Vertical crossbow

Just Lucky

I watched a video on you tube of a vertical crossbow, and the advantages over a horizontal one. I also looked for  availability, but doesn't seem like there is much. I looked on dec about regulations and it appears they would be legal.

Has anyone ever seen, or used one? And what are your thoughts on them.

11 hours ago, Just Lucky said:

I watched a video on you tube of a vertical crossbow, and the advantages over a horizontal one. I also looked for  availability, but doesn't seem like there is much. I looked on dec about regulations and it appears they would be legal.

Has anyone ever seen, or used one? And what are your thoughts on them.

https://verticalcrossbow.com/crossbow-vertical/

21 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Wow , Doc , a lot of videos on that link . Thanks ........

Yes, they are manufacturers and sales people for these contraptions, with just about every question about them answered somewhere on their website.

I suspect that they would be legal in NYS as a crossbow, even though they look funny. But here is the question: I'll bet that just about everyone has gotten a "string-burn" on the inside of their bow arm from their bow at one time or another. What do you suppose that "string-burn" would be like on a bow that has 150 pounds or more of string tension? OUCH!!!!! Damn.........Make sure that elbow is turned out.

I really don't like the idea of a crossbow string ripping by that close to my arm, but they do have an impressive list of advantages over a horizontal crossbow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

But here is the question: I'll bet that just about everyone has gotten a "string-burn" on the inside of their bow arm from their bow at one time or another. What do you suppose that "string-burn" would be like on a bow that has 150 pounds or more of string tension? OUCH!!!!! Damn.........Make sure that elbow is turned out.

Thanks for the unpleasant memory of my first PSE bow (I think it had plastic coated steel cables) Except the burn was more like a hard slap - OUCH!!!! is right. 60# was bad, but you are right, 150# is something no one should ever mess with.

7 hours ago, airedale said:

Never knew these things existed, talk about a contraption:umnik:

Al

I haven't seen one for sale in decades, though that doesn't mean much, I've been out of the loop. Also at one time you could buy a contraption that turned your bow into a "crossbow" of sorts, in that it locked back and had a trigger mechanism. Probably wasn't legal in too many places at the time. 

Edited by cas

1 hour ago, cas said:

I haven't seen one for sale in decades, though that doesn't mean much, I've been out of the loop. Also at one time you could buy a contraption that turned your bow into a "crossbow" of sorts, in that it locked back and had a trigger mechanism. Probably wasn't legal in too many places at the time. 

It is called a draw-loc and its for anyone with a medical condition that can't pull a bow back. You can apply for a modified archery permit in NY State and use a draw-loc. I have used it and i found it rather awkward.