We did the "Monster Mash"..

wooly

Thanks so much everybody!
I had an absolute blast this season! All those opportunities early on with the bow were just building up to this final hunt.
I learned so much more about these birds the first three weeks by watching them than I would if I'd tagged out early.
Some of my crazy tactics would have made anyone who knows anything about turkey hunting cringe and say there's just no way I'd kill a nice one like that.
This was a bitter sweet hunt for me, but I too am a little sad now that the saga has finally ended.

This gobbler had come out on top of me dozens of times. It almost feels wrong to celebrate my one small victory without giving him most of the credit for making my season what it was, and by teaching me what he did over the course of the last month. I got so much respect for all the critters out there that keep me entertained by letting me into their world to see how they live and survive every day. In reality, I'm more of a student with the best teachers than I am much of a hunter anymore. It truly was an amazing month amongst the turkeys, and I'm glad you all enjoyed following along with me!

• Like 1

Thanks again everybody!

Any plans for the future of that fine bird?

Well funny you should ask,lol

I'm pretty much "turkey'd out" after eating the first one so this guys still in the freezer for a while.

I'm in the process of attempting my first wing and fan wall display of this guy. Right now his parts are still drying under a coating of Borax. 

I've screwed around with a bunch of fans in the past, but nothing that was ever really worthy of inside display. Most of them ended up hanging in the barn where the rodents made use of the feathers in their nests.

Once I got everything skinned, boned, trimmed, and cut off to my liking, I laid everything out and got them pinned and put up where nothing can get to them.

Next up I need to hunt down some lumber and craft a board to mount them to.

If everything goes according to plan, I'll post a pic of the finished product when it's all done.

DSCN0955_zps3c270cae.jpg

DSCN0961_zpse008c819.jpg

DSCN0960_zpsae5191dc.jpg

• Like 2

Your fan is BEE-YOO-TEE-FULL, Wooly....

I'm sure you'll do something creative with it.

Now let's get back to your shorts...

Do you favor Hanes or Fruit of the Loom ?

I think Paula really wants to know.... << s**t eating GRIN>>....

• Like 1

Ohhhhh, we're past the turkey and on to my shorts again I see?

Well..., I hate to endorse any of my outdoors essentials, but I will give my undies a cheap plug!

You're probably thinking I'm more of a "Bone Collector" scent lock kinda guy, but Ive learned to appreciate a less restrictive pair of shorts for hunting!

You never know when you'll have an encounter with a "giant angry beaver" out there,lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbDQTEqFhgg

Ohhhhh, we're past the turkey and on to my shorts again I see?

Well..., I hate to endorse any of my outdoors essentials, but I will give my undies a cheap plug!

You're probably thinking I'm more of a "Bone Collector" scent lock kinda guy, but Ive learned to appreciate a less restrictive pair of shorts for hunting!

You never know when you'll have an encounter with a "giant angry beaver" out there,lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbDQTEqFhgg

Wooly...You are a man of many talents and one of them is you are a great "straight man"...

I had an encounter with a "giant angry beaver " once myself, down in Tijuana, but it didn't have TEETH, thank goodness....

I can't remember if my SHORTS survived the encounter or not.

I think the TEQUILA may have had something to do with it

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1