Defending his rights or avoiding taxes?

It's State land, not Federal. You live there?

And you do realize ranchers create and provide the meat in them burgers we all like to shovel down our craws. No farms no food.

Actually it's federal land.  Look it up using any credible source.  Here is a pretty good summary of the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W1SUt7Y7FSA

Bundy's comments aren't at all racist in the context of that speech. Politically incorrect I suppose, but most critical speech today is politically incorrect. Bundy is being critical of the federal government.

The race card is being played in this case by the main stream media when using edited content out of context in order to strengthen a particular viewpoint. The politicians are essentially  backing away from the 'incorrectness' of Bundy's choice of words, rather than the content of the speech.

• Like 1

I like how he complains about others being on government subsidies when he is too clueless to realize we are all subsidizing him.  This guy is a buffoon.  And Fox News was parroting his claims about ancestral rights dating back to the 1800s when his family didn't even move to Nevada until 1948 and didn't start grazing cattle until 1954.  I'm enjoying the different opinions on this thread though.  I chuckle every time I read through it.  

From a source you all will be comfortable with, FoxNews:

http://mediamatters.org/video/2014/04/24/foxs-krauthammer-blasts-conservatives-for-their/199022 

Like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER: I agree entirely with Chuck. First of all it isn't enough to say I don't agree with what he said. This is a despicable statement. It's not the statement, you have to disassociate yourself entirely from the man. It's not like the words exist here and the man exists here. And why conservatives, or some conservatives end up in bed with people who, you know, he makes an anti-government statement, he takes an anti-government stand, he wears a nice big hat and he rides a horse, and all of a sudden he is a champion of democracy. This is a man who said that he doesn't recognize the authority of the United States of America. That makes him a patriot? I love this country, I love the Constitution, and it is the Constitution that established a government that all of us have to recognize. And for him to reject it was the beginning of all of this. And now what he said today is just the end of this.

And I think it is truly appalling that, as Chuck says, there are times when somehow simply because somebody takes an oppositionist stand, he becomes a conservative hero. You got to wait, you got to watch, you got to think about it. And look, do I have the right to go in to graze sheep in Central Park? I think not. You have to have some respect for the federal government, some respect for our system. And to say you don't and you don't recognize it and that makes you a conservative hero, to me, is completely contradictory, and rather appalling. And he has now proved it. 

Edited by Sogaard

And a continuation of that previous interview, also from FoxNews people:

Today, Fox News host Mike Wallace visited Mike Gallagher’s radio show and picked up where Krauthammer left off.  Gallagher, also a Fox News contributor, seemed of a like mind:

GALLAGHER: From day one, I said let’s not get too excited about this guy. We don’t know anything about him. He’s not exactly—this is probably not a guy who could be – is the poster child for being folk hero status. That’s what I said.

WALLACE: Well, that’s wise. ‘Cause I must say, some of your colleagues on the conservative side jumped on this bandwagon way too quickly… and, you know, I’ve never quite understood why this guy was a hero. I mean I understand you say, “Well, government overreach, big government.” But as Charles Krauthammer said yesterday, “You know, if I wanted to graze my sheep in Central Park, do I have a right to do that?”

…The guy had had judgments against him. They went to court… we have a system…. If you don’t like what the court does, then you appeal it in the court. He’d been in the courts for ten years and the courts kept ruling against him….

I’m not saying that the government acted perfectly. On the other hand… there are obligations. It would be like saying, “Well, I’m not going to allow myself to be screened at the airport. Because that’s government overreach.”

GALLAGHER: No, you’re right. You’re right.

Edited by Sogaard

Fox News is pretty low on my list of go-to outlets for 'news'. They're main stream media (MSM). Part of the problem, IMO. I get my information from a wide variety of sources: left, right and in-between, and I fact-check everything before I'll believe it, or give it enough credence to write about it.

The MSM has failed miserably in this case with regards to 'reporting news'. They're 'reporting' on a handful of words, taken out of context, with total disregard for the actual message of Bundy's speech. The masses eat it up, and the MSM keeps dishing it out. Fanning the heat of the flames away from the real issue.

In the meantime a few people in the US look beyond the MSM, for the facts.

Here's one example of someone more interested in the real content of Bundy's speech:

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/nevada-rancher-cliven-bundy-niger-innis/2014/04/25/id/567836/

I'll be happy to post more, if anyone's interested.

• Like 1

Except the Flag represents the 'union of States'. Not the federal government or it's ever expanding alphabeti-spaghetti agencies. You have appear to have adopted an authoritarian view of how this country operates.

So shouldn't his flag only have 13 stars?  It is tough to say you recognize the US but not the US government.  Its part of our constitution.  You can say you don't agree with them on pretty much everything, because I'm in that boat too, but to say you don't recognize they exist is another ridiculous statement from this boob.  And then to see him riding around with that huge US flag likes he's some sort of patriot did make me laugh.  

Did you watch that Jon Stewart clip?  It's very entertaining.  Here are few other parts of the clip I though were funny.  Feel free to put me down in some way because of it.  

"Harry Potter and the Intricacies of Land Use"

"Welfare rancher pulling of the worlds largest dine and dash"

"Most goods are cheaper when you steal the raw materials to make them"

"Sean Hannity has now made Glenn Beck the voice of reason"

Wake Up.

Good quote.  I've read quite a bit about Thomas Paine and I don't remember him saying he didn't recognize the US government existence.  Maybe Timothy McVeigh is more the anti government type patriot you were talking about?

Edited by d-bone20917

Why is it that everyone who supports this corrupt government, thinks those of us who don't are like Timothy McVeigh?  Talk about generalized stereotypes.  Imagine if we thought all Leftists were like Weather Underground members.

Wait a minute, a lot of them were!

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 1