On Ethics

Curmudgeon

Why do I care about what kinds of practices travel under the name of hunting? It doesn't effect me does it? Well, as a matter of fact, it does. Unfortunately, society paints us all with the same brush. During my entire life, hunting has been an activity that I have been closely identified with. When I say I am a hunter, or people mention that I was a hunter after I am gone, I don't want images to pop into people's heads of some guy leaning against a fence settling the crosshairs on some critter eating out of a feeding trough. There are also a whole lot of other hunting practices that I don't want hunting to be associated with. So yes, I am opinionated, and vocal about those things that I do not want anyone to even think that I participate in. And yes, I do add those feelings to what I consider "personal ethics".

Oh but some schmuck shooting a guy thats pulling a deer out does not do the same. Bull... Like the guy this wekend that shot a deer out of a horse pasture while standing near the horses, while putting on a drive,while trespassing on posted property does not do the same or even much worse for a hunters name? Bull...

You just use this Bullsh!t shooting off a trough because you dont like high fence but then you have no problem with an animal being chased up a tree by a pack of dogs and then shot by a so called hunter or you are ok with an animal being blown off a bait pile by a so called hunter. 

The word Hunter can be used in many ways and the only time it is used in a bad manner is when the use does not agree with that person.  You like to call yourself a hunter correct?  If i put you on a preserve with a bow in your hand, showed you a buck and gave you a week to kill that deer do you think you could pass the test? And would you go public and say what an epic failure you had when the week was over and that buck walked up to the trough on Day Number 8.

I just don't think it is ethical to get a bunch of tags, use them all and not eat any venison at all.  You want to hunt and donate some meat, fine.  Take a deer and donate it.

But fill-up a bow, muzzle-loader, buck, and 2 doe DMP's on public lands and donate it all when there are others that are looking to get a deer to fill their own freezer to get through the winter, just does not sit right to me.

Sounds like those "others" ought to step up their game. So in your view a guy who buys his tags and uses a deer or two a year for themselves, should just quit hunting because others have a hard time shooting a deer? Sounds like entitlement and hunter welfare to me.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

What's Wrong is for any MAN even contemplating what is right or wrong concerning what decisions a woman has to make considering her physical and mental health and how those decisions effect HER life

Clearly you missed my point. Laws are constantly being made and changed based off of someone's opinion of what's ethical. And this includes the many woman in congress. But because that point seemed to fly over your head, how about I change my question to asking if the death penalty is right or wrong.

Oh but some schmuck shooting a guy thats pulling a deer out does not do the same. Bull... Like the guy this wekend that shot a deer out of a horse pasture while standing near the horses, while putting on a drive,while trespassing on posted property does not do the same or even much worse for a hunters name? Bull...

You just use this Bullsh!t shooting off a trough because you dont like high fence but then you have no problem with an animal being chased up a tree by a pack of dogs and then shot by a so called hunter or you are ok with an animal being blown off a bait pile by a so called hunter. 

The word Hunter can be used in many ways and the only time it is used in a bad manner is when the use does not agree with that person.  You like to call yourself a hunter correct?  If i put you on a preserve with a bow in your hand, showed you a buck and gave you a week to kill that deer do you think you could pass the test? And would you go public and say what an epic failure you had when the week was over and that buck walked up to the trough on Day Number 8.

Damn Gomer, everything is not about you and your little deer zoo. I simply gave one example of something that people call hunting that I really don't want to be associated with, and you get all butt-hurt. As far as all the other stuff that you listed, how about letting me make up my own mind as to how I feel about them rather than having you tell me my opinion.

• Like 2

Why does Belo do this stuff?

WRONG! Any man or woman who chooses to kill a product of their casual sexual escapade for the benefit of their own future comfort is wrong! If it's not a LIFE THREATENING pregnancy to the mother, it's wrong. If we decide death by the lack of a beating heart, why do we not define it as life when the heart starts beating?

How does a woman justify her physical and mental health and how those decisions effect HER life, while taking an innocent life that has no say in the matter of it's life? Give it up for adoption and let it have it's life!

Just the fact the SCOTUS had to do legal gymnastics to say it falls under the privacy issue, should be enough to make any intelligent human being agree it's wrong! Besides, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was very clear her motive was to control the population of minorities in America. That's a FACT! How is that not wrong?

I'm just fed up with all of the Godlessness America has come to embrace and I'm not going to be polite about it anymore. But that's my own opinion, and it's is not open to debate with me, so save it.

Really? Really?

Belo, do me a favor, back off. You wouldn't know your own tool from a screwdriver. You flip flop like a dying rabbit and no one cares.

Great resort to name calling. A true sign of intelligence in a healthy debate. You claimed it was easy to show right from wrong. Just in one page my example proved that there are differences in opinion on if abortion is right or wrong. I guess it doesn't surprise me that you and a flew others flew off the handle. It was simply an example that what is right to you is not right for others and that's where terms like values, morals and ethics become tricky.

Was that so hard?

Edited by burmjohn

People, being completely human, may have different opinions about what is right and wrong.  But the reality of the situation is some things are right and some are wrong.  The people who intentionally misjudge things, do so for their own convenience.

BTW, the death penalty is earned!  The brutality of most murders is nowhere near simply putting the murderer to sleep.  If you know you will get the death penalty for committing certain crimes, why should anyone feel wrong about executing you?

What amazes me is some people support abortion and oppose the death penalty.  That has to be some form of mental illness.

..............................That has to be some form of mental illness.

Not helpful.

This is supposed to be about hunting but we can't seem to stay on topic. When discussing the death penalty or abortion the issue is who do you trust to make these decisions? Do you trust the government?

