Colder and Dryer Winter Predicted

adkbuck

Just for the heck of it I'm adding a little extra logs from standing dead wood to the wood pile.  The best information I have found indicates that the 2014 -2015 winter should be both dryer and colder than usual.  This may impact the mid to late hunting seasons. Several continental long range forecasts I have seen seem to agree based on the predicted location of the jet stream show that the Eastern US will have a colder and dryer than normal season:

http://beforeitsnews.com/weather/2014/08/winter-forecast-for-2014-2015-highlights-2443436.html

This view for a dryer winter is further strengthened for us that live and hunt East and Southeast of the lake by the colder water in lake Ontario.  In addition to the surface water being colder (see below) is the  colder than normal  massive deep water.  This will insure colder surface temperatures with the autumnal mixing that will take place. This should result in less lake effect snow southeast and east of the lake.  Hopefully the colder than normal temperatures will still give us plenty of light tracking snow for the deep woods hunters and the colder temperatures will hopefully give us a stronger than normal rut.  

avgtemps-o_1992-2013.gif

Edited by adkbuck
  • Like 1

Zonal Flow of the jet stream has been NW. to SE. for the better part of 10 months or so now. I would agree that a colder than normal winter is in store, if this pattern holds. The northern branch of the jet stream winds are expected to dip father south earlier. Lows pressure systems are steered by these winds. Clockwise rotation around these lows will make wind directions come from the NE, to the NW right over the non frozen waters of Lake Ontario. Better oil up your shovels, cause friends, we're going to get some good old lake effect snow, this winter. The only way to shut off the lake effect machine is to have cold enough temps. and wind to freeze the lake. Lake Ontario only froze over once since records have been kept, and we sure don't want to see that.

Not sure about that forecast by me,Colder this year that's what I heard also heard plenty of snow.I know we are above the average for the amount of rain this year by us ,so the more snow might be right.Hope not.

Started cutting ,splitting and stacking also.

You can't always believe Forecasts ..............

The Indian Chief thought that it was going to be a bad winter so he sent all the braves out to collect wood. As he watched them return laden with timber from the forest he suddenly felt that he ought to check his forecast so he phoned the local met office.

"Tell me, is it going to be a bad winter?"

"Yes" said the forecaster " it will be a bad one"

So the Chief told the braves that they didn't have enough wood and sent them back into the forest again. They returned with more wood but once again the Chief had doubts and he called the forecaster to confirm.

"It is going to be a really severe winter" replied the forecaster.

The Chief looked at the wood store, decided that more was required and the braves were dispatched back in to forest. The Chief called the forecaster.

"Are you sure it's going to be a really severe winter"

"Look" said the forecaster "its definitely going to be the worst winter on record - the Indians are gathering wood like crazy!""

• Like 2

I was thinking that if the surface water of the Lakes are cooler than normal this will reduce the amount of lake effect.   I am an incurable optimist.  I don't mind the cold as much as the deep snow especially since I make maple syrup. .  I have to admit if the current precipitation trend continues into the cold weather it could be a lot of snow.  Like those Indians in fasteddie's post I am getting more wood.  

• 2 weeks later...

As far as cold, it will be tough to beat what we had in the southerntier last year, as far as back to back years.  I'm 62 years old and in my remembering years, it hasn't happened.  Winters of '77 and '78 while in Western NY, Attica, were 

close, with a ton of snow also.

I've been watching a lot of the 10-day weather forecasts and have noted that in 100% of the cases, a 10-day forecast changes with each subsequent day such that when you get 4 or 5 days into the forecast, not one prediction survives. It is a very talented meteorologist that can accurately predict weather for one day. And here we are reading about forecasts of several months out.