New Setback Rules proposed by Cuomo

virgil

I'm against the 150 ft.

But if it goes in, it needs to be for everyone including rural.

And if it does, anyone setting up like that to me had better talk about recovery permission BEFORE needing it.

That will not be allowed if they don't and maybe not even then.

I really don't see anything that falls into the category of sensationalizing in any of the articles that cover this story. The facts are correct, and whether or not this is a repeat action by Cuomo, the story and actions are still factual. Plus, if these provisions were indeed stripped from his last budget, it is likely that he used them as throw-away issues to advance the budget. He certainly has a lot more motivation to not be quite as free with them this year. Frankly, I do think it is a done-deal.

The sensationalization comes from the insinuation that Cuomo is behind the proposals.He merely supports them. The article you posted also makes it sound like these proposals will pass in the budget, and theres no way around it. This is not true.

Its half assed journalism. Unfortunately, people blindly buy into it.

I'm against the 150 ft.

But if it goes in, it needs to be for everyone including rural.

And if it does, anyone setting up like that to me had better talk about recovery permission BEFORE needing it.

That will not be allowed if they don't and maybe not even then.

Thinking about this some more, I am not sure the intent is not statewide. I believe other states, such as Pennsylvania which have implemented this, did it on a statewide basis, but I am not sure.

I don't really like this idea but I am not going to bother to write my state reps about it either. The DEC, in its draft mute swan management plan, stated it receives around 100 calls a year by people concerned about the welfare of mute swans wearing DEC neck collars. The brief discussion about those calls seems to imply it burdens the department. However, they apparently hold the opinion that the set back strategy is worth the hassles it will invite.

The sensationalization comes from the insinuation that Cuomo is behind the proposals.He merely supports them. The article you posted also makes it sound like these proposals will pass in the budget, and theres no way around it. This is not true.

Its half assed journalism. Unfortunately, people blindly buy into it.

Yes, Cuomo "is behind the proposals". It is his budget that is supplying the current proposals. They are not coming via the normal legislative route, but instead are coming via his executive budget activity. To me that constitutes more than just mere support. Let's face it, he is not just simply issuing and opinion of support. He has taken an activist stance and has come up with the verbiage to push it forward. Yeah, I think he owns the issue now.

Yes, Cuomo "is behind the proposals". It is his budget that is supplying the current proposals. They are not coming via the normal legislative route, but instead are coming via his executive budget activity. To me that constitutes more than just mere support. Let's face it, he is not just simply issuing and opinion of support. He has taken an activist stance and has come up with the verbiage to push it forward. Yeah, I think he owns the issue now.

Doc,

He is grand standing on an issue that is recommended by the DEC and supported by organized sportsman through resolutions,  and which is also supported by some state lawmakers. It is likely the governor and lawmakers have received more public support than public opposition regarding this issue. I agree with you that if the non hunting public was aware of this proposal that politicians and the DEC would be receiving a significant level of opposition.

Edited by mike rossi

Doc,

He is grand standing on an issue that is recommended by the DEC and supported by organized sportsman through resolutions,  and which is also supported by some state lawmakers. It is likely the governor and lawmakers have received more public support than public opposition regarding this issue. I agree with you that if the non hunting public was aware of this proposal that politicians and the DEC would be receiving a significant level of opposition.

I understand all that has gone on before, but right now the legislative impetus is contained in Cuomo's document. Therefore he is behind the proposals, plain and simple. Those who are suggesting that he is merely expressing opinions are ignoring that fact. He is an active pusher of those issues and has therefore taken ownership. And that is exactly what the articles that I have read are accurately portraying.

Doc, what part of it was tried to be put through the same way last year dont you get? Many things are written into the budget every year. Look into it, youd be surprised.

Doc, what part of it was tried to be put through the same way last year dont you get? Many things are written into the budget every year. Look into it, youd be surprised.

Write an informative article dude, send it in the NYON. An article, not a letter to the editor.. We will post in on face book as well if you write it in general terms rather than about this particular bill. if you do send it along to us...

Even if that is so, what difference does that make? None of that has any bearing on showing that the articles are dealing with sensationalizing. It's simple news reporting. See, I simply don't get your point. You seem to be aggravated at some magazine editors for pointing out Cuomo's involvement and think that they are doing something other than reporting a news story. Would you have been happier if they had just suppressed that part of the news? Seriously, I don't get it.

