Cold Effects On Your Job?

Lawdwaz

I am a Boiler Operator for a hospital in Upstate N.Y. The gas company put us on temporary "no gas usage" for our 3 Boilers. We are now primarly on oil for the 9th day. These boilers produce the steam needed for the hospital and we are burning between 125-140 gallons of #2 fuel oil per hour! About $490 per hour in oil or $11,760 a day(24 hour) !! Hopefully this cold snap quits its $hit asap, so we can go back to Natural Gas!!!

*We are getting fuel deliveries every other day burning through 3000+ gallons a day-

• Like 1

I install / remove Real Estate signs a couple days a week . I have to climb over snow banks , etc and then clear a spot with a shovel to put the stake for the post and install the sign . Sometimes the swing bar for the post is frozen in the ground and I get out the 4' pry bar . Anyway , I am out of the vehicle about 10 minutes on each sign so it's not too awful bad . I bought one of those Mad Bomber Hats the other day to keep my head warm .

Anyway , those guys that work up in the air in those buckets on the power lines , etc in the cold and winds , have my respect !

I've been doing demo on 2 floors of a large commercial bldg. which held corporate offices for an engineering company. We're completely gutting it so it can be turned into student housing. There's no heat! Even if it warms up to 20 outside, it stays below 0 inside. Good news is we're 3/4 of the way done. We tolerate the cold by staying busy and swinging sledge hammers.