Live From the Stand / Woods 2014!

burmjohn

Well 4th sit has started! 19 deer on 1st 3. They cut a couple hundred acres of beans by me still working other side of woods. This stand has paid off year after year , almost ready to pop in an Atomic fireball !

5:45 busted by a doe......

Edited by Larry302

I had a awesome night.Right about 430 I had a deer downwind of me and started blowing at me.I figured there goes the night but I was in till dark.At 530 I heard a deer walking and after 15-20 seconds I saw a deer making its way towards me from behind a tree.I could tell it was a smaller buck,it keep coming and got withing 10 yards and it was a small basket 8 point.It made a left took 2 steps and made a scrape right next to my stand.Raked the leaves back and pizzed on its hocks and worked the licking branch.There was no scrape where this was and its the first time I have ever seen a deer make a scrape,I've seen a few tend one but never make one.So he started walking away and went over to a sapling and tore up a sapling about the size of shovel handle.After that he must have cuaght my scent or something because he started acting weird.He keep looking around and turning and finally made his way downwind of me where he got my scent and blew at me a few times but he stayed around and never left until right before dark.I waited a few extra mins when it got dark.Awesome night in the woods and hope I dont kick myself in the but for passing him up!!!

Crappy cell pics,sorry

Here he is making the rub

20141010_180704_zpsde148b13.jpeg

Here he is leaving the scrape,the scrape is 10 foot behind him on the edge of the pic

20141010_180610_zps8a16b9a3.jpeg

and here is the rub

20141010_185539_zps609cf575.jpeg

Edited by MACHINIST

God damn nanny doe didn't like somethin.... Wind was good, I didn't move a f'n muscle, and this cu$& stands at 60 +yds n blows for the last 40 minutes of light... I'm killin that ol battle axe next time I see her cause she's got a white patch on her neck that's unmistakeable!!! Pisssed me off somethin awful tonight !!!

• Like 1

God damn nanny doe didn't like somethin.... Wind was good, I didn't move a f'n muscle, and this cu$& stands at 60 +yds n blows for the last 40 minutes of light... I'm killin that ol battle axe next time I see her cause she's got a white patch on her neck that's unmistakeable!!! Pisssed me off somethin awful tonight !!!

Had the same experience last week except I was trying to belly crawl up into what turned out to be a group of 12 Doe

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Haha we've all been there and your post made me laugh.

• Like 2

Walked out with my knifein hand. Saw 2 yotes after getting down in the dark after all that howling and yipping. I don't care who you are, that shit made the hair on my neck stand up good.

Makes me wonder if I had a deer down and they were on it what I would have done.

Got me thinking about putting one of those little air horns in my pack.  For the first time I had a yote run by my stand last year and I have been thinking about it since.  Had never seen one before on my land.

Pitch black and a pack of yotes is a frightening thing. Had it happen to me a few years back on opening day of gun season. Sat until dark and then started my loooong walk out of the mountain. Was walking a creekside trail and had them running on both sides yipping and yapping. No weapon makes you feel good then.

Walked out with my knifein hand. Saw 2 yotes after getting down in the dark after all that howling and yipping. I don't care who you are, that shit made the hair on my neck stand up good.

Makes me wonder if I had a deer down and they were on it what I would have done.

Haha, brings out the animal in ya huh?

I especially love it when I've got my back to some brush/goldenrod while scanning a field and squalling on the distress calls only to hear them creapin around 30' behind me. I've had fire in my eyes a few times thinkin I was gonna have to run through a pack of em snappin necks, but truth be told nothin will make a yote jump out of it's skin faster than coming across a 6'+ man in the dead of night gnashing his teeth & growling.

post script: I also wanted to point out that when one "thinks" they hear a "pack" they are often times only hearing 2 or 3

Edited by PREDATE
  • Like 1

Shoulda lip squeaked em in for a bow ahot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last years or year before ...shot a doe ..good shot but she ran through the woods like a wild fire...I sat until just about dark and went home...decide to let her sit just in case...at midnight I headed back out,,,she zigged and zagged through the woods a bit over a hundred yards ...I have the head lamp on and I'm in the middle of cutting her when I look up...what I see are several sets of glowing eyes looking back at me!I stood up and yelled sorry boys she's mine!...well they all stayed out there but you can bet I looked up a lot until I dragged her a good distance from that gut pile!

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

And that ladies and gentlemen is how a hunt is over before it begins. Super quiet. Kick one up walking in but no big deal. Still had a ways to walk. It's about 5:45. Finally get to my tree. Climb up it and get everything settled in. 6:25 roles around and I hear a deer coming through the woods. It's trotting along at an even clip. Definitely a buck from how it's walking. Knew there was no way I was going to get him to stick around. 5 mins after him it's still to dark and I hear another deer coming in. This one is taking its time eating. Still 20+ mins from shooting light. It's right under my tree. I can hear the crunch as it munches acorns. 10 mins goes by as it hangs out under my tree. Must have caught my sent from when I was on the ground. Half blow then 1 bound and stops. Hangs out for 5 more. Still dark but getting lighter. Finally starts to circle behind me down wind. At first light gets my scent. Blows like holy hell 4 times then is gone. Yup the next doe I see regardless of size gets wacked.

Saw 5 crossing the road on the drive in about a mile away. Had 2 at my stand when I walked in. Didn't see what they were. It's raining acorns here, hard. First shot was at day break and just heard 2 in the distance. I drank too much coffee this am I'm jittery.