thinking of updating my muzzleloader

loworange88

As the title states I am thinking of updating my 1st generation CVA Optima(blued with black synthetics), to a newer model in stainless steel with the new quick release breech plug system.  I am torn though if I should stick with the Optima model or go with a Wolf, both are offered in Stainless steel and both have the new breech plug design.  Should I move forward with this, I would sell or trade my current muzzleloader and put it towards the new one.

Any input would be appreciated.

I am in no hurry to do this, just started to mull the idea around.

Thanks.

I just bought the wolf and shot for first time this past weekend.. scoped with 3x9 on it...shoots awsome sending 5 in groups of as many as I want at 125 yrs after just a few rounds....easy to load clean and prime/deprime...i love it comfortable lightweight and easy to shoulder I'd recommend it in a heart beat

• 3 weeks later...

LHR Redemption with a 2-7 Leupold Ultimate Slam, shoots 2.5 inch groups off the bench at 200 yards with Blackhorn 209 powder (volumetric 100 measure) and 250g Shockwaves. Oh and that is from their carbine (20 inch barrel) model.

It's the last MZ I will ever buy....

Edited by RickF

Any one of these would be an upgrade.  Just because you jam the bullet down the barrel with a stick, doesn't mean it's a real muzzle loader. 

attachicon.gifMuzzleloaders.jpg

I'm into modern technology, but thanks for the pic.  Good looking Muzzleloaders though.  Using your logic on real and fake is a bit flawed I think...Lets make an analogy,

take fake breasts for example....if you can see them, and possibly get a feel on them, then they are real enough. HA!

• Like 1

Yeah but in these modern times, they may be on the chest of what used to be a man!  Modern technology is real scary.  LOL!

BTW, I finished and built all 3 of those myself.  Not the barrels or locks though. That's also part of the tradition.

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 3

Any one of these would be an upgrade.  Just because you jam the bullet down the barrel with a stick, doesn't mean it's a real muzzle loader. 

attachicon.gifMuzzleloaders.jpg

I've shot deer with conical bullets out of a .50 cal TC Hawken.

12ga foster slugs

140gr .284 bullets

180gr .323 bullets

200gr .323 bullets

and 243gr .535 round balls over 120gr of FFg.

By far, some of the most stupendous knock 'em flat results were from the .535 RBs.

I once had one flip completly over backwards onto it's back when shot quartering on at close range. then one were I hit square through the shoulder blades & spine with the 25 cent piece sized flattened ball lodged just under the hide on the off side. Her hide had a football sized split on the offside hind quarter.

Although a large RB sheds velocity quickly, it also sheds energy into the animal quickly & on a solid hit it kills all out of proportion to what it says on paper.

At 150yds it will still easily pass through any Whitetail on a broadside shot that doesn't encounter a large mass of bone. If it does encounter a large mass of bone the deer is going to drop in its tarcks.

I'm into modern technology, but thanks for the pic.  Good looking Muzzleloaders though.  Using your logic on real and fake is a bit flawed I think...Lets make an analogy,

take fake breasts for example....if you can see them, and possibly get a feel on them, then they are real enough. HA!

Fake boobs don't feel the same as the real thing and most of them look like they are over-inflated by 50psi. Pamela Anderson looked a helluva lot better when she had natural C" cups.

Pitty the man that has never had natural Cs or Ds hanging in his face.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 2

Fake boobs don't feel the same as the real thing and most of them look like they are over-inflated by 50psi. Pamela Anderson looked a helluva lot better when she had natural C" cups.

Pitty the man that has never had natural Cs or Ds hanging in his face.

I'll PM you my address. You owe me a new phone. I just spit coffee all over mine with that one. Perfect!!!