Fighting a Losing Battle

As occupied as I am I still try to keep an eye on the push for more gun control. I recently reached out to Gillibrand and Schumer voicing my opinions and concerns after their recent announcement of plans to expand background checks. I also inquired what if anything was being proposed to address the issue of crimes being committed with illegal guns by and illegal possession under the current laws.

Gillibrand has not responded. This is my response from Shumer. They just don't get it.:nono:

Dear Mr. 

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control legislation. Like you, I believe the right to bear arms is guaranteed by the Constitution's Second Amendment.

While I respect the Second Amendment to the Constitution, I believe that we have a collective interest in keeping guns out of the hands of those who want to harm the innocent. I believe it is possible to strike a reasonable balance.

I have long advocated for faster and more accurate background checks so legal purchasers can receive their guns quickly while ensuring criminals do not illegally purchase and possess firearms. After the tragedy at Virginia Tech in 2007, I took a leading role in passing the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Improvement Amendments Act through the Senate. This legislation, supported by the National Rifle Association, authorizes funds for states to compile required background data into the shared NICS database. Ensuring that this information is comprehensive and up to date will better prevent criminals from illegally purchasing and possessing firearms.

I have also fought to create new opportunities for law abiding citizens to exercise their right to use guns. That includes working to expand hunting grounds in NYS by creating a financial incentive to allow private landowners to allow hunters to access their property.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please keep in touch with your thoughts and opinions.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer

United States Senator Please do not respond to this email. To send another message please visit my website at https://www.schumer.senate.gov/contact/email-chuck . Thank you.

blank.gif&id=0010CORR8686739119D9FB11852580C7006D2FA0AA2B05A0F4A30E6B852586A2000ADCB6

• Like 1

No they don’t. Still undecided on the background checks. It is foolish to require one for family and friend transfers. But I know an individual who would not pass an NICS background check. He bought a gun online and used it in a crime. He’s back in jail. If you can’t pass a background check at a licensed dealer you shouldn’t be able to buy one from someone online.  Or from a place like this where someone is selling a firearm 

Universal background checks present two problems. 

One: It requires info on the specific gun transferred to be recorder.  The current NICS check does not.  Collecting all the gun info creates a gun registry.  That's something the govt is explicitly prohibited from doing.

Second:  It allows the govt to add all sorts of reasons to deny you the right to buy a gun and fail you with a background check.  A "Red Flag" accusation that's revoked could stop you, or a DUI, false arrest, mistaken identity by someone with the same name or similar name, a court approved exoneration of a conviction the local prosecutors office fails to remove from FBI records, your gun hating Dr. claims you are physically unable to shoot a firearm safely, etc., etc.  Many of these things already happen to violate a person's gun owning civil rights.  Anti-gun politicians are just chomping at the bit to start adding more ways to fail you during a background check.  Forcing everyone through a NICS check for ANY gun purchase, or even ammo now, as we see about to happen in NY, literally turns your Constitutional right into a government granted "privilege".  When you really look into UBC's, you can see far more danger than any increase in safety that is promised.

People rarely give up their freedoms without buying into some form of deception.  UBC's are a deception.

• Like 1

No they don’t. Still undecided on the background checks. It is foolish to require one for family and friend transfers. But I know an individual who would not pass an NICS background check. He bought a gun online and used it in a crime. He’s back in jail. If you can’t pass a background check at a licensed dealer you shouldn’t be able to buy one from someone online.  Or from a place like this where someone is selling a firearm 

I assume he bought it online from a private individual online and not an FFL?

Terrible that it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, boo711 said:

From where online?

13 hours ago, escpen said:

Illegal in NY, yes.  How about other states?

A NY resident is barred from doing a private transfer with anyone, even a resident of another state.  Other states may allow their citizens to do private transfers with other citizens of their state, but NY makes it illegal for a NY resident to do a private transfer with anyone, anywhere.