Even if that is so, what difference does that make? None of that has any bearing on showing that the articles are dealing with sensationalizing. It's simple news reporting. See, I simply don't get your point. You seem to be aggravated at some magazine editors for pointing out Cuomo's involvement and think that they are doing something other than reporting a news story. Would you have been happier if they had just suppressed that part of the news? Seriously, I don't get it.

For the hundredth, and last time, my issue is the half assed journalism and the insinuation that any of this is Cuomos idea. None of it is. The authors of such articles are playing on your emotions. Its not legitimate news, its misinformation. I dont care what side of the fence it comes from, misinformation is a bad thing.

As far as if it was so or not, look it up. I believe there was a thread or two on it last year here.

For the hundredth, and last time, my issue is the half assed journalism and the insinuation that any of this is Cuomos idea. None of it is. The authors of such articles are playing on your emotions. Its not legitimate news, its misinformation. I dont care what side of the fence it comes from, misinformation is a bad thing.

As far as if it was so or not, look it up. I believe there was a thread or two on it last year here.

might as well save your breath, it doesn't matter if Cuomo backs something that's good for hunters or bad for hunters. If he signs off on something that is good for us, he's "throwing us a bone"..........if he signs off on something bad for us, "he's anti hunting"..............most of these proposed changes have been around before he was even elected.

Sorry but the minute Cuomo inserted those proposals into his budget he took ownership of them because regardless of past history, he is the only one at the moment who is taking them forward legislatively. That's how it's been reported and those are the facts. The magazine articles simply are pointing out the fact that he is the one moving the issues forward. I understood it, and I can't understand why you are having such a hard time with it. Is it bad journalism to point out Cuomo's role and the fact that he is the one moving these proposals forward? You seem to think so. I do not. I have not seen any magazine quotes that state, insinuate or imply that Cuomo sat around and thought up these ideas by himself. Some how you have inserted that idea into these articles and can't get it out. And you are saying that your imaginings are  somehow misinformation .... lol. I can't help you out there. But anyway, you seem to think the articles mis-stated something and it really seems to bother you. I guess I have no real problem with that if that's something that you need to believe. I was just curious as to how some of those notions got into your head. It's not a big deal.

I'm for this, my parents are not. They live a 1/8 of the mile in the woods, taken deer stands down that are to close to live stock or the house many times . a swamp runs behind there house, given we are just talking bow, after having a dog shot and idiots clearly trespassing on over posted land right down the driveway you can c their point. Ever have someone try to tell you your trespassing on you families land when the house is 75ft away on the hill? My poor mother heard every four letter word come out of her sons mouth that day.~~~~ On the other hand I live in the village of Penfield. I have 2 acres and my neighbor has 4 heavily wooded and on the other side I think 1acre. The creek backs and park backs up to the 4. I measured~ couldn't get 500' away from the little retirement apartments. Honestly I already have my stand positions picked out if it passes. I believe this is exactly what the law change is trying to accomplish. Will recovery be a issue? Mabie, Will this be the number one issue in my mind while taking a shot? You bet ya!!!

Right there it is...my point...mind you not calling you out..please remember that...

1 Did anyone read in that...have permission to recover and stand sites all set?

2  How do you purpose his line of thinking is going to be with

" Will recovery be an issue?..maybe..Will this be the number one issue..while taking the shot? You bet ya!"

What road do you think his line of thinking at the time of shot will take...baring in mind one wouldn't want a running deer..

Recall the types of shots I said this rule change  will increase...just saying

My line of thinking is the land funnels back to the creek, to their bedding area.Stand would be placed accordingly , not over some neighbors land. Every neighbor I've talked to would rather have them gone. On the off chance that a hit deer would decide to climb to high ground and die in a neighbors front yard of a non supporting neighbor is minimum at best but could happen. I wouldn't be able to ever get the old people little apartment complex to give me permission to put a stand up within 500' of them and now I don't need to. And given that there is almost a cliff between them and i a deer wouldn't travel up besides one that's hit. It's not like I'm talking about going in the back yard of a 200' by 200' piece of land and expecting the deer to fall over dead right there. We are talking about acres of permission altogether that couldn't be hunted under the 500' rule but now can be. Retreaval can be a problem anywhere and mabie slightly more in this situation.