Edited by Curmudgeon

Regarding ethics, certain things require laws in order to promote an ordered society.  As long as the laws instituted by the government reflect the will of the people, I'm not against them.

I don't trust government to always do what is the will of the people.  I think the last six years are proof that it cannot be trusted.  The problem is, the people are allowing it to get away with it.

MAN even contemplating what is right or wrong concerning what decisions a woman has to make

I change my question to asking if the death penalty is right or wrong.

No it didn't fly over my head...it prompted my opinion just as my opinion promted MR VJP's opinion. As for the next quote..heres my answer...when a murder is without question commited with intentent and malice, Yes I believe the death penalty applies...infact my own Father committed such a murder and I would have gladly seen him put down for it...It was planned and he chased the guy down after blowing his shoulder off then reloaded a dbl barrel and as they guy begged for his life he cut him intwo..This account from his own mouth to me......So yep, souless a -holes need not be allowed to live...BTW and I won't debate it...abortion and the death penalty are worlds apart...

Edited by growalot

Damn Gomer, everything is not about you and your little deer zoo. I simply gave one example of something that people call hunting that I really don't want to be associated with, and you get all butt-hurt. As far as all the other stuff that you listed, how about letting me make up my own mind as to how I feel about them rather than having you tell me my opinion.

Well Pumpkin, It looks like its you that brought me and my successful deer farm into the conversation..Again! We all know what you were replying to and we all know the use of examples because the 2 i wrote are only a couple off a long list of things that hurt hunting way more than high fence.  Flame on!!!

Its also kinda funny how you could have any kind of an opinion about something you have never done and are clueless about. But again..Just have to look where its coming from!

There, Now you went and did it. You just made NSA's list...lol

I've been on the feds radar since the Reagan administration. Since I was opposed to the dirty war in El Salvador, my name was on the CISPES mailing list when Reagan's guys broke into their office and stole it. I'm not a pacifist per se. I just think we should pick and choose our wars more carefully.

Hunters are a more diverse group than some might believe. This photo is of a friend's car after a successful hunt. I hope you can read the bumper sticker.

post-5300-0-31331800-1417542666_thumb.jp

Edited by Curmudgeon

Bull...You dont call it hunting!  They can call it anything they want. Its them thats doing it and its only their business. Not yours! Not mine..Theirs and theirs only.  You call shooting a bear out of a tree bear hunting? Yeah Whatever!!!!

No, I dont call it hunting. Sorry, but shooting an animal in a pen that it cant escape, that lacks the normal fear of humans is not hunting to me. I dont have a problem with people doing it, but it is not hunting.

Now ask me about what goes on inside a fenced area that is as large/larger than the typical deer's home range....

See, you dont seem to understand that issues are rarely black and white to me. High fence is an issue that has many shades in my eyes.

I do in fact, see dog hunting as a viable form of hunting, no matter what species you are using the dogs for. As long as its legal in the area you are doing it in, its fine by me. If a bear, or mountain lion, or raccoon, etc is treed by dogs, and you shoot it, thats fine.

No it didn't fly over my head...it prompted my opinion just as my opinion promted MR VJP's opinion. As for the next quote..heres my answer...when a murder is without question commited with intentent and malice, Yes I believe the death penalty applies...infact my own Father committed such a murder and I would have gladly seen him put down for it...It was planned and he chased the guy down after blowing his shoulder off then reloaded a dbl barrel and as they guy begged for his life he cut him intwo..This account from his own mouth to me......So yep, souless a -holes need not be allowed to live...BTW and I won't debate it...abortion and the death penalty are worlds apart...

Crazy story. Just curious, how do you cut a man into two pieces?

No, I dont call it hunting. Sorry, but shooting an animal in a pen that it cant escape, that lacks the normal fear of humans is not hunting to me. I dont have a problem with people doing it, but it is not hunting.

Now ask me about what goes on inside a fenced area that is as large/larger than the typical deer's home range....

See, you dont seem to understand that issues are rarely black and white to me. High fence is an issue that has many shades in my eyes.

I do in fact, see dog hunting as a viable form of hunting, no matter what species you are using the dogs for. As long as its legal in the area you are doing it in, its fine by me. If a bear, or mountain lion, or raccoon, etc is treed by dogs, and you shoot it, thats fine.

Thats killing something that another animal hunted..Not you  .All you did was load a gun and kill it. You hunt that animal.Mono to Mono and kill it? Then call yourself a hunter.  You know as well as i do that there are very few ranches that dont have 100's of acres and animals that without cam's you will never even see. Deer inside are 3 times more jumpy around people than wild deer because they have been around humans.and i can tell you for a fact that i can show you many places thats harder to kill a deer inside than it is outside.

Regardless as to the Op

Legal does not make it hunting in my eyes and eyes of many. Blowing an animal out of a tree or off a bait pile. Yup that took alot of hunting skills!

Well you step through a resturant window after having shot him through the bar window with the 12ga taking out his shoulder  new years eve 1984...then you find where he crawled behind the bar to the kitchen door and tried to crawl out the back kitchen door but could go no further...you step through the waiters dinning room door walk into the kitchen where the guy was on the floor and leaning aganst I believe the stove...you load up two more shells in the dbl barrel in front of him as he begged.... looking at the guy from just a few feet away and as your wife enters from the bar door say "This is her fault" then pulled both triggers....it pretty much cut him in two ....Biz... remember ppl live in this area it was in the papers and there was a man hunt NYS failed miserably when it came to any justice here...BTW his wife was not my mother...