This is why some drive deer....

Nomad

Pushing deer is a lot like snagging salmon because you can't get them to bite.

Sure you can get your limit but it a far cry from ethical sportsmanship.

Dear Mr. Ethics -

I have a quandary. There are too many deer. They eat my crops. They damage my forest. My large family is poor and needs lots of meat. I have been told that "pushing deer" to shoot them is unethical. Other people tell me shooting deer is unethical. Some others say that eating meat is unethical. One whacko even says using lead ammunition is unethical. I abhor anything unethical. What should I do? Please advise.

Sincerely,

Confused 

Pushing deer is a lot like snagging salmon because you can't get them to bite.

Sure you can get your limit but it a far cry from ethical sportsmanship.

Hey! I caught  and ate a lot of those salmon back in the day.    Catching a 25# salmon hooked in the tail is a battle.

• Like 2

Dear Mr. Ethics -

I have a quandary. There are too many deer. They eat my crops. They damage my forest. My large family is poor and needs lots of meat. I have been told that "pushing deer" to shoot them is unethical. Other people tell me shooting deer is unethical. Some others say that eating meat is unethical. One whacko even says using lead ammunition is unethical. I abhor anything unethical. What should I do? Please advise.

Sincerely,

Confused

Dear mr. Confused

My advice to you would be change hunting strategy it's obviously not very effective if you still have too many deer. Maybe instead of blaming the deer heard in your area for all the damage they do you should blame yourself for for lack of education in deer management. I would also advise you to get a job to feed your poor family they shouldn't have to wait for you to run a deer down to eat.

I think they still use dogs to hunt deer in North Carolina maybe we should get Andy to legalized that in NY That way we can get rid of all these pesky deer.

Enough joking! we should all be Stewart's of the land and leave it better then we found it, be very thankful for the plentiful deer NY no matter how you hunt them they should be taken with respect.

Peace out girl scouts!

Enough joking! we should all be Stewart's of the land and leave it better then we found it, be very thankful for the plentiful deer NY no matter how you hunt them they should be taken with respect.

Peace out girl scouts!

What does "taken with respect" mean?

On too many deer: All kidding aside, in the past 3 years on my property we have averaged 1 deer for every 10 acres I own (80). Monday after opening weekend there were 21 feeding in the field across the road. We have killed 45 does in the past 15 years. Still, too many deer.