Private Road ?

When a listing says "located on a private road" what does this mean?  Is there a locked gate that only other land owners have keys to? Who is responsable for maintaining the "private" road? Finally have the funds to purchase a small parcel and am trying to get as much info. from people who have done this before. Looking for something primarily in Delaware County. Thanks for your help.

It depends on how it is set up in the deed....usually ...not always .....maintenance is shared by all land owners on the road....at camp it is us in the back and one full time neighbor....they plow to their drive...we are responsible from there to camp...they can not block the road...and major work is a shared expense.... Now in-laws have several ppl...they have meetings and a plow and clean up schedule...vote on major work and divide costs

Private roads are not maintained by your taxes, and maintance and plowing are up to the property owners. It can be good if the road is in good shape more often than not it falls into disrepair as no one want to put money in and if your at the end of the road your out of luck. Stone, ditch and culvert work aren't cheap... they may be gated or non gated roads. IIMO stay away from private roads unless its your own on a right away.

There seems to be quite a bit for sale in Delaware County. Seems like every road I am on has a fair number of "for sale" signs. 

I came across a few "private road" situations over the years. Even when they start out reasonable, they have the potential to turn into big problems. When expensive work needs to be done, people don't always agree. 

As a general rule, I would agree to say to stay away from these situations. It is to a large degree a buyer's market up there. No need to "settle" for a situation which could become a problem.

Also watch for deed restrictions. You would be amazed at some of the restrictions placed on land.

Finally, know if the parcel is in the watershed area. There are pros and cons to that (I actually think it has many advantage). Either way, you should know what that means and how it may impact what you plan to do with the property.

Edited by jrm

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I would avoid this as well as seasonal roads. With private roads unless there is an association it is informal with no way of getting people to pay their share. I avoided a place in this situation in Delaware county where the road was a circle and the guy in the back posted the road. I doubt he had the legal right but why bother? Good luck.

one thing I have found out, is that some post "private road" signs in an effort to keep people from travelling down them, and it seems to work in many cases. That posting in no way totally prohibits travel by the general public, as there are many public access spots that also are on those roads, so don't be afraid to venture down them to access those areas.