Girls youth soccer

First-light

Those of you that have gone through or are going through youth soccer, I have a question.

Do you think it is important to accept an invatation from a team to play up? My daughter was asked to play on the "A" team next year.  

She loves the game and up for the task but is torn leaving her friends and coach behind. I feel she has to go for it, my ex-wife doesn't want her to move up.

An easy decision it is not……any thoughts?

Encourage the move up! If they are asking her it is because they see potential in her skills and want to place her around higher skilled players to see how she does. But remember one thing, to your daughter it might be something she enjoys because her friends are around. Moving up might lose the enjoyment factor because it is people she doesn't know. Ask your daughter and see what she wants being a youth it isn't make or break to a career. 

• Like 1

Tough decision for your daughter to make. If it were me, I would keep her playing locally with her friends, then when high school hits( and I'm assuming she isn't in high school yet) let her play at that level and see where it goes.

Seems like soccer is endless with practices in summer. Kids may want to try something else...but that's just me.

My 10yr. Old boy plays travel baseball 9 months out of the year and I always encourage him to play up and it has made a world of difference in his progress. He's a true 9U division, but plays 10u and plays with some kids that are close to a year older then him. Go for it and don't look back. You also sometimes need to sit back and evaluate to make sure your kid is advanced enough to fit in and not have them get lost and feel overwhelmed if they are not skilled enough. You need to make an honest decision based upon your daughters skills and not what coaches or a league are telling you. Good luck.

If she moves up is she gonna get the playing time she has now?Sometimes they move up and sit out most of the game....When my girl was asked to go up she thought long and hard for a couple of days and ended up staying with her coach and friends..the game is supposed to be fun where is she gonna enjoy her self more...

We had the conversation last night with her. My ex and I were totally onboard to let her make the decision which she did. She amazes me. We told her she was picked to play up. 5 seconds of being happy then it hit her, what about my coach and teammates, how could I leave them. Back and forth the next half hour. It really helped that another close friend was asked to play up also. In the end she decided to take on the challenge and play up. We were proud of her either way! Thanks for all the responses I appreciate that!

• Like 2

Tough day yesterday. In advance we planned an end of the year party for her soccer team at my x's house. It was sad seeing her with her teammates for the last time. The coach gave a speech thanking the girls and then said my daughter was moving up. She cried, it was a hard one but in the end I still think it was the right decision. 

• Like 1