Cover Scents

Hunt25

Ok, I have a question for those who use cover scents. For the last few weeks, I have been getting pictures of a family of raccoons on my trails cams,  and not just in the same area. I am wondering if raccoon urine may be an alternative for a cover scent. I have never used anything but plain doe urine. Just a little hesitant on trying this out.

Any thoughts?????

Food scents? Heard of spraying apple juice around as a food scent. Is that what your talking about? I was talking about doe urine, not in estrous. Although food scent does add an element as there were apples on the trees last week, but that is almost 200 yds away.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2012/08/get-rid-any-odor-baking-soda

Dr James Kroll a whitetail researcher  35+ yrs  says this of cover scent

“All the scent-killer products help, but the best I’ve ever used is skunk scent. Skunk scent works by totally overpowering every other smell. The main thing is to stay downwind of the deer.”

I will think twice about passing up that road kill skunk !!

Edited by mjac

Only use food scents in early season. Dont use deer smells till late october and the rut. The bucks arent dumb, they know when its too early to be smelling does in heat. As for the raccoon, I wouldnt bother myself. Shower and keep clothes scent free.

Agreed. I try to keep as scent free as possible and then for good measure I hang a earth scent wafer off my stand.

"All your hobbies are money pits"

- Wife

There's no such thing as a cover scent for human odor.... PERIOD!

If you think you're invisible to a deers nose by adding another flavor to the air you may be mistaken.

If your deer can smells your "cover scent", it can smell YOU too!

IMO, scents work best around stands when used as a distraction instead of an attraction.

Strategically placed on the upwind side of your stand can offer a golden opportunity for you to get away with some things while a deer is pre-occupied with your "scent trap".

ANY scents IMO, when used properly, should be classified as curiosity scents instead of attractants, or lures. I think this is where scent makers make their killing by labeling them as attractants whether they are food or urine based. Use your scents wisely to stop deer where you want them for the shot opportunity, not draw them in from the next property over.

That ain't happenin'!

• Like 4

I buy a fresh bottle every year. Coon urine in a tree stand. Fox urine on the ground. Also after I wash my clothes I throw 2 dirt wafers from hs strut in my duffle bag and then put some ever calm on bottom of my boots in deer woods walking to stand. Last year had a spike follow my trail.