Beating myself up

Yotehntr

So I have hunted A LOT this year between bow and the firearm season.  I wouldn't call myself a trophy hunter because i don't make sure what I shoot is over 3 yrs, 140 class yada yada yada.  However I do have a requirement that it be 6 or bigger as goes for our whole group on the property we have in 6S.  So as it goes I have let may "little guys" go that were anything from spikes to crotches with guard horns and a bunch of short nosed does, I prefer the grey long faced heavy does if I am to shoot one.  Yesterday since we have not seen many deer at all this season I decided to take a walk in the thick swamp where I knew they were hiding.  I found a good buck track chasing a doe and got on it trying my best to stalk them.  Well my clumsiness and weighing 240 before heavy clothes makes that pretty impossible though I try.  I did manage to follow for a while and found where I had jumped them and got em moving again.  As I was pulling myself out of a hole in the swamp I saw 5 something run by no shots but texted my brother in law to tell him.  I continued on following the buck and doe and came to an area completely littered with tracks and beds.  I stopped to rest and look around and saw 12 more through the thick from back down no look at heads to see what they were.  I met up with my B-I-L and told him so he said well lets go push the other swamp.  we got set up and he started walking.  It wasn't long and I heard my Uncle in law shoot.  My B-I-L called to say that it was a miss and the does ran back in, and to sit tight.  As I was talking to him I see movement through the pines and throw my phone into the snow with him still talking.  I see what looks like a decent size deer coming and I pick a hole.  Once that deer hit it I let him have one.  He goes down then picks his head up and I see what I thought were spikes.  Now I'm pissed at myself.  Come to find out... if you go by the ring method its a 5pt but if you go by the inch method he's only a 3.  So I have been beating myself up for shooting this thing but everyone keeps telling me it meat!  I guess they are right I just hate shooting such a small deer and this one could have had potential with what he had for headgear already.  post-1885-0-73936300-1417470087_thumb.jp 

• Like 1

don't beat yourself up. A hard earned deer towards the end of the season can be more rewarding than the big 8 who shows up in early October. In my short hunting life I shot a bb I thought was a doe, a 5 I thought was a lot bigger and a very small doe which I thought was bigger.

Having standards is good, but when we're burned out and frustrated they can fall. Sort of like 2am last call at a bar :)

I think it gets easier the longer you hunt and helps build motivation to scout better, control your scent and practice and prep more for the coming years. I have no doubt a lot of deer are wounded by hunters who are desperate and just fire away.

I think a lot of guys try to harvest a freezer doe early just to avoid this kind of thing and I've begin subscribing to that philosophy. At the end of the day you made a good shot and have a good eating deer you worked hard for. Put the horns up in the barn as a reminder to work even harder.

Also, I've never understood the hunter who knows he missed. Too many deer act differently to know for sure you missed. Hope he tracked it at least a little ways.

Who's the guy in the picture?

He looks like a pretty happy fella to me with that deer!

Tell him congrats on a fine buck, hunt, and a pretty cool story that goes along with it.

I'm not sure what the heck YOU'RE beating yourself up over. You should hang out with that guy in the picture more often. He seems very positive and likeable while you're so negative,lol

• Like 6

I learned to head to the woods expecting to shoot nothing,regardless of the big boys I have on cam,or see just out of range during gun. When I do decide to shoot I am pleased as I had planned on getting nothing. The release of that presure. To get a big one h as alowed me to get some of my biggest animals the last 10 years. I also advise to stop watching the big buck hunting shows,and big buck magazines. Learn to enjoy the hunt for the joy of nature, you'll be much happier in the long

run

First off, congrats and do not think about it again.  Nothing wrong with any deer if taken legally.  A local in my neighborhood, who is considered by many one of the most skilled bow hunters around told me something last year that really sort of put it into perspective.  He also owns his own Taxidermy Shop.  I was in his shop taking the buck I harvested in my picture to the left. I asked him how he consistently harvests large bucks, already knowing the week before he took a 130".  His reply was simple, "you have to be ok knowing that you might not harvest a any buck for many consecutive years".  This year I took a doe with the bow but passed a small 6 and spike waiting for a larger buck.  About 3 days later a mature heavy 8 point saw me draw at about 3 yards.  I should have let him walk a bit farther out but started to panic and rushed.  That's another story.  Either way, after telling my Brother the ordeal he says I bet you hope the 6 comes back.  I sure did the next few days but I can honestly say I'm happy he didn't.  Moral of my rambling, do what makes YOU happy!

If you decide to take a deer (on your tags) then take it. Nothing to apologize for or feel bad about.  There are snobs out there who like to dictate how everyone  should hunt but …screw them. they are just that …….snobs. I have been fortunate enough( and old enough)  to have taken some good deer over the years. But I like meat in the freezer too.  If it gets down to crunch time, which it is, I will drop a good doe or small buck, any day of the week. 

Congrats on your deer..