Ever not go hunting cuz you didn’t feel like dealing with the work involved if you do get something ?

Northcountryman

I'm good for 2 or 3 alarm silencers a season and can almost always predict them when I'm going to bed that night. If I have a work trip planned or a busy few days and warm temps I just wont hunt because I don't have the ability to put in the work. 

I will also go into a hunt where doe and mature bucks are on the table and as it gets closer to dark, doe's are then off the table because night tracking and dragging can suck. 

I've also gone in with certain goals and passed because I just wasn't feeling it in the moment. I think that's how everyone should hunt. I hate the mantra that you shouldn't pass on the 1st day what you would be happy to shoot on the last and all that. Shoot what you want, when you want if it's legal and be happy about it.

besides bb's. stop shooting bb's. :rofl:

• Like 2

Not gone, no.  Not shot because of it, lots of times.

It is strange, just today I was thinking about how much I'm looking forward to getting back out with the muzzle loader after christmas. Then moments later dreading the idea of what follows if I shoot something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/13/2022 at 11:11 AM, Five Seasons said:

I'm good for 2 or 3 alarm silencers a season and can almost always predict them when I'm going to bed that night. If I have a work trip planned or a busy few days and warm temps I just wont hunt because I don't have the ability to put in the work. 

I will also go into a hunt where doe and mature bucks are on the table and as it gets closer to dark, doe's are then off the table because night tracking and dragging can suck. 

I've also gone in with certain goals and passed because I just wasn't feeling it in the moment. I think that's how everyone should hunt. I hate the mantra that you shouldn't pass on the 1st day what you would be happy to shoot on the last and all that. Shoot what you want, when you want if it's legal and be happy about it.

besides bb's. stop shooting bb's. :rofl:

I havent in a long time but BB on the grill..mmmm 

Just not getting out of bed, that's a whole separate issue.  I've long said "guilty sleep is the best sleep". Usually the third day of turkey season, secretly being happy to hear it raining, then going back to sleep. (only to wake up about 9AM to bright dry conditions like it never happened. Doh!)

Or saying "nope, screw it" and going back to sleep in deer season. Or worse, going out for like an hour, saying "nope, screw it", going back to camp and back to sleep.  Then as the last days of my trip roll around, being so pissed at myself. "Why do you do this every time!? You wait for this all year, then don't go out in the mornings! Idiot, every time!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky118 said:

3 miles from the car I do it all the time. Especially if it's close to dark. Shot one in my spot and cut it up in the dark and packed it out. Really makes you think when you have one in front of you. How bad do I really want to do this? Lol

Let many a flatheads live another day right at last light but not any hit list bucks. At this time in my hunting career with only taking the very best out properties have to offer every year I may only lay eyes on them one time a whole hunting season. So as in your case…Out comes the boning knife. 

• Like 1