We don't do "gender studies"

Enigma

This past summer my oldest told me in conversation he thought he could graduate college a semester early and be done. 3.5 yrs rather than 4. Apparently those college level classes he took in high school were going to pay off. Well he called me yesterday and told me he was indeed done with school and was strictly focused on his career now. He earned a BS in Finance and Financial planning. My man!

From the day he turned 16 he's had a job lined up and I don't think he's ever quit. He washed cars, washed dishes, made burgers at McDonald's, did retail and even humped concrete for two summers on a crew. Last January he did an internship at a financial services company in Rochester. A couple months later they offered him a formal contract to work for them. He's been working 30hrs a week at the firm this last semester in addition to the school work. Gratified and happy for him. Hard work = success. 

Edited by Enigma
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Enigma said:

This past summer my oldest told me in conversation he thought he could graduate college a semester early and be done. 3.5 yrs rather than 4. Apparently those college level classes he took in high school were going to pay off. Well he called me yesterday and told me he was indeed done with school and was strictly focused on his career now. He earned a BS in Finance and Financial planning. My man!

From the day he turned 16 he's had a job lined up and I don't think he's ever quit. He washed cars, washed dishes, made burgers at McDonald's, did retail and even humped concrete for two summers on a crew. Last January he did an internship at a financial services company in Rochester. A couple months later they offered him a formal contract to work for them. He's been working 30hrs a week at the firm this last semester in addition to the school work. Gratified and happy for him. Hard work = success. 

Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

Way To Go Big E !  Sounds like he loves what he is doing . When you love what you do , you are never going to work !

This seems to be a going thing about success stories with kids that enjoy being outdoors with us . They become winners in the game of life . Congrats for bringing up another winner !

• Thanks 1

I appreciate all of the kind sentiments and I'm sure my son would as well. But the work's not done lol. Son #2 is a sophomore at Albany. We'll see how he turns out in a couple years. He's off to a good start.

A quote that was introduced to me years ago. I remind my sons of it when they need it. Perhaps you know someone who could use it as well.

“Tentative efforts lead to tentative outcomes. Therefore, give yourself fully to your endeavors. Decide to construct your character through excellent actions and determine to pay the price of a worthy goal. The trials you encounter will introduce you to your strengths. Remain steadfast...and one day you will build something that endures: something worthy of your potential.”

― Epictetus

Thanks again.

Edited by Enigma
  • Like 2

That’s fantastic! My oldest graduates this summer. He’s really into politics. He will be going to the University of Tampa to study political science. He loathes democratic idiots. Just maybe he can make a difference in the world along with your boy!

• Like 2