Where do we stand with crossbows

Tinlodge

They could always come to some sort of compromise:

Bow season is about 6 weeks long now. Let it be vertical only for the first 3 or 4 weeks, then open it up to x-bows for the rest of the seasons. Both sides should hate that idea, which is usually a good litmus test for something fair. ;)

Xbows first, everything else archery second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xbows first, everything else archery second 

That would make no sense since you can always hunt "down".  Crossbows are a more advanced weapon than a vertical bow.  Especially because "vertical bows" include traditionals and recurves.

Edited by Sogaard

That would make no sense since you can always hunt "down". Crossbows are a more advanced weapon than a vertical bow. Especially because "vertical bows" include traditionals and recurves.
then why is ml season after rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Okay to take abreak from the my arrow is longer than your arrow talk and get back on track...Cuomo today said he is allowing crossbows in all archery seasons and doing away with youth hunting. He anticipates a very large increase in archery hunters now as well as out of staters coming to NYS. Reason for the youth hunt, its too dangerous to have youth with rifles at the same time so many archers will be in the woods. And the revenues from the increased licensing is more important to the state than the benefit of youths shooting does and spikes, etc. Youths will be able to hunt regular season but will be subject to AR and the normal rules

Bow season is about 6 weeks long now. Let it be vertical only for the first 3 or 4 weeks, then open it up to x-bows for the rest of the seasons. Both sides should hate that idea, which is usually a good litmus test for something fair. ;)

I'd compromise to something like that. Start small with a 1 week crossbow season maybe? Many states have real short gun seasons. Could be like that. Allow archery during the time as well so nobody "loses" time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Belo

I'm with this. The hunting usually sucks the first 2 weeks and piss warm anyways. :biggrin:

But there's still a lot of deer not on alert yet. Ever notice how they change after opening of gun? It's not just the loud noises... Deer don't act like that during turkey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay to take abreak from the my arrow is longer than your arrow talk and get back on track...Cuomo today said he is allowing crossbows in all archery seasons and doing away with youth hunting. He anticipates a very large increase in archery hunters now as well as out of staters coming to NYS. Reason for the youth hunt, its too dangerous to have youth with rifles at the same time so many archers will be in the woods. And the revenues from the increased licensing is more important to the state than the benefit of youths shooting does and spikes, etc. Youths will be able to hunt regular season but will be subject to AR and the normal rules

Link source, please.  I'd like to ready the article.

Bow season is about 6 weeks long now.  Let it be vertical only for the first 3 or 4 weeks, then open it up to x-bows for the rest of the seasons.  Both sides should hate that idea, which is usually a good litmus test for something fair.   ;)

Or make the first 3 or 4 recurve/longbow (the tackle that started the bow seasons) only and the last part open to their distant cousin the compound and its fraternal twin the crossbow.

You can use a lot of justifications for compounds vs a recurve, but I really do disagree that it should serve as a weapon to make up for archer's shortfalls. There just is no stopping that mindset once to accept it.

Fixed it.

Or make the first 3 or 4 recurve/longbow (the tackle that started the bow seasons) only and the last part open to their distant cousin the compound and its fraternal twin the crossbow.

I actually wouldn't mind if they designated the first week for longbow/recurve only.  I think three or four weeks would be a bit silly since, I would guess, it is a very, very small minority that hunt with a non-compound bows.

Hi...new guy here..been Hunting NY for 44 years, both gun and bow.  Been bow hunting for fifty years this season.  There has certainly been a lot of discussion about the crossbow thing here.  As a long time hunter I have seen a lot of change and if I do not die real soon I am sure there will be more.

Just remember young fellas opinions are like aholes everybody has one...ha ha ha.  Just kidding..

My biggest concern is that they allow older and disabled hunters the ability to use a crossbow when it is not possible for them to pull a bow back any longer.  Enjoy the discussion.

I hunt with a recurve - some private and public.

I want no special season - all 6 weeks with recurve, compound and crossbow is fine.

And see no reason for a separate mz season either.

2 seasons - bow and gun.

I understand your point of view, and honestly, as far as the bow part, I'm pretty sure it will end up that way soon.

As for the ML, never happen, for the sole reason that the DEC would lose money by combining ML into gun season.

Hi...new guy here..been Hunting NY for 44 years, both gun and bow.  Been bow hunting for fifty years this season.  There has certainly been a lot of discussion about the crossbow thing here.  As a long time hunter I have seen a lot of change and if I do not die real soon I am sure there will be more.

Just remember young fellas opinions are like aholes everybody has one...ha ha ha.  Just kidding..

My biggest concern is that they allow older and disabled hunters the ability to use a crossbow when it is not possible for them to pull a bow back any longer.  Enjoy the discussion.

I don't think you'll find anyone here that disagrees with that last statement (or at least not many, :)).

Fixed it.

3 or 4 weeks of recurve? that'd crush license sales. don't be silly.

• Like 1

Why? Wouldn't serious bowhunters just get a recurve like they did when the bow seasons began?

No.

(Hope that clears it up.)

:laugh:

In all seriousness, if NY was ever changed like that, I'd bow hunt in Jersey until gun season and just not buy a NY archery tag.  I didn't spend $1600+ on a compound bow setup to use it for two weeks.  I doubt I'm the only one that would feel that way.

Why? Wouldn't serious bowhunters just get a recurve like they did when the bow seasons began?

They're not really serious bow hunters... they'd rather jump ship than bow hunt... hunting seems to more about the weapon than hunting for lots of guys... if they said I could only hunt with a rock I'd be warmin' up my throwing arm! :training:  I'm sure someone would try creating a sight and a throwing glove just to get their gadget fix. :declare:

• Like 2

I can see why he would do that. The previous youth hunts have had so many safety issues with bow hunters being shot.

Please define "so many".  How many bow hunters were shot by youth hunters in New York's 2012 and 2013 Youth weekends? 

Edited by Sogaard

So many as in ZERO! Lol should have used a sarcasm emoji

Whew - next time, please do.   :laugh:

I have heard that same opinion expressed here before by people who were 100% serious.  

Edited by Sogaard