Furthering Hunting’s Cultural Acceptance

Grouse

While the Council to Advance Hunting and the Shooting Sports reported that hunting-license sales in 2020 jumped 5% over 2019, hunter participation has now returned to pre-pandemic levels. And a recent study by the national outdoor survey research firm Responsive Management shows that public acceptance of hunting has decreased in all nine categories measured—including for the purposes of wildlife management, protection of property and obtaining locally sourced food.

https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/content/furthering-hunting-s-cultural-acceptance/?utm_source=newsletter

I’m sitting here wondering just how many people are out there  have just weighed the risk/benefit or cost benefit profile, and decided the aggravation and costs involved in purchasing firearms and ammunition is simply just not worth it to them. 

The left I think may be winning as the rank and file, and would be firearms enthusiasts and hunters just say F-it. 

This has much further reaching consequences in my opinion than hunting and shooting sports.  

Forgive my tying, spelling and grammar if it’s messed up. Trying to share my thoughts here as quickly as possible to get back to work. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

I’m sitting here wondering just how many people are out there  have just weighed the risk/benefit or cost benefit profile, and decided the aggravation and costs involved in purchasing firearms and ammunition is simply just not worth it to them. 

The left I think may be winning as the rank and file, and would be firearms enthusiasts and hunters just say F-it. 

This has much further reaching consequences in my opinion than hunting and shooting sports.  

Forgive my tying, spelling and grammar if it’s messed up. Trying to share my thoughts here as quickly as possible to get back to work. 

I think you make perfect sense. I would love to shoot more often but the price of ammo is through the roof. It's sad and to think what we might endure in the future does not look good.   

6 minutes ago, airedale said:

I grew up in a time where most of the guys I knew all hunted, today it is hard to find folks that hunt for a whole lot of reasons.

Al

We tyry to keep the young ones interested. This year in my area we have 3 youth hunters. More TK. I feel it's how us old timers feel and we just can't change the course of time. We do our best but for me we have 2-4 youth hunters in the next 10 years, thats not good. There is only so much we can do. 

Cultural acceptance requires cultural relevance. Encourage young people and anyone who wants to tag along. Of course. But young people are only part of our future. 

Language and vocabulary are cornerstones of culture. Equating our past hunting experiences to today's language is crucial. As more people equate organic protein, free range and humanely harvested food with hunting, our culture will survive. Changed a little, but that's what cultures do. 

• Like 2

The world is a changing place, and our American culture has been changing right along with everything else. And hunting participation is yet another thing that is slowly moving out of existence. It is sad, but it is also getting very obvious.  The actual numbers get all mucked up with the counting of licenses, and the tracking of total money spent on hunting supplies, but no one is out there assessing actual participation. As one who has been observing hunting activity for more years than I care to admit, I have taken note of how it was versus how it is, and that is the only indicator that I trust.

42 minutes ago, First-light said:

I wonder with the amount of Doe permits given out is it deer over population or hunter underpopulation?

Probably some of both, one thing for sure permits handouts are sure different these days. When I was a kid we had to have four hunters assigned to one permit, and the only one that could make a kill was the hunter in that group who had the permit on their person.

This year I have five tags that I can use just for myself.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2