New Setback Rules proposed by Cuomo

virgil

I'm thinking mainstream media would have been a good start. I'm not saying that that would catch 100% of the non-hunting publics attention, but if the DEC is going to play the role and try to put on a façade that  you are really interested in receiving input from the entire public (especially on matters that directly impact them), it would be good to make a good-faith effort to do so. What they do with the information is up to them, but at least the info would be out there as to what is being proposed for their neighborhoods. Do they even care? I suspect they do, but can't say with certainty. But of course without the issue even being brought to their attention, I guess we may never know.

I would love to see stuff like this hit the mainstream media, but think of the sheer number of issues proposed each year. People would become so inundated, it would become white noise anyway. Shoot, Id say most of the people that do actually care about this stuff dont know about it, let alone people that are more concerned with Keeping up with the Kardashians.

When this was bought up so long ago I made sure that I mentioned it to ppl in every check out...Waiting room  ect...ect that I went to...I mentioned unless they checked the DEC sites or the news this would pass and then their only options was the town board meetings...and that is what I am doing now as well...There comes a time...hunter or not property owners rights have to be protected..Ppl should be able to go out in their front or back yard...have their  kids and dogs play on their property with out fear of stray arrows or bullets for that matter...with out worrying that some guy/woman that happens to see a big buck in the area may get a bug up his back side about how much noise or activity is going on in an area that is close to your house...Then calling in a harassment complaint..... Having to worry about the blinds being closed or the curtains drawn because someone is so close with a good set of binoculars.....Hey a 20.00 spot in a local penny saver...asking the question...Land owners...Do you want a person in camo hunting 150ft from your back door with arrows and holding binoculars? NYSDEC.com proposed set back laws...

Could be worth the money...or notice on a bulletin board...one behind glass...so it doesn't go missing...you can find those around different places....

You should use facebook to network like you describe , once you get familiar with it you will know why people recommend it...

no...will never Face book nor twitter or Skype...

Everything you suggested to be done for outreach in post 173 would be magnified 1,000 times by using face book. Not only is the hunting community most definitely present on face book, including this forum, but so are local communities. Your local police and/or town hall might be on it. Your neighbors may be on it individually or as an area page. All the politicians are on it. The DEC is on it. The Fish and Wildlife Service is on it. You can also use it to quickly (skip the registration process) respond to newspaper articles/letters or yahoo articles. So if your local news paper has something in it you want to input in, all you do is log into your face book account and start typing then press enter and its done...  Check it out and as you learn how to use it, you will appreciate its usefulness. I hope Doc and others take note of this as well. 

Edited by mike rossi

That is better than nothing, but you are slacking and leaving the responsibility to others. Face book allows you to weed out things you don't need and funnel the stuff you want quite well actually.

Face Book, used wisely, is a great tool to gather information and a powerful outreach tool. Used unwisely, it is a big waste of time...

I can't get too excited ...when I read in the ODN today about both crossbow and the set back lowering and it reads... IMO.... as a done deal...Though...hhhmmm now the AR for 7p was pulled by the sponsors during all this?

BTW the DEC is very deceitful in their description of arrow flight and the way in which most bow hunters shoot..ESPECIALLY with the induction of cross bows...which..For those that don't know I have one...so not totally against... and the # of ppl it will open bow season to whom are not inclined to hunt up in a tree taking angled shots....

Sorry but how man guys out there over bow and end up doing the sky ward draw...don't say you haven't seen it...and how far can a arrow travel ..lets see  saysDEC...45%...a couple of hundred yards....kids learning wonder how many times that happens...

While I never realized that the little dictator had the power to do so, it appears that he can make such changes simply by decree in his budget. It makes you wonder just how far those "executive budget powers" extend. How something like this can be dictated as a matter of "budget powers" is beyond me. But anyway, Grow is absolutely correct. It has been decreed and with the passage of the budget, all of this stuff will become finalized. I don't know whether there is any other step in the process, but I would say from the attached article it appears not :

https://www.27east.com/news/article.cfm/East-End/50260/Cuomo-Seeks-Hunting-Regulation-Changes-Deer-Hunting-Areas-May-Open-Up

"While the local deer debate rages on, Governor Andrew Cuomo has used his executive budget powers to potentially loosen hunting restrictions statewide—a move his office is touting as a direct countermeasure to the spiking deer population.

As an amendment to the state’s Environmental Conservation Law, Gov. Cuomo’s budget seeks to officially allow the use of crossbows for the hunting of deer and bear. In addition, the budget would allow the use of either a long bow or a crossbow at a distance of 150 feet or more from any building—a far cry from the current 500-foot setback."

Again, these same things were attached to the budget proposal last year. They were stripped out before the budget was signed. Its not a done deal until they are left in there and the budget is passed. There are lots of opportunities for them to be removed. The author of that article just happened to leave all that out though. I wish they would not sensationalize this kind of stuff, just state the facts.

Well considering they were the one that but it in their 5 year plan....what would make you think they would not implement their own suggestion?

