Any update on Livingston Co. Going Rifle

moog5050

Be nice if it was introduced before the session is over like last year.

Just judging by what went on in Ontario County relative to the rifle laws, I would say that you guys over there in Livingston ought to be hearing something by now if it is going to be acted on for this year. Check with your town supervisor, or anyone in the county government. They ought to be able to tell you whether it is an active issue or not, and exactly where it is in the legislative process. Sometimes it just needs somebody to show some interest in order to get it moving.

Just updating my own thread.  Here is the latest from Assemblyman Nojay:

Dear Brian:

Thank you for your email regarding the ability for citizens living in Livingston County to hunt deer with rifles.

The Livingston County Board of Supervisors passed a law on June 12, 2013 to allow hunters the ability to use rifles to hunt big game in the county. The law then needed to be approved by lawmakers in Albany before rifle hunting would be permitted in Livingston County.  Because the adoption of the rifle law did not pass the Livingston County Board of Supervisors until June, 2013, this left the New York State Legislative body little time to act on the rifle legislation before the session in Albany ended on June 21, 2013. 

Here is a status of the Rifle Legislation: Senate Bill S.5855 permitting rifle hunting in Livingston County is sponsored by Senators Cathy Young and Patrick Gallivan.  The Assembly companion Bill is A.8157, for which I have sponsored.   I have been assured that this legislation is supposed to come to the floor for a vote in both houses this legislative session.   Form all indicators, I think the legislation to allow  rifle hunting in Livingston County will pass

Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

That response sounds very encouraging. I know that over here in Ontario County, we went through a few screw-ups and re-do's before it finally came out right.

So, do you have a good deer rifle all ready to use?

LOL - I have plenty of rifles Doc.  I became interested in hunting because I liked shooting first.  Now I just need a place to hunt with them.  Hopefully this year.  The savage 220 and TC MZ will continue their use in Monroe County.  Fingers crossed that I can finally get some of those rifles a little dirty.

• Like 1

I have a pile of rifles too, but only my old model 94 Winchester was of suitable caliber for deer. So when talk began about deer rifles in Ontario County, I had a great excuse to go out and buy a new American Ruger in .270 caliber. It got broken in twice this past season. It was great. No more smashed shoulder from that old 12 gauge Ithaca Deerslayer. Finally a deer gun where I can pick out the individual hair that I want to hit (Well maybe that's a bit of exaggeration ....lol).

I have a pile of rifles too, but only my old model 94 Winchester was of suitable caliber for deer. So when talk began about deer rifles in Ontario County, I had a great excuse to go out and buy a new American Ruger in .270 caliber. It got broken in twice this past season. It was great. No more smashed shoulder from that old 12 gauge Ithaca Deerslayer. Finally a deer gun where I can pick out the individual hair that I want to hit (Well maybe that's a bit of exaggeration ....lol).

I have a Sako 270 that will see some time if the leg is passed.  Great caliber.  A couple of 308s and a 30/30 that would be in the mix too, plus a 250-3000 soon.  I hope I have the opportunity to decide which one goes that day. 

Law, do you hunt Livingston?

I have a Sako 270 that will see some time if the leg is passed.  Great caliber.  A couple of 308s and a 30/30 that would be in the mix too, plus a 250-3000 soon.  I hope I have the opportunity to decide which one goes that day. 

Oh, you will. It sounds like they are serious now about getting it passed.

The trend has been Not passed the first year, and then being passed the second year of attempts. I think Ontario may be the only county where it took that third season, largely due to the county's internal disagreement, no so much because of the albany vote. Seeing as how the county passed it, this should fly by in Albany.

I can just imagine my .243 ringing out this fall.

You might want to bring something bigger than that .243 with all that bear activity we had last year - still have no idea what did that to the corn, but considering that a bear was seen in Chili last week, you could have been right. 

Never got to a vote last year, so I hope the first year not being passed trend is broken.

300 yards is a poke with a rifle at a deer but do able. People around here think because they have a bdc reticle they can shoot 400+. Then they hit the deer in the butt do to wind and wonder why. We've always had rifle but wish it'd go to shotgun. That said it'll be worlds of new opportunity with a rifle compared to slug gun when you head out. It'll definitely be a refreshing change for you guys.

300 yards is a poke with a rifle at a deer but do able. People around here think because they have a bdc reticle they can shoot 400+. Then they hit the deer in the butt do to wind and wonder why. We've always had rifle but wish it'd go to shotgun. That said it'll be worlds of new opportunity with a rifle compared to slug gun when you head out. It'll definitely be a refreshing change for you guys.

The distance thing is not a big deal for me. It is more a question of being able to frequently practice for awhile in shooting sessions with my deer rifle and actually enjoy it without putting up with the shoulder mangling that my 12 gauge used to supply. frankly, in my neck of the woods, distance is not limited by the weapon, but rather by the density of trees, brush, etc.  But oh what a great feeling to be able to pick out what hair I want to hit and then make it happen.

I doubt my shooting distances will change.  Too thick where we hunt, but it will be nice to bring those rifles out for a change.

Tricked out Sako...not changing shooting distance...overkill

Baja capable truck.....won't get it dity.....overkill

Pull out drawers in said truck bed...holds sako....overkill

I see a trend here.

• Like 1

You can never be overly prepared Phade.  You should know that!  What happens when I do kill that monster buck at 400yds with my Sako and need to 4x4 over the rough terrain to retrieve it.  I know you wont help drag.  All comes into play then, including the drawer to ensure my scope isn't bumped.  lol  What kind of analyst are you?

Tricked out Sako...not changing shooting distance...overkill

Baja capable truck.....won't get it dity.....overkill

Pull out drawers in said truck bed...holds sako....overkill

I see a trend here.

Sounds like the moog5050 is prepared for anything............in style!

You can never be overly prepared Phade. You should know that! What happens when I do kill that monster buck at 400yds with my Sako and need to 4x4 over the rough terrain to retrieve it. I know you wont help drag. All comes into play then, including the drawer to ensure my scope isn't bumped. lol What kind of analyst are you?

Youd use my truck. Dont lie.

• Like 1

It looks like another step was taken today. The state Senate approved a bill (S-5855B) on Tuesday that would add Livingston County to the list of counties that are authorized to hunt big game with rifles. The legislation must still be approved by the Assembly.

http://www.thelcn.com/lifestyles/outdoors/livingston-county-rifle-hunting-law-passes-senate-awaits-assembly-vote/article_74d3caf8-eb6e-11e3-90a3-001a4bcf887a.html