Live From The Woods 2024-2025 Edition

Nice afternoon in woods. Had a single doe come in around 6:20 behind me. She ran off after a bit. About 20 minutes later a big doe came in with a fawn. They stayed just out of range right in front of me. It got dark and when I got down they spooked and she blew a few times. That was unfortunate. Great to be back in the woods and having that first deer come in!!

Edited by First-light
  • Like 4

I went out yesterday evening, neighbor kids were rippin atvs and dirbikes behind me about 75-100 yards. These deer don’t care where I was hunting , had 3 doe come out right from where they were riding at 6:15 action like nothing was going on.m walking right under me, passed. Also saw three hens which I havnt seen turkeys in a couple years in this spot, excited about that. 

• Like 2

I had 7 turkeys come off the hill and walked across our yard. Quite spectacular since we usually don't have a large population of turkeys here. I have not seen a lot of deer yet. Of course with all the leaves still on, it's not easy to see much of anything.

• Like 2

I should of left sooner also. Deer were in the food plot and cut me off to my bottom stands. All turned out well and had 2 adult and 4 fawns come by. Great hunt and saw 6 in the field on my way out! They are crunching the acorns!

IMG_6135.jpeg

IMG_6138.jpeg

• Like 5

Prop owner mowed right under me till 6:15, like clock work he shut the mower off and here they came, doe, button, and doe fawn, shot right under her misjudged the distance, forgot range finger. They had no clue what happened and kept feeding. They’ll be back. 

• Like 3

I will be heading to Geneseo in another hour . Right now I have a headache and a pain in my back . I hope the back pain isn't the kidney stone acting up . Two of my sons and a grandson will be hunting the property with me . I just hope the deer won't be hiding in the corn all day ! 

• Like 1

Pretty good morning, went south of the border. Saw deer every hour almost on the hour. Left at 10 and they were still up but have some stuff to do. Might go out in the evening. I hope my son can get this lil guy with a jacked up right side. Coulda shot all the doe within 25 yards eating apples. 7 doe/fawns 1 lil buck

IMG_1094.jpeg

IMG_1096.jpeg

IMG_1100.jpeg

IMG_1098.jpeg

• Like 2

Hunted today. This morning I got busted getting down from the stand. This afternoon was great saw 9 Doe and 2 Buck. 2 Buck were a 6 and 4 pt. Doe and fawn come in. Fawn is eating acorns doe is wondering away. She gets 100 yards in front of the fawn. Fawn still eating acorns not even looking in her direction. Doe leaves now here come two buck. They walk up to the fawn and follow the path the Doe took. The fawn followed the bucks back to her mother. It was interesting. I also peed off the stand with a deer 30 yards from me. She looked my way heard the sound but was not alarmed. It was a great night until another Doe and fawn came in. Mom wasn't happy and started blowing. Never heard a deer blow so much. I was half way up the hill and she was still at it.  Going to give that stand a rest..lol

• Like 2

Evening sit in 7s Saw a spike, 2 doe and 4 fawns. On my way outa there was 20 doe/fawns in the neighbors yards. Never seen this many fawns as this year. Ever doe has 2-3 it seems. Really need to thin some doe out, youth hunters gonna help out sat hopefully. 

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1

Need some help from my fellow bow hunters. 
Thursday night I got a 26 yard broadside shot on my target buck. The shot felt and looked perfect. He took off and I watched him run across an open field with his front leg not working and it appeared to be blood covered already. I calmed down for 10 mins and expected to see him piled up in the field. To my surprise, he was not. So I went to the shot site and could not find a drop of blood whatsoever. About 10 foot from the shot site I recovered my arrow which was broken off approx 2-3” above the fixed blade broadhead with blood up the shaft another 5-6 inches.  I backed out, went to the house and got lights and my 4 wheeler and searched for an hour. Never bumped the deer and never found an oz of blood. So i backed out and had 2 very seasoned hunters come help me grid search for 2 hours where we covered a ton of ground. 
I shoot 70lbs and only use fixed blades. I felt like that should have gone through the shoulder at least enough to hit 1 lung.   The shot was apparently a bit forward but I thought for sure it was fatal. 
what are y’all’s thoughts based on your experiences?

1 minute ago, ryanrobb52 said:

Thursday night I got a 26 yard broadside shot on my target buck. The shot felt and looked perfect. He took off and I watched him run across an open field with his front leg not working and it appeared to be blood covered already. I calmed down for 10 mins and expected to see him piled up in the field. To my surprise, he was not. So I went to the shot site and could not find a drop of blood whatsoever. About 10 foot from the shot site I recovered my arrow which was broken off approx 2-3” above the fixed blade broadhead with blood up the shaft another 5-6 inches.  I backed out, went to the house and got lights and my 4 wheeler and searched for an hour. Never bumped the deer and never found an oz of blood. So i backed out and had 2 very seasoned hunters come help me grid search for 2 hours where we covered a ton of ground. 
I shoot 70lbs and only use fixed blades. I felt like that should have gone through the shoulder at least enough to hit 1 lung.   The shot was apparently a bit forward but I thought for sure it was fatal. 

I’d find a dog, 5-6” can be fatal or one lung and can go along way. Grid searching might have messed that up. But 1 lung pushing him with a dog is the best option 

1 hour ago, ryanrobb52 said:

I had this situation on a big bodied buck a few years ago. Was about 15 yards out but walking fast following a Doe. I let him pass for a quartering away shot. I hit him a bit high and forward. Found the arrow in the same shape yours was in. He was running fine though and continued running after that Doe. Did not find blood and looked for two days. My thoughts you had a good hit but bone got in the way. You broke the shoulder but he still can move pretty good. Buck I shot at gun season had three working legs. They can get around. Hey did you guys look high on the golden rod or just on the ground? I agree with Hockey try the dog route. It's a horrible feeling especially on a target buck. Good luck oh always look for crows later in the day or a few days after. I have found deer this way. Meat is no good but you might find him.