Have you seen the bear proposals?...possible...thoughts on..... spring hunts....taking bears with in a group of bears...(no more momma protection)...and hunting over bait??? Now that is interesting...like to know how they plan to manage that one when any food or substance put out that deer could possible ingest would cause it to be illegal...is deer baiting in the future?...

YOU HAVE UNTIL THE END OF FEB. TO COMMENT

Well considering they were the one that but it in their 5 year plan....what would make you think they would not implement their own suggestion?

Have you seen the bear proposals?...possible...thoughts on..... spring hunts....taking bears with in a group of bears...(no more momma protection)...and hunting over bait??? Now that is interesting...like to know how they plan to manage that one when any food or substance put out that deer could possible ingest would cause it to be illegal...is deer baiting in the future?...

YOU HAVE UNTIL THE END OF FEB. TO COMMENT

They want the ability to have  the set back rule as a tool. I don't see how that is inconsistent.

As far as the bears go. In the Northern zone you can shoot a bear from a group now, just not in SZ. Would love to see spring hunts and if you are baiting it isn't hard to select bait that would not be utilized for deer. Also the method used to place the bait will keep deer from getting it. In Ontario the guide I hunted with put the bait (meat) in a 5 gallon bucket with small holes drilled in it. the open end of the bucket was slide into a milk crate and the entire thing was laid on its side and covered with logs and rocks. Even the coyotes couldn't get in to the bait. Only a bear had the strength to rip the bait station open to get at it.  I have also seen bait hung and also 55 gallon barrels used.

They want the ability to have  the set back rule as a tool. I don't see how that is inconsistent.

Did I say some where it was inconstant?

Now as far as them applying the set back...What in the world would make anyone think...they would say...150 for the  urban/suburbs and areas of too high a density and not to the rural country side?... that would go over with in the hunting community...like a pile turds under your stoop on a 90 degree day...lol

As for the bears...I know the rules and read the article....I also know how baiting is done...though not everyone uses... in legal areas.... 55 gal. drums...but just wanted to point out the comment cut of time is nearing...thus the bold lettering

(sp)

Edited by growalot

Did I say some where it was inconstant?

I was speaking to your statement that it was in their 5 year plan, why would they not implement it.  What I was trying to convey is just because it is in their plan is no guarantee it will be implemented or how widely it will be implemented. The justification used to push it forward that I keep hearing is about how it is needed to control the suburban high density areas. I would find it consistent that they would use it in areas as I described and as mentioned in the 5 year plan. I could see them using it in say 8C and 8H but not in 8M or 8N and possibly even into smaller regions like specific towns.

Again, these same things were attached to the budget proposal last year. They were stripped out before the budget was signed. Its not a done deal until they are left in there and the budget is passed. There are lots of opportunities for them to be removed. The author of that article just happened to leave all that out though. I wish they would not sensationalize this kind of stuff, just state the facts.

You said this 2 or 3 times and nobody pays attention because of gappy journalism they read. This is the problem with the sporting community in general. I heard you and I appreciate you pointing that out and more kudos for making the frustrating effort of repeating it...

Edited by mike rossi
  • Like 1

I was speaking to your statement that it was in their 5 year plan, why would they not implement it.  What I was trying to convey is just because it is in their plan is no guarantee it will be implemented or how widely it will be implemented. The justification used to push it forward that I keep hearing is about how it is needed to control the suburban high density areas. I would find it consistent that they would use it in areas as I described and as mentioned in the 5 year plan. I could see them using it in say 8C and 8H but not in 8M or 8N and possibly even into smaller regions like specific towns.

A lot of plans or aspects of plans get off to a delayed start or never get implemented, plans or strategies much more important ones than this! I would agree that the DEC would more likely implement this on a local level rather than statewide, which makes more sense and is more acceptable to me.

Never the less this is an example of hunters taking a big interest in pest control which is becoming more and more synonymous with the sport of hunting. It also is pandering to a contingent of hunters in the shooting and trophy stage. The USDA Wildlife Services already has been controlling nuisance wildlife on the tax payers dime for many years. The so-called "federal sharpshooters" are "nothing new". Many owners of very large land tracts use wildlife services for free rather than allow sportsman to hunt or trap. What makes anyone believe that suburban residents living on 5 acres will be more receptive to hunters than Montana or Wyoming sheep ranchers or cattlemen who own thousands of acres?  Taxes? No that is the "sportsman's perspective" again. We all have been contributing to Wildlife Services through our taxes since the division has been created within the USDA, and they have existed for some number of years now.

Edited by mike rossi

I really don't see anything that falls into the category of sensationalizing in any of the articles that cover this story. The facts are correct, and whether or not this is a repeat action by Cuomo, the story and actions are still factual. Plus, if these provisions were indeed stripped from his last budget, it is likely that he used them as throw-away issues to advance the budget. He certainly has a lot more motivation to not be quite as free with them this year. Frankly, I do think it is a done-deal.

Let's hope that they do not break it down as fine as you are describing. But, I certainly wouldn't put it past them to make it just as confusing and obtuse as possible. They are known for that. But really, game laws need simplification rather than more complexity. And let's face it if you can get the densely populated urban and suburban (the hotbed of anti-hunting) residents to put up with this nonsense, you might as well make it a statewide fiasco while they are at it.