of the gun I had a gunsmith completely disassemble. He cleaned and every internal part, gave it light oiling and reassemble. Also had a new scope put on there since the one that was on the gun was over 30 yrs old. Going to finish getting it all sighted in then anxiously await hunting season for the next 8 months. It is basically a brand new gun. It wss really cool to see my dads face when I took it out of the case. Hopefully I can put it to use like he did and my son will have memories of me using that gun like I have of my dad!!

Some before and after pics.

post-2680-0-95573600-1394216258_thumb.jp

post-2680-0-50415700-1394216284_thumb.jp

post-2680-0-53344400-1394216308_thumb.jp

post-2680-0-63576000-1394216327_thumb.jp

Edited by boo711
  • Like 3