Question For FSW

Lawdwaz

On 1/26/2024 at 11:32 AM, grampy said:

It's ALL just hunting! 

From the hunter who just wants to put any deer in their freezer. To one that passes multiple bucks, looking for "the one" or anything in between. We are all individuals. With different asperations and goals. Different priorities, and amounts of time, that can be given to hunting. One should never feel superior, or lesser, because of what they choose to hunt!! And one should NEVER as a sportsman, put themselves above, anyone else because of how they choose to hunt!! It's as simple as that. It does not have to be a big argument. Or a condemnation of others, because they hunt a different way, or hold a different view.

I stayed out of the thread that was closed. I don't want to start pointing fingers here either. But it was closed because of one person. The detriment of that thread was not the thread itself. But someone with a bigger opinion of themself than the opinion of those participating in that thread. 

I didn’t even see the thread but I know who u are talking about 

Looks like we got one guy here that hunts 99 % for big antlers and 1 % for meat.   On the opposite end is me and I hunt 99 % for meat and 1 % for big antlers.   Most everyone else has some other primary driver(s) and/or is somewhere in the middle on those two.  The math seems pretty easy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Looks like we got one guy here that hunts 99 % for big antlers and 1 % for meat.   On the opposite end is me and I hunt 99 % for meat and 1 % for big antlers.   Most everyone else has some other primary driver(s) and/or is somewhere in the middle on those two.  The math seems pretty easy. 

So now you think someone that hunts for the top of the class does not get meat?  Do you think by someone not filling their buck tags on smaller whitetail bucks does not have a half dozen other tags they can use on any givin day to fill their freezer?  Filling tags is not a real tough problem. 

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

So now you think someone that hunts for the top of the class does not get meat?  Do you think by someone not filling their buck tags on smaller whitetail bucks does not have a half dozen other tags they can use on any givin day to fill their freezer?  Filling tags is not a real tough problem. 

Hummm I see people on here all the time saying “ tag soup again “ and saying they never saw a deer all season..

So “ filling tags “ for some is a tough problem 

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

Hummm I see people on here all the time saying “ tag soup again “ and saying they never saw a deer all season..

So “ filling tags “ for some is a tough problem 

Filling all 6-8 maybe. Can’t believe I saw one that said they didn’t get any without having their chances and blowing it or passing them up first time or two around. And in this day and age and heavy deer population state there is few excuses of not going where there are more animals. 

I know lots of guys who hunt hard on public land but don't take a deer. Those of us who are privileged enough to have multiple opportunities per season need to appreciate our bounty. Not everyone has that!

That having been said, I lean toward FSW's approach. I tend to survey the herd on our properties, rank the top three target bucks, and pass on anything else - at least early in the season. I'm not fanatical about it, so as the fall progresses, I'm more likely to take a sub-dominant buck if the perfect opportunity presents. 

I'm in it for the experience...and tagging out always leaves me with an awkward bitter taste in my mouth, particularly if it's before the peak of the rut. I've shot some nice bucks early and while I don't regret taking those shots, the remainder of those seasons was a letdown. Overall, I really enjoy the seasons where the hunt lasts right up until the fat lady sings. And yes, that means I eat tag soup sometimes. 

On the other hand, I don't tell my friends who hunt with me what to shoot. Their hunt, their choice. The only rule is if they tag their buck, then they're out of the game during the rut. We shoot lots of doe, but not during peak breeding. Recovering a doe can bust up a property for days, and there may only be days out of the year when that big buck is killable. This does not apply to kids, however, and there are areas where folks can hunt doe without trashing the main rutting arena, so it's a soft rule.

In other words, I respect everyone's choices, but adhere to my own standards. In terms of doe, I have a group of students who love venison, and so late season is management hunting for doe - managing to fill my trainees' freezers!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, knehrke said:

I know lots of guys who hunt hard on public land but don't take a deer. Those of us who are privileged enough to have multiple opportunities per season need to appreciate our bounty. Not everyone has that!

That having been said, I lean toward FSW's approach. I tend to survey the herd on our properties, rank the top three target bucks, and pass on anything else - at least early in the season. I'm not fanatical about it, so as the fall progresses, I'm more likely to take a sub-dominant buck if the perfect opportunity presents. 

I'm in it for the experience...and tagging out always leaves me with an awkward bitter taste in my mouth, particularly if it's before the peak of the rut. I've shot some nice bucks early and while I don't regret taking those shots, the remainder of those seasons was a letdown. Overall, I really enjoy the seasons where the hunt lasts right up until the fat lady sings. And yes, that means I eat tag soup sometimes. 

On the other hand, I don't tell my friends who hunt with me what to shoot. Their hunt, their choice. The only rule is if they tag their buck, then they're out of the game during the rut. We shoot lots of doe, but not during peak breeding. Recovering a doe can bust up a property for days, and there may only be days out of the year when that big buck is killable. This does not apply to kids, however, and there are areas where folks can hunt doe without trashing the main rutting arena, so it's a soft rule.

In other words, I respect everyone's choices, but adhere to my own standards. In terms of doe, I have a group of students who love venison, and so late season is management hunting for doe - managing to fill my trainees' freezers!

Exactly. I have 1000 acres of land out my back door of good hunting yet I travel 3 hours to hunt great state land. There are plenty of deer to be had for free with a little effort. When it comes to bucks I have two tags and they will carry something really mature or something 120’ or better. I have no problem not filling my buck tags when I have 4-6 doe tags that can be used. And it does not hurt the hunting area letting 15-20 smaller bucks walk every season. A smart hunter does not Ruin his buck hunting chances during the special time of year by stinking up their land harvesting does. All the late seasons we have in this state works fine for that. 

9 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Exactly. I have 1000 acres of land out my back door of good hunting yet I travel 3 hours to hunt great state land. There are plenty of deer to be had for free with a little effort. When it comes to bucks I have two tags and they will carry something really mature or something 120’ or better. I have no problem not filling my buck tags when I have 4-6 doe tags that can be used. And it does not hurt the hunting area letting 15-20 smaller bucks walk every season. A smart hunter does not Ruin his buck hunting chances during the special time of year by stinking up their land harvesting does. All the late seasons we have in this state works fine for that. 

The only. thing I don't agree with is your comment "little effort" other than that all good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, First-light said:

The only. thing I don't agree with is your comment "little effort" other than that all good. 

The state land I hunt does not take much effort to kill just any deer. Massive effort to kill a top one. You can sit in a stand where you can see your truck and kill a deer. 

• Like 1