Dear members of the orange army

Short Track Hunter

Always be sure of the target and what's behind it. Sounds like a nice slogan for a poster doesn't it? Well, unless you are shooting in a gravel pit or a earthen backstopped shooting range, I defy anyone to swear that there isn't some fool in full camo leaned up against a tree 100 yards behind that deer in the average woods.

Well, you'll see me, even if all of me is not visible. You'll catch that flash of orange. I'm not trying to hide from you. I'm not doing my best to blend into the background.

• Like 1

Hikers need to keep their dogs on leash.  Saw one guy turn his labs loose 2nd weekend of deer season  at trailhead on state land open for hunting last year.  Two of the labs were yellow.  Signs posted warned that is was hunting season and year-round dogs must be kept on a 6 foot leash or shorter.

This was no hunter - wore normal clothes, no firearms.  So he was not bird hunting.

Stupid acts like that could lead to: Sorry mister, thought that was a small deer with an abnormal tail.

I have been on three different state lands an watched people do this.  Almost had one guys dog come up to me. 

Even at Stewart State during deer gun season which is limited to hunters only for the three weeks of gun season, seeing hikers with dogs off leash - for example, wearing a day pack, light blue jacket, khaki pants, and sneakers with the empty leash in their hand while the dog trots ahead.

Did they get their dog kicked out of the dog park?  It is just three weeks that the place is restricted.

You loose your dog hiking that is off-leash (illegally) and now expect to have anyone you come across help find it or get search party to find.

I am not against sharing the place for recreation, just acts of stupidity and breaking the rules designed to protect everyone.  Like keep the hikers and dogs safe from accidental shooting and others from being bitten by their dog.

Look for the orange over my pop up blind

That wont save you.

Easily mistaken for a "Posted sign", and from what I read here, some guys like to shoot those OR pay no attention to them whatsoever.

No freaking way I'm crawling in a tent style ground blind during firearms season even with a little orange patch hanging near by.

Edited by wooly

It's comical to see the post from the guy that learned from his buddies that you shoot till you can't see with several people saying the time should be changed to 1/2 hour before and after sunset and then this topic about how ny is one of the safest in regards to accident numbers. I would wager that there is a connection to the higher rated safety numbers and the later/earlier legal shooting times.

I believe that just because "Vinnie" and "Tony" wear orange and only shoot sunrise to sunset it does not make them any safer than if they go to PA and wear orange and shoot 1/2 before and after legally. There will always be the "paulies" of the woods that just don't care. The attitude of I spent my money on my tag, if it moves and resembles brown I'm unloading on it.

Unfortunately for many of us that do not have large tracts of private land we will have to be on the lookout for these careless people before sunrise, after sunset all why wearing as much orange as we can get our hands on. Good luck and be safe

• Like 1

That wont save you.

Easily mistaken for a "Posted sign", and from what I read here, some guys like to shoot those OR pay no attention to them whatsoever.

No freaking way I'm crawling in a tent style ground blind during firearms season even with a little orange patch hanging near by.

There in lies my issue. I have a ground blind set up for my daughter.....

I'll be in a stand 30 yards from her , I also have an orange vest around a tree by her. We are on private heavily posted land,with the woods being an island in the center of large crop fields ,so no easy access for trespassers ,which we have had little problem with for the most part on my spot. You raise a good point though......

That wont save you.

Easily mistaken for a "Posted sign", and from what I read here, some guys like to shoot those OR pay no attention to them whatsoever.

No freaking way I'm crawling in a tent style ground blind during firearms season even with a little orange patch hanging near by.

well I'm still alive but it was kind of scary hearing gun fire around you sitting and hoping they see my orange flag over my blind ... Edited by ryan
  • Like 1

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/cops-dad-errantly-shoots-kills-son-hunting-27108055

I still can't figure for the life of me how this happens. Whenever I see another hunter in the woods, I pull off my orange hat, and use it in my hand, and I start waving like crazy until I get a response from the other guy. 99% of the time, he will wave back.

None of these articles say if they decease was wearing orange.

Even yesterday in the extreme cold, I saw a guy full camo, with just an orange hat. It was fairly easy to spot him with just the orange hat.

If I only have a split second to shoot, I'm not shooting. I'm usually staring at he deer for some time picking out the best shot opportunity. I ax clearly ID a hunter in that amount of time. It's these hunters making quick shots at the slightest movements that are causing these accidents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk