What kayak for fishing/deer hunting?

I have a few spots that I have always wanted to hunt but the 3+ mile hike in says no way.If I kayak'd/canoed in I would get within a 1/2 mile.his will be small streams and lakes.I rent kayaks on the moose river in old forge each year and have used canoes also so I am no newb but still don't know what I need for a hunting kayak.I figure a good tandem with a 500lbs+ capacity should do the trick.What Yak would you suggest?Cheaper the better as always!!LOL

I think you are nuts to think of a Kayak for that reason, even a sit on top would be risky. The way I look at is gear weight, your weight, deer weight would be pushing a kayak to its limits. Better off with a 16 foot aluminum canoe that can hold amount 100 lbs more than a tandem yak. I would hit up some local garage sales and see what you can find for an old Aluminum canoe, I got one for a present that only cost $100 with a trolling motor.  I also like how the canoe has a deeper hull, with less risk of getting gear wet or falling off. 

• Like 1

Having canoed all over North America,from the Yukon to the ADK, I would avoid aluminum canoes for many reasons.

You can pick up a little used Old Town on Craig's list for cheap. $1,000 Discovery 169s for $300.

Can't destroy them,quieter,slip off rocks easier,if you some how manage to damage it ,can be repaired on the spot if you carry the kits. Being moulded the widest part is just to the rear of center which means they track much better then aluminum ,which are stamped out just one side then flipped over to match up,meaning widest part is in center .

Unless you plan on processing the deer in the field even a big kayak isn't gonna be stable enough to haul it out. Hard enough with a big canoe. Been there many times, and it's a lot of fun getting into the tough spots with a boat, but the hauling out can be pretty nasty. Not a one-person job in my experience, even with a sturdy canoe and a block&tackle rig. Think about the fact that you will get wet putting a deer carcass into a boat, and pack dry clothing for the trip home. Have fun and good luck, sounds like you have a great spot!

It is when I would have to walk through all the areas that hold the deer in the dark,not to mention a few bedding areas.I found some bedding areas when trout fishing and can slip in almost silent in a canoe/yak.Not to mention I wont sweat my nitz off doing it.You go ahead with your 10 mile trip,its not for me.I know a few guys that love going in super deep and have even helped drag out their kills with them but I would rather paddle in if I can.

Edited by MACHINIST
  • Like 1