Where do we stand with crossbows

Tinlodge

Look at it like this belo. The guys doing that sort of thing most likely wont be very successful, and you wont have to worry about them for long. Either they will adjust their tactics and become successful, or they will quit trying. After all, whether its crossbow, compound or recurve, first and foremost, you have to get a deer within the effective range to be successful. A compound and crossbow have a very similar effective range.

BTW, I know lots of guys that smoke and bowhunt. Plenty of them are successful at it. Maybe its time you stopped letting fear shape your opinions, and take a look at what is going on in the states that do allow crossbows. I havent heard of the sky falling in any of them.

This is it in a nutshell. Guys who have private land with restricted access may not even notice a difference but you can tell me that on small parcels and public land you wont see a noticeable difference in the amount of pressure during Archery season. Pressure isn't just a guy sitting in a stand with a X Bow near you, its also everything else that goes on with a sudden influx of hunters into the woods. This has absolutely nothing to do with someone else shooting "my" deer in my eyes. Heck, I let friends and family sit in my stands all the time and would be happier than a pig in crap if one of them were to shoot a whopper out of my stand. This is all about Archery season turning more like gun season when X Bows are allowed, and I cant stand gun season. Also, if X bows are archery equipment, how come there isn't a crossbow division in the ASA and IBO shoots? I respect everyones opinion on X Bows but I think the majority of guys that don't have a problem with them are the ones who will use them themselves and those who wont see any effect pressure wise because they are hunting rater large chunks of private land.

NFAA, USA Archery and many of the other US and  international associations have divisions for them.

Also, if X bows are archery equipment, how come there isn't a crossbow division in the ASA and IBO shoots?  

IBO does have a crossbow division.

And the funny thing is, the "no skill required" crossbows always get outscored.

• Like 2

How does Pope and Young treat crossbows?

Dont know, dont care honestly. P&Y is far from my idea of an authority on anything except their record books. I cant even stand their scoring system. Gross/net? WTF, just count inches of bone and give the animal credit for everything it grows. anywho...

• Like 2

How does Pope and Young treat crossbows?

Just make something up like some of these guys do and we have to believe you.

I did a little digging and found this

we at Pope and Young encourage everyone to embrace the crossbow into their archery seasons.

There you have it!

Edited by wooly
  • Like 1

Look at it like this belo. The guys doing that sort of thing most likely wont be very successful, and you wont have to worry about them for long. Either they will adjust their tactics and become successful, or they will quit trying. After all, whether its crossbow, compound or recurve, first and foremost, you have to get a deer within the effective range to be successful. A compound and crossbow have a very similar effective range.

BTW, I know lots of guys that smoke and bowhunt. Plenty of them are successful at it. Maybe its time you stopped letting fear shape your opinions, and take a look at what is going on in the states that do allow crossbows. I havent heard of the sky falling in any of them.

I agree with your first paragraph 100%. I also know hunters who smoke and hunt. I was just trying to depict the image of the "clown hunter" who stalks and smokes and is rarely successful. Not the stand sitter, who is smoking... probably not going to hurt me.

We will continue to disagree regarding affective range.

All bows (longbows, compounds, crossbows) allowed in archery season, all guns allowed in gun season. One buck tag each year, and DMPs allocated as they need to be, no either sex tags that cover the whole state. Knock a week off of the end of gun season, leave a gap, then have late ML/archery as is.

Ahhhhh, simple, and would make for an even better late season. Hunters would become more selective with buck harvests and does could be managed more effectively.

A guy can dream cant he? Lol

Doubt this would ever happen due to the loss in revenue it would cause the DEC.  With the removal of Sportsman and Super Sportsman licenses, if there are no extra tags people would just buy them as the season progressed and stop after they hit their deer limit.  I would imagine there would be a severe drop off in late season tags sold.

Edited by Sogaard

Just make something up like some of these guys do and we have to believe you.

I did a little digging and found this

There you have it!

Were did you get this, it doesn't agree with what Bello posted in post 114 which looks like its directly from P&Y. I suppose Bello's info is outdated?

can you link to that? because I could type anything into the window and "quote it". Doesn't make it true.

here's what I think you were actually looking for: http://www.pope-young.org/bowhunting_clubposition.asp

LMAO ;)

Is that what he did, "type anything into the window and "quote it" ? If people on here are making stuff up they are undermining the forum.  

Edited by mike rossi

Is that what he did, "type anything into the window and "quote it" ? If people on here are making stuff up they are undermining the forum.  

just be glad that there are a*holes like me, who will take the time and point out lies. Sad that some believed him. The internet is a funny place. You can say anything and people believe you.

just be glad that there are a*holes like me, who will take the time and point out lies.

Yeah,  can you imagine if everyone jumped on board the crossbow revolution just because they thought it had the support of P&Y.

I bet a lot of folks would.

Not good when hunters can't even make up their own minds, or form their own opinions without a well know organizations backing.

This thread and many like it would be a lot shorter if we could weed out all the misinformation that gets posted as gospel.