Quick banking Question

Lawdwaz

I have a young gal here from Italy, she needs to get cash from an ATM with her debit Master Card.  Is there an advantage to go to  one machine over another? 

M&T or First Niagara?  Drug store?

I haven't a clue in this stuff...........................

Thanks

She'll get tapped for a transaction fee on her banks end that'll show up on the monthly statement IF it works the way it does when I have used mine overseas. Combination of exchange rate and a set fee.

Foreign transaction fee is in all that paperwork when you open an account.

I always contact bank that issues my end letting them know I'm traveling as sometimes cards don't always go through and can get locked out.

But I'm thinking US is low risk and should be OK.

She'll get tapped for a transaction fee on her banks end that'll show up on the monthly statement IF it works the way it does when I have used mine overseas. Combination of exchange rate and a set fee.

Foreign transaction fee is in all that paperwork when you open an account.

I always contact bank that issues my end letting them know I'm traveling as sometimes cards don't always go through and can get locked out.

But I'm thinking US is low risk and should be OK.

OK, good.  So just going to M&T or First Niagara should be trouble free??

She is aware of the fee's so that isn't an issue.  I was just wondering if a bank's ATM was better than a drug store, probably the bank will be better.

Thanks.........

No way to avoid a fee but yeah stick with an actual bank atm. Keep an eye out for skimming devices. Thieves' will put a device over where you insert your card. Just grab the piece where you insert your card to make sure it doesn't move before you slide your card in. These things usually will happen over the weekend.

I'd be guessing Larry she'd be better off at a large bank rather than one of those corner store machines just so the card is being used at a larger financial institution.

I think it would raise less possible red flags for fraud on her banks computer end.

I sent them to Bank Of America since they are even bigger than M&T and First Niagara.  Should be cool as a cucumber.........:)

Stick with a bank. Not sure if a big one is better, but that's how I would go.

You say she is aware of the foreign transaction fee. Exchange rate also applies.

The corner drug store ATM usually has a fee which is over and above any bank fees. Best to stay away from those whether domestic or foreign.