Hunter shot opening morning in Savanna ?

luberhill

It was near the corners of Cotten Rd and rt 89 in Savannah on the piece of state land there. Our lease is 3 miles away, shortly after light I heard the fire whistle blowing and assumed something hunting related had happened. I too am curious about the details. All I know is the man died, I believe he was 42.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk

Still no new details on the shooting. I am curious about the actual time that the shooting occurred to see how it may have related to the new hunting hours.

One account said, "The Wayne County Sheriff's Office said it responded at about 7 a.m. to a report that a hunter had been shot in Savannah, just west of Cayuga County." 

So, depending on how many minutes it took to get to the body, and then report the incident to the police, and then the time it took the police to respond, the actual time of the shooting could have been earlier that the old legal hunting time. It will be interesting to see if that was a contributing factor.

But I'm not sure that there will ever be more details reported in the news. 

Still no new details on the shooting. I am curious about the actual time that the shooting occurred to see how it may have related to the new hunting hours.
One account said, "The Wayne County Sheriff's Office said it responded at about 7 a.m. to a report that a hunter had been shot in Savannah, just west of Cayuga County." 
So, depending on how many minutes it took to get to the body, and then report the incident to the police, and then the time it took the police to respond, the actual time of the shooting could have been earlier that the old legal hunting time. It will be interesting to see if that was a contributing factor.
But I'm not sure that there will ever be more details reported in the news. 
I heard the fire whistles going off right around 7AM. I'd assume it happened at very first light or thereabouts. People who shoot at another person aren't considering the shooting hours anyhow, if that's what in fact happened, I'm speculating. My buddy texted me pretty early on and told me about it before I could find anything online about it. I too would like to know exactly what happened.

22 hours ago, chrisw said:

I heard the fire whistles going off right around 7AM. I'd assume it happened at very first light or thereabouts. People who shoot at another person aren't considering the shooting hours anyhow, if that's what in fact happened, I'm speculating. My buddy texted me pretty early on and told me about it before I could find anything online about it. I too would like to know exactly what happened.

Well, I have no idea the actual time of events, or even what really happened, but I would imagine that there was some amount of time between when the shooter pulled the trigger and the time when any phone calls were placed. And then there is some time delay from when the call was placed to the sheriff's office and when the fire whistles went off. How much time that was is still not reported in the news and probably never will be. The old hunting hours on the 18th was at 7:03, so I suspect that if fire whistle went off at 7:00, the shot was likely taken during that 1/2 hour before sunrise.

Like I say, it is all a lot of guesswork on my part, but everyone is talking about when emergency activities took place, not when the trigger was pulled which is what I am curious about. Of course that may never become public knowledge, but I'm just saying that it would be interesting to know.

• 2 weeks later...

When the media reports on a story like this, they just can't wait to bury it and move on to the next story without finishing the first. The same brief report is repeated over and over across the internet......Word for word. And they all end up with "an investigation is ongoing". I guess we will never know the actual details of exactly when and how the man came to be shot. Was it self-inflicted, is anyone being charged.....All kinds of unanswered questions that will never be made public.

Generally, all hunting accidents involving firearms or bows are investigated by DEC. Periodically, (I believe at the end of the year or lscense year) they are put out as a report and there usually a press release. ECO's and the hunter education folk are involved. I think I remember tree stand accidents are also being tallied.

• Like 1